Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Dam I should've never bought the S7 edge and Nexus P it's to hard to decide, they are both equally nice.

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
After having my iPhone 7 plus for a week I have to say I agree on a lot of points. Apple does have some stuff perfected, like imessage (which Googles anemic response to should make them deeply ashamed). But most everything else seems half baked. It's fascinating that Android now has a more finished OS by far than Apple. Android widgets have been out for how many years? But Apple puts out their horribly minimally functional widgets out there proudly. I'm puzzled why the plus doesn't have multi screen support (cue the screen is too small whiners, BS I say). Of course the file system is one of the main things that is just puzzling, something that makes iOS more complicated in its quest for simplicity. The atrocity that is iTunes should be relegated back to 2010 where it belongs, let us do all that stuff on our phone and/or the web like Google does.

I hope Google hits it out of the park, although I've already expressed my opinion that they are shooting themselves in the foot with the underspecced and overpriced pixel. But my hopes still lay with Samsungs (of LG) foldable phone, please hurry up and release this so the smartphone/tablet market can have a new revolution which we haven't had for a long while.

Apple definitely does have some stuff pretty much perfected, but the overall experience to me isn't any better than it is on a stock Android device or even a top of the line Samsung phone. Messaging works INCREDIBLY well. Battery life is insane - I rarely, if ever, have to worry about not making it through a day. And it is reliable - plus I know that Apple will back me up if something goes wrong. But other than these aspects, unless you're already neck deep in Apple integration and ecosystem, I just simply do not see how this is a better experience than Android. I much prefer the widgets in Android that I can see as soon as I unlock my phone. I can see notes and my calendar immediately and know what I have coming up. I can put only my most used apps right there on the home screen. And have the rest tucked away. I can set Chrome to be my default browser. Or Dolphin. Or Opera. Or anything else. I'm not locked into Safari. I can text from ANY computer on earth, not just Apple computers. Notifications are much better, especially since Nougat. They aren't just some gigantic blobs of little information. I can use quick access to get into Wi-Fi settings, and others, plus I can customize what's in that area. Things I actually need. Not what Apple delegates that I need.

I know this sounds like a rant, but I've grown so so so tired of Apple. Yes, they make GREAT products. Yes they are absolutely premium. But I just don't see where they are better than the Android alternative. And Macs, don't even get me started there. Talk about overpriced...

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Apple definitely does have some stuff pretty much perfected, but the overall experience to me isn't any better than it is on a stock Android device or even a top of the line Samsung phone. Messaging works INCREDIBLY well. Battery life is insane - I rarely, if ever, have to worry about not making it through a day. And it is reliable - plus I know that Apple will back me up if something goes wrong. But other than these aspects, unless you're already neck deep in Apple integration and ecosystem, I just simply do not see how this is a better experience than Android. I much prefer the widgets in Android that I can see as soon as I unlock my phone. I can see notes and my calendar immediately and know what I have coming up. I can put only my most used apps right there on the home screen. And have the rest tucked away. I can set Chrome to be my default browser. Or Dolphin. Or Opera. Or anything else. I'm not locked into Safari. I can text from ANY computer on earth, not just Apple computers. Notifications are much better, especially since Nougat. They aren't just some gigantic blobs of little information. I can use quick access to get into Wi-Fi settings, and others, plus I can customize what's in that area. Things I actually need. Not what Apple delegates that I need.

I know this sounds like a rant, but I've grown so so so tired of Apple. Yes, they make GREAT products. Yes they are absolutely premium. But I just don't see where they are better than the Android alternative. And Macs, don't even get me started there. Talk about overpriced...

I have to agree. I'd rather not be locked into either ecosystem and have the freedom to choose. The only thing holding me back from going to a Nexus a Pixel is iMessage. I'm in the US and pretty much everyone I converse with has an iPhone so iMessage is just the default. It's hard to get people to switch to a third party chat app.

