Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Yea that is probably wishful thinking for a camera on par with the note 4 on either models honestly, certainly not lg. huawei would have a better shot. I really hope the lg is 1080p

It'll be 1080P minimum, the 2K thing doesn't seem to be a widespread rumour. But we will see I guess over the coming weeks. I don't have the money for a Note 4 yet so will be paying attention to the Nexus rumours.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
A question I do have, based on the current knowledge of the new Snap Dragon 620 SOC, will it be more powerful then the 805 is? As it is an octo core chip with this next gen Adreno 510 GPU.

The rumoured Sony 13mpx sensor for the LG Nexus gets a good write up in the Heuwai P8 that uses the same sensor, and thats with a smaller aperture and no laser focusing system:

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_p8-review-1263p8.php

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
First leaked back of the LG

2d699d2a8d9b61e590bb603572260a3b.jpg

HTC called and asked for their One X case to be given back ;). Heck it even looks like a cheaper Lumia handset .

Hope the huawei looks a little more premium ....

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

HTC called and asked for their One X case to be given back ;). Heck it even looks like a cheaper Lumia handset .

Imagine if that mediocre case holds an amazing phone with an awesome camera.

Then remember it's a Nexus and forget about the camera...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I just came to post that PIC haha, the phone looks really nice I think, has the same shade white by the looks of it as the last LG Nexus did. I don't think the camera hump will be that bad, considering the Samsung humps.

The last full leaked specs are pretty good too, the Snap Dragon 620 benchmarks higher then the 808 and the 810 in some cases.

http://m.pocketnow.com/2015/08/05/lg-huawei-nexus-specs

When it comes to the LG Nexus, we’re talking about a 5.2-inch 1080p P-OLED display powered by a new Snapdragon 620 processor, which is the successor to the Snapdragon 615, but with more powerful Cortex A72 cores. We also see 4GB of DDR3 RAM, options for up to 64GB of storage, USB Type-C with QuickCharge 2.0, wireless charging, NFC,Bluetooth 4.2 and a 3180 mAh battery. It’ll sport a Sony IMX278 camera sensor with f/1.8 aperture, a front-facing speaker, and even a fingerprint scanner in the rear power button. Targeted price tag seems to be around $300 as well.

And the camera has the potential to be very good, Android M I believe will come with a new API, the rumoured sensor is in the Huawei P8 and has good reviews and that's with a smaller aperture and no laser focusing.
So I think it will be a surprise and the camera will perform well. It even has a dual tone flash by the looks of it.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
When it comes to the LG Nexus, we’re talking about a 5.2-inch 1080p P-OLED display powered by a new Snapdragon 620 processor, which is the successor to the Snapdragon 615, but with more powerful Cortex A72 cores. We also see 4GB of DDR3 RAM, options for up to 64GB of storage, USB Type-C with QuickCharge 2.0, wireless charging, NFC,Bluetooth 4.2 and a 3180 mAh battery. It’ll sport a Sony IMX278 camera sensor with f/1.8 aperture, a front-facing speaker, and even a fingerprint scanner in the rear power button. Targeted price tag seems to be around $300 as well.

Judging by the back the power button on the back looks like its wrong and i wonder if the ring area is a fingerprint reader or just an aesthetic touch ?

There also appears to be laser focusing next to the flash.

So yeah - its still very much unknown because the back and the leaked specs don't exactly tally so far.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
All but certainly is my next phone. I hope it comes in black

That is right MRU the circular area looks like a scanner but not a power button, strange

Fingers crossed for it actually having the 620 and not a qhd screen. That coupled with rumored battery at 3100 (which doesn't sound like google :p )Has me quite excited!

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

That is one ugly looking phone!

Reactions: tbayrgs

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That is one ugly looking phone!

It certainly makes it look very 'mid range' to me - I don't find it desperately bad - but neither would I be showing it off to anyone with pride as in ('ooo look at my new handset') either. Google are going to have to get the price very competitive this year.

