Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oh goodness I've just seen a rare Really Blue XL for sale in Ireland !!!! I am tempted to sell my standard Pixel and buy it .... would it be madness with Pixel 2 coming October !!! Aghhhh so tempted

Reactions: Roadstar

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
Oh goodness I've just seen a rare Really Blue XL for sale in Ireland !!!! I am tempted to sell my standard Pixel and buy it .... would it be madness with Pixel 2 coming October !!! Aghhhh so tempted

I have been contemplating the same MRU but decided to see what the sequels look like in the end!

Reactions: MRU

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well restraint didn't work ..... bought the Really Blue XL today. Should be here monday.

So close.
dfbb2647054b2a4c6c68c22656f610d2.jpg

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm excited for you.
I remember two guys (builders) coming into CPW when I worked there after picking their Pixel XL Blue's up from EE across the way. They came in to see if we had cheaper cases. :D

They'd just got them out the box and my word they were so sexy. Blue colour definitely looks amazing on Pixel.

Reactions: MRU

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Wanted to drop in and ask a quick question -- Is anyone here running Android O? How is it performing for you so far?

I ask because I finally received the Android O OTA notification, however I'm timid to download version 8.0 in case of major bugs. I've made that mistake too many times with iOS.

-- edit: Nexus 6P user here

Reactions: epicrayban

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Wanted to drop in and ask a quick question -- Is anyone here running Android O? How is it performing for you so far?

I ask because I finally received the Android O OTA notification, however I'm timid to download version 8.0 in case of major bugs. I've made that mistake too many times with iOS.

Running on my Pixel XL and it's been great.
Strangely my Pixel which I sold when I bought the XL recently never got the OTA prompt and yet the XL got it the day I set it up.

I personally love the new aesthetics throughout the OS including the enhancements to the GooglePane etc.. and it's been buttery smooth for me. There are a couple of apps that I tried which have difficulty on O simply because they haven't been updated in years, and they were non essential apps as far as I use, so I just uninstalled them.

But everything else is running great even the infamously finicky Google Play Music is working fantastically whereas it still has the odd bursts of manic unresponsiveness on my G6 with Nougat.

Android O on the pixel has re-affirmed for me that Stock Android is the best version of android for me. It's the smoothest and meets all my requirements.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

This is why I don't value day-one updates so much. I fear bugs.

I've definitely seen a few reports. Read this just yesterday: http://www.androidauthority.com/lat...ables-mobile-data-pixel-nexus-devices-799872/

Latest Android Oreo bug disables mobile data on some Pixel and Nexus devices

Having said that, from what I hear, Android beta versions are surprisingly stable. And I'm sure Google is looking into next round of patches.

Reactions: MRU and v0lume4

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Thanks for the answers fellas. I appreciate it. I'll give them some thought.

My concern is that a x.0.1 update could be a ways away -- I've already been waiting two weeks for 8.0! So the temptation might get the best of me. Will report back if I go through with the download. :p Though it's encouraging to hear that you've had a good experience, @MRU .

Reactions: MRU and epicrayban

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
@MRU @epicrayban

Installed Oreo, fellas. Running on a Nexus 6P. Oreo added some ugly white squares around a few of my app icons, like Google Chrome and YouTube. Has that happened to either of you? I'm assuming it's a Nexus thing and not a Pixel thing, since the Pixel has round icons by default I think. Any way to change this? Attached is a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170912-210734.png
    Screenshot_20170912-210734.png
    790.9 KB · Views: 91

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
@MRU @epicrayban

Installed Oreo, fellas. Running on a Nexus 6P. Oreo added some ugly white squares around a few of my app icons, like Google Chrome and YouTube. Has that happened to either of you? I'm assuming it's a Nexus thing and not a Pixel thing, since the Pixel has round icons by default I think. Any way to change this? Attached is a screenshot.

Easiest way is to change the launcher, I'd imagine.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
@MRU @epicrayban

If you hold down an empty space on the home screen and go to settings, do you get the option to change the icon shape?

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
If you hold down an empty space on the home screen and go to settings, do you get the option to change the icon shape?
As far as I can tell, no I cannot.

It's strange. I'm running stock Android and the Google Now launcher (which is the stock launcher for my device). It was only when I updated to Oreo today that my app icons got the square treatment.

It's only happened to YouTube, the Play Store, thr Google app, and Chrome.

Maybe it's just an Oreo thing.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
As far as I can tell, no I cannot.

It's strange. I'm running stock Android and the Google Now launcher (which is the stock launcher for my device). It was only when I updated to Oreo today that my app icons got the square treatment.

It's only happened to YouTube, the Play Store, thr Google app, and Chrome.

Maybe it's just an Oreo thing.
Well, I know it's a new feature they put in the pixel launcher for Oreo, weird that it's effecting you with the standard Google now launcher.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.