Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
That link doesnt show me what I said Google now does. Google now checks your calendar. If you have a dentist appointment at 1pm and lets say your having lunch. If will give you a notification that you should leave soon if you want to reach your appointment on time based on current traffic conditions.
Your link shows siri suggesting places to go when you get in your car.

There is many more features that Google now has which siri lacks. Saying siri is better integrated because of 1 scenario is not saying much at all.

The one scenario that matters to ME Google Now does not do. That was my starting point. Telling me that Siri does not do this, that, or the other does not change the fact that Siri can navigate to an address from my contacts. Google Now doesn't do that.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Google now checks your calendar. If you have a dentist appointment at 1pm and lets say your having lunch. If will give you a notification that you should leave soon if you want to reach your appointment on time based on current traffic conditions.
It's more than that - if the appointment and location is in your calendar you can check Google Now early to get a departure time based on real time traffic so you don't have to open Maps to check traffic. The departure notification is also based on real time traffic, which can be very important if you need to leave early due to an unavoidable accident or delay on your route.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
That link doesnt show me what I said Google now does. Google now checks your calendar. If you have a dentist appointment at 1pm and lets say your having lunch. If will give you a notification that you should leave soon if you want to reach your appointment on time based on current traffic conditions.

There is many more features that Google now has which siri lacks. Saying siri is better integrated because of 1 scenario is not saying much at all.

From the link:

"One way the upcoming operating system does that is by knowing when you get into your car, and predicting where you're probably planning to drive. iOS previously offered just estimated travel times in the Notification Center's Today view. But upon upgrading to iOS 9, users will find that travel directions will become even more convenient, with popular destinations automatically showing up on the iPhone's lock screen."

If it is not the same, then it is pretty damn close.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
From the link:

"One way the upcoming operating system does that is by knowing when you get into your car, and predicting where you're probably planning to drive. iOS previously offered just estimated travel times in the Notification Center's Today view. But upon upgrading to iOS 9, users will find that travel directions will become even more convenient, with popular destinations automatically showing up on the iPhone's lock screen."

If it is not the same, then it is pretty damn close.

how is this close?! lol

SIRI: You have to first get in your car, then siri is going to try and predict where you're going. This prediction seems it is going to be based on frequently travelled places...this is not smart.

Google Now: Alerts you when your on the toilet seat, hey you need to leave soon if you want to make it on time. Instead of trying to predict where you're going Google Now KNOWS where you're going. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Siri works better for you, that is understandable based on what you said. However don't say Siri is better integrated than Google Now because that is laughable.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

iOS now has the same functionality--I'm not aware if it's from Siri or iOS itself but if I have a location address in my appointment, I will receive a notification beforehand advising of current travel time and when I should leave. Sorry, can't post an example as I don't have an appointment on my calendar soon.

Yes, Google Now offers additional functionality not provided by Siri but I don't see them as identical services either. Google Now is polling your Gmail account to provide much of the information while the rest is provided based on dedicated parameters you have to manually set within Google Now (sports teams, weather locations, stocks), primarily determined by location services. I'm not criticizing it, quite the opposite--I really like using Google Now for this instant digital content, recommendations. However, if one doesn't use Gmail, how useful is it (genuine question, haven't tried this myself)?

I admittedly haven't used Google Now recently on an Android phone so I'm not certain if the personal digital assistance functionality has improved but I found it lacking for functions like voice commands to complete a task (text messaging, creating appointments, getting directions from my contacts as previously described in other posts here). I more often than not would be provided with a Google search for somebody's name or location and often, completing functions still required screen touches (I believe this has improved IIRC). I use Siri probably a couple dozen times a day, mostly for voice command functions (messaging, making calls, creating reminders, making appointments) but also to opens apps, play specific music/podcasts and very occasionally, to look up information. No, she's not perfect but she's improved dramatically over the years and I find her voice recognition to be really good (hey, if she can recognize the name 'Gryglewicz' when spoken, she's doing quite well ;)).

And the difference is Siri does 12 bing searches for "Mom's house" or "uncle gary's bar" before actually starting navigation. When Apple bought Siri, it completely stunted its growth.

Not sure how long it's been since you've used Siri but those searches are very quick now and straight into Apple Maps. I find navigation through Apple Maps to be better on the iPhone than Google Maps (though I personally find Waze to be the best when taking into account traffic delays, accidents, etc and is my navigation app of choice) but if I need to location up an POI, Google Maps is generally far superior.

Last edited:

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
iOS now has the same functionality--I'm not aware if it's from Siri or iOS itself but if I have a location address in my appointment, I will receive a notification beforehand advising of current travel time and when I should leave. Sorry, can't post an example as I don't have an appointment on my calendar soon.