Have to make a compromise somewhere on all android devices ;)

Indeed but only as long as the compromise is reflected in the end price - if not - 'its not a worthwhile compromise'.

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the moto play which will also have the 620 cpu and will come in sub $300.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Indeed but only as long as the compromise is reflected in the end price - if not - 'its not a worthwhile compromise'.

It'll be interesting to see how it stacks up against the moto play which will also have the 620 cpu and will come in sub $300.

I thought the play had the 615? It will be interesting , but nexus updates take the nod for me and certainly adds value. I am imagining a rather aggressive price, but we shall see. I would wager significantly more than the play. So far this is looking like the highest end 5" phone in existence aside from the s6 spec wise.

If the specs here are true I think I'd be willing to bet the performance on the lg nexus 5 will be higher than huawei / moto x style at qhd on 808/810's.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Judging by the back the power button on the back looks like its wrong and i wonder if the ring area is a fingerprint reader or just an aesthetic touch ?

There also appears to be laser focusing next to the flash.

So yeah - its still very much unknown because the back and the leaked specs don't exactly tally so far.

The specs and the render and photo match exactly, no idea how you've come to the conclusion of it being otherwise??

Laser focusing, check.
Big aperture lens, looks like it could be.
Dual tone flash, check
USB C, check
Finter Printer scanner on the back, check, and Android M will natively support it.
32GB and 64GB options, makes sense.
Front facing stereo speakers, check.

Snap Dragon 620 makes perfect sense too. In fact the only spec that is not certain is the battery size.
It has already been benchmarked in geekbench on an unknown device:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/2826004

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The specs and the render and photo match exactly, no idea how you've come to the conclusion of it being otherwise??

I didn't see laser focusing in the spec list - maybe i missed it and the finger print / power button sounded in specs as they are all in one - whereas it doesn't appear to be a power button on the image ? They are the only two things I was saying don't sound 100% :)

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013

That is really ugly. And the protruding lens is hideous.

I've been with Android for a while now but I'm just beginning to get a little disillusioned. There's aspects of the software that are becoming increasingly annoying (like not recognising phone numbers in web pages/text messages etc) and the phones themselves seem to no longer be improving but just chasing specs. Who wants a fingerprint scanner on the back??

I've got the 2014 Moto X and it's disappointing to see the 2015 Moto X is just bigger. I don't want bigger.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've got the 2014 Moto X and it's disappointing to see the 2015 Moto X is just bigger. I don't want bigger.

I actually felt the same going from 2013 Moto X to the 2014, but I ended up getting used to it. I still think from a pinnacle of ergonomics though they 2013 moto X was wonderful to hold.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
I didn't see laser focusing in the spec list - maybe i missed it and the finger print / power button sounded in specs as they are all in one - whereas it doesn't appear to be a power button on the image ? They are the only two things I was saying don't sound 100% :)

I see, the power button is on the side judging by the renders, unless it's a camera button, wouldn't that be something?
I think it's clear that it's a fingerprint scanner on the back.
It's shaping up to be pretty good, especially if it uses that 620 as single core performance is better than almost any flagship out there? Multicore is not bad, about 700 geekbench points behind the flagships. And it will have the new Adreno GPU which hopefully will be better than the 808 GPU. Qualcomm said the 620 will appear in devices the second half of the year.

As I understand, even though it looks like the new LG Nexus will have a pretty decent camera, with a fancy Sony sensor, it is the algorithms that Google use that holds it back? But also as I understand Android M is supposed to come with some new camera features and a new API. So it will be interesting to see how it performs.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I see, the power button is on the side judging by the renders, unless it's a camera button, wouldn't that be something?
I think it's clear that it's a fingerprint scanner on the back.
It's shaping up to be pretty good, especially if it uses that 620 as single core performance is better than almost any flagship out there?