Reactions: Wildo6882

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I have to agree. I'd rather not be locked into either ecosystem and have the freedom to choose. The only thing holding me back from going to a Nexus a Pixel is iMessage. I'm in the US and pretty much everyone I converse with has an iPhone so iMessage is just the default. It's hard to get people to switch to a third party chat app.

That's why I use Google pretty much everything. It works on whatever I need it to work on. I don't use iTunes or Apple Music for anything. So I'm not locked in. iMessage is definitely nice. But as long as text messages work, there are work around a for pics and videos. Facebook messenger works great for videos. Plus Google Photos is incredible for sending multiple pics and videos. So it isn't the end of the world. It is a bit of a pain, but easily worked around.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
Well I decided to keep the S7 edge. Nexus P was great but the volume buttons on the right were getting pressed accidently to often. The fingerprint scan in the back although quick is in a awkward spot for me. It was also a smidgen to wide. It's a nice device but the S7 is more suitable for me.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
That's why I use Google pretty much everything. It works on whatever I need it to work on. I don't use iTunes or Apple Music for anything. So I'm not locked in. iMessage is definitely nice. But as long as text messages work, there are work around a for pics and videos. Facebook messenger works great for videos. Plus Google Photos is incredible for sending multiple pics and videos. So it isn't the end of the world. It is a bit of a pain, but easily worked around.

Therein lies the rub. I don't want a "work around" for photos and videos. Most people I send photos or videos to don't use any third party work arounds. If Google could make a messaging platform (and kill all the other apps they have as messaging apps) that works similar to iMessage, then I could get on board. The problem is people on iPhones would not use the google app and continue using iMessage. I wish there was some universal App that both platforms could share and be "standard", but that will never happen.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
Therein lies the rub. I don't want a "work around" for photos and videos. Most people I send photos or videos to don't use any third party work arounds. If Google could make a messaging platform (and kill all the other apps they have as messaging apps) that works similar to iMessage, then I could get on board. The problem is people on iPhones would not use the google app and continue using iMessage. I wish there was some universal App that both platforms could share and be "standard", but that will never happen.

For photos regular SMS works fine. I've sent and received tons with my wife when I had an Android phone and when I've been on iOS. And she will not use anything Apple. Videos is definitely another story. But we use Google Photos for everything, and that works much better than iMessage because we can send entire albums of photos and videos with the click of a button. My family is all on it or Facebook Messenger, so it's a pretty easy work around. The only thing I ever want to send are pics or videos of the kids to close family. So it isn't the end of the world using another app that everyone uses anyway. I understand that my situation doesn't mirror everyone else's. And I agree that there should be one app to rule them all.

CaleM3

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
For photos regular SMS works fine. I've sent and received tons with my wife when I had an Android phone and when I've been on iOS. And she will not use anything Apple. Videos is definitely another story. But we use Google Photos for everything, and that works much better than iMessage because we can send entire albums of photos and videos with the click of a button. My family is all on it or Facebook Messenger, so it's a pretty easy work around. The only thing I ever want to send are pics or videos of the kids to close family. So it isn't the end of the world using another app that everyone uses anyway. I understand that my situation doesn't mirror everyone else's. And I agree that there should be one app to rule them all.

Yea, I use Google photos as well as I don't want to pay to back up my pictures on the iCloud. Everyone that I know is mostly not "tech savvy" therefore, they only use the stock apps that come on their phones. I know that Facebook messenger is a good alternative and most people do have that app, but not everyone uses Facebook either. I feel like everything is to partitioned or segmented when it comes to 3rd party apps. There are too many of them. Google photos, iMessage, Facebook messenger, Allo, Hangouts, Google Messenger, WhatsApp, Snapchat, etc etc....I feel like I have to use 12 different apps to accomplish different tasks. The great thing about iMessage, at this point, is that it basically solves a lot of these problems on the iPhone, but if I want to switch back to Android (Just got my iPhone 7+ in the mail today), I want something that will work similarly to iMessage.