Yes, Google Now offers additional functionality not provided by Siri but I don't see them as identical services either. Google Now is polling your Gmail account to provide much of the information while the rest is provided based on dedicated parameters you have to manually set within Google Now (sports teams, weather locations, stocks), primarily determined by location services. I'm not criticizing it, quite the opposite--I really like using Google Now for this instant digital content, recommendations.

I admittedly haven't used Google Now recently on an Android phone so I'm not certain if the personal digital assistance functionality has improved but I found it lacking for functions like voice commands to complete a task (text messaging, creating appointments, getting directions from my contacts as previously described in other posts here). I more often than not would be provided with a Google search for somebody's name or location and often, completing functions still required screen touches (I believe this has improved IIRC). I use Siri probably a couple dozen times a day, mostly for voice command functions (messaging, making calls, creating reminders, making appointments) but also to opens apps, play specific music/podcasts and very occasionally, to look up information. No, she's not perfect but she's improved dramatically over the years and I find her voice recognition to be really good (hey, if she can recognize the name 'Gryglewicz' when spoken, she's doing quite well ;)).

Not sure how long it's been since you've used Siri by those searches are very quick now and straight into Apple Maps. I find navigation through Apple Maps to be better on the iPhone than Google Maps (though I personally find Waze to be the best when taking into account traffic delays, accidents, etc and is my navigation app of choice) but if I need to location up an POI, Google Maps is generally far superior.

Thanks for the info. I agree with what you say for the most part. I don't really do much voice commands except setting reminders or calendar events. Therefore not experienced with either. What I utilize the most is Google Now integrating with my gmail account. I travel alot via air and Google now will pull my flight information automatically, updating me of delays, telling me to check in the night before, automatically giving me my boarding pass, giving me information such as hotels (or directions to the hotel if I had booked one already), places to go as I land at my destination, giving me translation if the country does not speak my native language, currency converter......all of this is done without me clicking a button or asking anything.

Siri might do some of these however usually require extra steps / not automated like Google now. Until Siri can integrate with Gmail or some other mailing client, it will always be behind Google Now.

Reactions: Vegastouch

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The one scenario that matters to ME Google Now does not do. That was my starting point. Telling me that Siri does not do this, that, or the other does not change the fact that Siri can navigate to an address from my contacts. Google Now doesn't do that.
Ok, thats one thing that i can confirm that Google Now doesnt do. I can just go to contacts and touch the address and it goes right to navigation though so that isnt a big deal to me. But that isnt the only thing i assume you use Siri for. Google Now does so many other things that Siri sucks at.

Everyday i see my roommate try to use Siri for things and most of the time she doesnt understand or just gives links(and annoyingly always says let me look that up and heres what i found all the time) while i do the same things he asks on Google Now and it not only brings it up without saying that annoying stuff but it also reads the answer to you on most things. Among other many little things it does without asking like it tells me where im parked, it tells me when to leave for work or appointments, automatically puts flight itinerarys on my calender with vital reminders, tracks packages, it will call a contact when i ask it to and create an email for contacts when i ask it to and it goes on and on.

I am glad you have one thing to brag about for Siri.

Last edited:

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
how is this close?! lol

SIRI: You have to first get in your car, then siri is going to try and predict where you're going. This prediction seems it is going to be based on frequently travelled places...this is not smart.

Google Now: Alerts you when your on the toilet seat, hey you need to leave soon if you want to make it on time. Instead of trying to predict where you're going Google Now KNOWS where you're going. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Siri works better for you, that is understandable based on what you said. However don't say Siri is better integrated than Google Now because that is laughable.

As stated in post 1605 Siri has the same functionality. It is in your calendar and Siri suggests to you when to leave and which route to take. I have used both Siri and Google Now and they are close in that respect.

It is better integrated because Siri reaches into your contacts finds the address and navigates you to that address. Google Now does not do that, hence it is less integrated.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
As stated in post 1605 Siri has the same functionality. It is in your calendar and Siri suggests to you when to leave and which route to take. I have used both Siri and Google Now and they are close in that respect.

It is better integrated because Siri reaches into your contacts finds the address and navigates you to that address. Google Now does not do that, hence it is less integrated.

So again I ask, Siri is better integrated because it does ONE THING over Google now? So the 100 things Google Now does over Siri doesnt matter because Siri does one thing better. Okay fine you win Sir.

Reactions: Vegastouch

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Ok, thats one thing that i can confirm that Google Now doesnt do. I can just go to contacts and touch the address and it goes right to navigation though so that isnt a big deal to me. But that isnt the only thing i assume you use Siri for. Google Now does so many other things that Siri sucks at.

Everyday i see my roommate try to use Siri for things and most of the time she doesnt understand or just gives links(and annoyingly always says let me look that up and heres what i found all the time) while i do the same things he asks on Google Now and it not only brings it up without saying that annoying stuff but it also reads the answer to you on most things. Among other many little things it does without asking like it tells me where im parked, it tells me when to leave for work or appointments, automatically puts flight itinerarys on my calender with vital reminders, tracks packages, it will call a contact when i ask it to and create an email for contacts when i ask it to and it goes on and on.