Indeed and the 620 does sound really promising, and I'm sure with Stock android and a 1080p screen performance wouldn't be an issue anyway :)

Bring the price in sub $300, give us a good choice of colour options and make it available from the Google Play Store globally at same time and it sounds very very promising indeed :)

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
As I understand, even though it looks like the new LG Nexus will have a pretty decent camera, with a fancy Sony sensor, it is the algorithms that Google use that holds it back? But also as I understand Android M is supposed to come with some new camera features and a new API. So it will be interesting to see how it performs.

From my understanding weaker camera support in nexus is partly due to google providing binaries (drivers) along with documentation. Companies don't want to give up their software special sauce through the open source requirements that come with nexus. In other words you can count on the camera not being as good as the lg G4 I would wager if the sensors are the same, you know I don't keep up with that :p. Whether this is due to the drivers themselves or the lack of lgs camera app is over my head.

The GPE program showed us that GPE devices had weaker cameras as well and that program did not require release of binaries like nexus. So it seems there is a stock android tax and a nexus tax :p

But.. I believe nexus 5 is the oldest phone with camera2 api, so you can count on future api support where other oems probably won't follow through.

Last edited:
Reactions: apolloa and MRU

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
All but certainly is my next phone. I hope it comes in black

That is right MRU the circular area looks like a scanner but not a power button, strange

Fingers crossed for it actually having the 620 and not a qhd screen. That coupled with rumored battery at 3100 (which doesn't sound like google :p )Has me quite excited!

You're falling into the annual Nexus trap gotluck. :eek:;) With a Nexus rumor, if it sounds too good to be true...it usually is.

That back panel is friggin' ugly as hell. And I'm over the raised camera bumps on ALL phones--looks like a nipple on this one.

I have very little knowledge on how the fingerprint scanners work---is it possible to have it work through plastic? Because that's what it appears this back panel is made out of, including the area inside the grey circle.

Reactions: gotluck and jamezr

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
You're falling into the annual Nexus trap gotluck. :eek:;) With a Nexus rumor, if it sounds too good to be true...it usually is.

That back panel is friggin' ugly as hell. And I'm over the raised camera bumps on ALL phones--looks like a nipple on this one.

I have very little knowledge on how the fingerprint scanners work---is it possible to have it work through plastic? Because that's what it appears this back panel is made out of, including the area inside the grey circle.

Haha I'm sure it will fall short somewhere, in the looks department so far :p

I don't think another better 5inchish android phone will come out until the next next nexus, or Sony which I am timid about.

I don't really want to go back to iPhone. I really enjoy android phone iOS tablet combo.

I'm hyped but I'm also coming from a gs4 GPE which is probably the oldest phone used on this board :p

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
From my understanding weaker camera support in nexus is partly due to google providing binaries (drivers) along with documentation. Companies don't want to give up their software special sauce through the open source requirements that come with nexus. In other words you can count on the camera not being as good as the lg G4 I would wager if the sensors are the same, you know I don't keep up with that :p. Whether this is due to the drivers themselves or the lack of lgs camera app is over my head.

The GPE program showed us that GPE devices had weaker cameras as well and that program did not require release of binaries like nexus. So it seems there is a stock android tax and a nexus tax :p

But.. I believe nexus 5 is the oldest phone with camera2 api, so you can count on future api support where other oems probably won't follow through.

I see, well we shall find out. Can you not just use a different camera app from the store, or if your experimental enough install the LG Camera APK for instance? If someone got it working that is.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I see, well we shall find out. Can you not just use a different camera app from the store, or if your experimental enough install the LG Camera APK for instance? If someone got it working that is.

Different play store apps yes, but no promises on actual better performance.

Maybe on lgs camera app, I have never owned an lg phone and not familiar with their oem frameworks.

The way samsung did it, no. Touchwiz frameworks were required for samsung camera app. No one was able to port it to the GPE either afaik and it was a common request.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.