Additionally, I'm really interested to see what the Pixel XL offers as I wasn't thrilled with the build quality of my Nexus 6P (returned it due to terrible screen and the bending of the phone). I really liked my Nexus 5 and then had a OnePlus One after that. I've at least owned all Nexus Phones since the Nexus 4, but most of them I sold after a few weeks or returned. I returned both the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 6P. I'm really hoping that the Pixel XL can buck that trend.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
First off, getting away from the iPhone is a great choice, iOS just blows IMO, and the iPhone 7 Plus is nothing special whatsoever. It's so dated and lame, I don't ever see myself going back to Apple, just no point.

Going to Android is smart, and Nexus is the only right option, stay away from Samsung and LG with thier horrible and not needed UI's vomiting all over beautiful stock Android. Touchwiz just sucks.

I'm still rocking the 6P and love it. I've also recently had the Note 5, HTC 10, and LG G5, and the Nexus 6P blows all three of those out of the water.

But if it's your first time Nexus, I say go for broke and get the latest and greatest hardware, wait for the Pixel XL next month. It may not be the prettiest phone, but who cares about looks once there's a case covering it. The hardware is more efficient and will give better battery life than the 6P. Plus it will be a bit faster and smoother too, than the 6P.

I say get the Pixel XL I highly doubt you'll be disappointed

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Just wanted to say that I picked up a S7 edge while waiting for my Nexus P and I'm utterly impressed, it's way better than that laggy s6 I had. It's going to be a tuff decision.
I just couldn't get use to how it felt when holding it. Also the phantom touches bothered me

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
First off, getting away from the iPhone is a great choice, iOS just blows IMO, and the iPhone 7 Plus is nothing special whatsoever. It's so dated and lame, I don't ever see myself going back to Apple, just no point.

I do agree that iOS is dated and rather slow and dull. Aesthetically being forced to have home screens littered with icons and no ability to avoid the predetermined grid spacing makes all iPhones look the same. Now that the honeymoon is over Twitter is awash with pundits admitting that iPhone 7 isn't much of an upgrade. A recycled iPhone 6 at best, Apple blew an opportunity to innovate.

Going to Android is smart, and Nexus is the only right option, stay away from Samsung and LG with thier horrible and not needed UI's vomiting all over beautiful stock Android. Touchwiz just sucks.

TouchWiz as implemented on my Galaxy S7 and Note 7 is not bad, yet I greatly prefer stock Android as it appears on my Nexus 5X and 6P models.

I'm still rocking the 6P and love it. I've also recently had the Note 5, HTC 10, and LG G5, and the Nexus 6P blows all three of those out of the water.

Yes I agree, my absolute favorite and hence my primary smartphone is my Nexus 6P.

One reason I can truly appreciate it, is the fact that each year I've had every flagship from HTC, Samsung, Motorola, Apple, LG, OPPO, OnePlus and others. It's been educational and fun.

The Pixel XL hardware is more efficient and will give better battery life than the 6P. Plus it will be a bit faster and smoother too, than the 6P.

I will reserve my opinion about the Pixel XL until I have one in hand to test myself. Can't imagine it being smoother, my Nexus 6 P is flawless. Transitions are seamless and fast.

In the meantime I say get the bargain priced Nexus 6P while it's still available... you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany

And that's something I don't want, why ask for more vendor lock in?

Reactions: phoneguy265

phoneguy265

Suspended
Sep 11, 2016
And that's something I don't want, why ask for more vendor lock in?

Totally agree. I think those dogging Allo just dismiss it because it isn't iMessage. the @google integration is absolutely amazing. Every day I leave I can write to my wife "@google time to home". Boom. She gets a map with traffic integrated. I truly see this as the future of messaging. The response suggestions are amazing as well.

People hung up on SMS relay are living in the past. Good on Google for trying to move past it. I totally am happy it is not a locked in app like iMessage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.