I am glad you have one thing to brag about for Siri.

Siri can do most of what you stated. Call a contact, e-mail a contact, give you directions to an appointment in your calendar (as stated in post 1605), will set-up reminders for you. I do not know about the others you listed as I have not tried them.

It is not bragging, it is what is important to me. My iPhone is my only nav system. I need it to be totally hands free. Siri allows me to do that.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What I utilize the most is Google Now integrating with my gmail account. I travel alot via air and Google now will pull my flight information automatically, updating me of delays, telling me to check in the night before, automatically giving me my boarding pass, giving me information such as hotels (or directions to the hotel if I had booked one already), places to go as I land at my destination, giving me translation if the country does not speak my native language, currency converter......all of this is done without me clicking a button or asking anything.

Agree about all of the above. I don't travel as often but having the info immediately available and to be automatically reminded is terrific. I also check my frequent package deliveries (curse your convenience Amazon!! :p) on Google Now. Thankfully, Google has made this functionality available on iOS as well.

I rely on the voice commands infinitely more though so I'm grateful Siri does this so well for me.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Finally got my 6P today :)

The initial impressions are good. The fingerprint scanner is really fast but unfortunately not that many apps support it yet, but I think that'll change soon enough. The Spigen Rugged Armor case I also got seems to provide a nice grip and some extra protection without adding too much extra bulk.

Reactions: andy2141 and MRU

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
So again I ask, Siri is better integrated because it does ONE THING over Google now? So the 100 things Google Now does over Siri doesnt matter because Siri does one thing better. Okay fine you win Sir.

Please list the 100 things that Google Now does that Siri does not do. There might be 3-4 things that each one does better than the other. But 100 things is a huge exaggeration.

Robisan

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2014
Please list the 100 things that Google Now does that Siri does not do. There might be 3-4 things that each one does better than the other. But 100 things is a huge exaggeration.
That it does not rely on iTunes to do anything counts for at least 50...

...that it doesn't require a minimum $650 (for measly 16gb) device to do anything counts for another 50.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

Well obviously I was exaggerating. Let me list a few (Siri may be able to do some not sure). The big difference is Google now you dont have to ask, it automatically gives info to you. Siri you will have to ask for most information.

1. Better integration with 3rd party apps.
2. Ability to automatically give you flight information as soon as you book your flight (siri not able to pull info from gmail). Hence you have to enter it manually.
3. Brings up news, articles, etc that you may be interested in based on what you have just researched
4. Gives you hotel booking information automatically, as well as info about hotel, etc
5. Google Now on tap
6. Reminder for where you parked.
7. Street View
8. Gives youtube video recap of your sports team (as stated earlier, Google now does it automatically...Siri you will have to ask for it).
9. Offers me places to go as soon as I land in a different state or country. Also gives me car rental companies, currency conversion, hotels nearby, google translate (again without me asking for any of this).
10. If I send an email or receive an email with a date and time, it is automatically added to my Calender.
11. If I google a series today and the new season starts March 10, 2016, google now gives me a card a few days before that season starts.
12. If I google a product and then later head to a mall, a card will come up showing me which stores has that product.
13. Automatically gives you your boarding pass once you're checked in.
14. Notification comes up for new articles of a blog you read regularly (no subscription to these blogs required).
15. if google interprets you wrong you can just say "no I said xyz".
16-100. Generally Google search gives better information.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Holy crap, you guys should stop ******** up the Nexus thread with the lame bickering over Siri v GN and start a thread for it

I might have typed almost that a few times but then deleted it. It made me feel better though.

On a side note. I decided to RMA my 5X and grabbed a 6S for pretty cheap off Swappa. Just need to sell my 6 Plus now.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
Holy crap, you guys should stop ******** up the Nexus thread with the lame bickering over Siri v GN and start a thread for it

you're right. Sorry about that.

My update: 6p has been going great. Battery life is still a bit meh. I think I am a heavy user though (getting about 4 hour SOT with 15 hr usage). I was just expecting more but it probably isn't bad.

Only time I have noticed throttling is after gaming for 1 hour then plugging in the phone right after to charge. Saw a little lag here or there. Didn't see any lag during gameplay though. Regarding heat, this is the coolest running phone I have used. I use a slim case and don't feel any heat at all after 1 hour of game play.

Camera: I notice after taking 3 HDR+ pictures with the stock camera app, it prevents you from taking any more until the pictures are done processing. Can be annoying but I know the buffer is full so that's that.

Fingerprint: has gotten better with more use (was great initially too). I realize if my hands are wet it picks up my fingerprint easier than when I just got it.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Well obviously I was exaggerating. Let me list a few (Siri may be able to do some not sure). The big difference is Google now you dont have to ask, it automatically gives info to you. Siri you will have to ask for most information.

1. Better integration with 3rd party apps.
2. Ability to automatically give you flight information as soon as you book your flight (siri not able to pull info from gmail). Hence you have to enter it manually.
3. Brings up news, articles, etc that you may be interested in based on what you have just researched
4. Gives you hotel booking information automatically, as well as info about hotel, etc
5. Google Now on tap
6. Reminder for where you parked.
7. Street View
8. Gives youtube video recap of your sports team (as stated earlier, Google now does it automatically...Siri you will have to ask for it).
9. Offers me places to go as soon as I land in a different state or country. Also gives me car rental companies, currency conversion, hotels nearby, google translate (again without me asking for any of this).
10. If I send an email or receive an email with a date and time, it is automatically added to my Calender.
11. If I google a series today and the new season starts March 10, 2016, google now gives me a card a few days before that season starts.
12. If I google a product and then later head to a mall, a card will come up showing me which stores has that product.
13. Automatically gives you your boarding pass once you're checked in.
14. Notification comes up for new articles of a blog you read regularly (no subscription to these blogs required).
15. if google interprets you wrong you can just say "no I said xyz".
16-100. Generally Google search gives better information.

Rather than go item by item, I will just post a link to a comparison that Cnet did. As you can see, one assistant has an edge in 3-4 things over the other and vice versa.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/proactive-siri-versus-google-now-on-tap-compared/

I do not know if you have used Siri on iOS 9, but it is much improved over the Siri in iOS 8.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
52041e8ed06d002d8e6492520bbb26f2.jpg

Yes Siri, neither do I ...

12fe4f4588e94f66df7df559596c651e.jpg

Ok fair enough ...

But, out of interest ..

04c60c470329aebfceeefcf9c5c84917.jpg

Well that explains that :)

------

Tried doing similar on Google Now, sadly it doesn't have the same impact when every time it just shows a webpage results and never answers back :(.

At least Siri hasn't had a sense of humour bypass that Google Now seems to have had.

Last edited:

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA

Ok fair enough ...

But, out of interest ..

------

Tried doing similar on Google Now, sadly it doesn't have the same impact when every time it just shows a webpage results and never answers back :(.

At least Siri hasn't had a sense of humour bypass that Google Now seems to have had.
Try telling Siri I am your father

unclejamaal

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2010
I am keeping the iPhone 6s Plus because ...

The ios keyboard is a godsend. I rarely ever make mistakes on it and auto correct is much more accurate than any keyboard I've used on android.

Screen is better on iPhone and the colours feel natural.

Hardware silent control.

Location services only comes on when the app is in foreground. Saves battery i guess.

Battery on 6s Plus is the first phone I've used which still has decent charge left at the end of the day after heavy usage. I had the Note 4 before this.

Volume and power buttons perfectly placed on the iPhone. Badly designed and next to each other and I still cannot get used to that despite having the nexus 7 tablet for the past few months too.

Sure android is a lot more open but the iPhone with jaikbreaking can be similar in terms of customisation.

I figured I can still get my showbox etc on the nexus and still have the best of both worlds.

I might reconsider the 6p if price drops a little. I feel at £499 its a little overpriced for what a nexus should be.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Ok fair enough ...

But, out of interest ..

------

I guess that's good,.. If I wanted to have a conversation with my phone. But, i dont, i just want info so I'll take the extras it gives while not sacraficing needless space saved for conversations.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I guess that's good,.. If I wanted to have a conversation with my phone. But, i dont, i just want info so I'll take the extras it gives while not sacraficing needless space saved for conversations.

What 'space' is it using up ? Regardless I think you missed my point; I just think it's interesting to see how Apple have approached voice assistant as an actual 'being' capable of mimicry whereas google's now doesn't.

However in real use I find neither practical or as advantageous as just simply typing into a search what I want or going into an app and doing exactly what I want/need. Likewise I expect that the majority of people are not using the voice assistant features of any of these devices whether it be siri, cortana or google now.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
What 'space' is it using up ? Regardless I think you missed my point; I just think it's interesting to see how Apple have approached voice assistant as an actual 'being' capable of mimicry whereas google's now doesn't.

However in real use I find neither practical or as advantageous as just simply typing into a search what I want or going into an app and doing exactly what I want/need. Likewise I expect that the majority of people are not using the voice assistant features of any of these devices whether it be siri, cortana or google now.
I was refering to the size of the program but maybe that isnt applicable, im not sure. As for voice assistant, i use it all the time and prefer it to typing it in. Sometimes i text by voice but most of the time it is by keyboard. Everything else is pretty much done by voice. Half the time i type an address in maps and i find Google Now to be much better at it than Siri who seems 95% of the time refers you to a link when asking it things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.