Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I did not think something could look more silly than taking pictures with a tablet.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
That was on the payment processor's end, and has been caught & fixed. Chase explicitly said it wasn't anything on apple's end that caused the issue. I have been double charged before when using a regular magnetic card. It's a tiny bit of hassle, but usually easily rectified.

BOA has double charged many times before Apple Pay and many time after Apple Pay. I don't have Apple Pay but I've been double charged about 5 times with BOA since having their credit card.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
"It brings Apple Pay out from the big box store and into farmers' markets and boutiques."

Incredibly smart idea.....should be interesting to watch. Heck, those small farmers markets and boutiques that use iPads as their POS systems are more advanced than the big-box stores who's systems are still stuck in 1999.

You know that little gadget that plugs into an iDevice, allowing for a consume to easily swip their credit card? Bingo.

Patent a similar portable design like that allows the consumer to simply wave their iDevice in front of it for payment.

Somebody will make a lot of money here. (100% positive it's already in production.)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
You guys crack me up. "a few hiccups in an otherwise smooth release". You think people getting duplicate charges is a "hiccup"? Wonder how you'd feel if one of those hiccups was a $5000 item and the duplicate brought you over your credit limit and screwed your card.

Right...smooth with just "a few hiccups".

That was entirely Bank of America's doing.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
There wasn't any NFC antennas in the device from iFixit, but it's unusual to include a chip and not have plans for it. Perhaps it'll be an add on later?

They still use the CHIP to process online Apple Pay transactions.. The encryption and token making is in hardware for security. I would guess Apple could offer it as an online service over wifi or mobile... But both half a would just talk to Apple, not each other?

wakeupz

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
If true, I think this would help Apple pay adoption significantly for 500 dollars a business can accept NFC payments? Yes please.

You can already do that. Use your iPad with Square Register by downloading it for free.

I for one can't see how Apple can win this market. Sure Apply Pay would be great but running a business is so much more.

What about all Android users who can't pay? Will I lose them as a customer? What about credit cards who people still use for years to come and what about my backoffice? Is Apple going to integrate with QuickBooks for me?

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
You know that little gadget that plugs into an iDevice, allowing for a consume to easily swip their credit card? Bingo.

Patent a similar portable design like that allows the consumer to simply wave their iDevice in front of it for payment.

Somebody will make a lot of money here. (100% positive it's already in production.)

Yeah, that does make sense. Duplicate square + applePay, adding a reader and antenna to the purchase system. If it also supports online purchases, theyve got a homerun. Take over in person buying, in person selling and online buying. Add in person to person and they can replace PayPal too. Wow.

----------

What about all Android users who can't pay? Will I lose them as a customer? What about credit cards who people still use for years to come and what about my backoffice? Is Apple going to integrate with QuickBooks for me?

ApplePay is NFC so done correctly, it would support all NFC clients.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
With the move towards VoLTE, the distinction between voice and data has blurred to the point that now the networks have to do extra work to special-case the billing of voice calls.

My childrens' children will never be issued a phone number.

It is already happening. There is this sub-culture of iPod Touch users who migrate from WiFi hotspot to hotspot only using third party messaging services. They can even voice call via Skype and other services. Then there are the myriad of reasons why WiMAX never took off to consumer ranks.

Just a matter of time before we see the carriers selling "non-numbered" smartphones with UUIDs or some other scheme to ID users away from the NPA numbering scheme. To think the current phone number scheme is almost sevety years old now.

Sad thing is Palm tried this ten years ago with a data voice service. The carriers pushed back hard on saying it would tax their data services way too much. Technically after analog cell phones, it was all digital packets with different priorities and billing rates. Palm could never crack the nut moving the carriers away from their cash cow into a business model that is at least ten times larger than voice calls.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
This could also be used for accepting payments at your table in a restaurant.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
What about all Android users who can't pay? Will I lose them as a customer?
Assuming this were a design to take NFC payments, why wouldn't an NFC payment from an Android phone work?

What about credit cards who people still use for years to come and what about my backoffice? Is Apple going to integrate with QuickBooks for me?
It's an enhancement. Whole Foods didn't suddenly stop taking credit cards when they turned on Apple Pay. And the payments will still have to go through a payment processor to your bank, same as before.

l00pback

macrumors regular
May 28, 2010
It's been said already, but I wanted to throw in my two cents.

I think this is meant to enable - not compete with - services like Square, allowing them to accept :apple: Pay. Just as their service currently comes with a mag-strip card reader, in the future it'll come with an NFC reader instead - or maybe additionally. Providing the NFC hardware on the iPad reduces the development cost of what would essentially be just an antenna module that would attach via the Lightening port (presumably with a pass-through for power). All the encryption and other security features would be handled by iOS on the iPad, and the actual Tx/Rx would be handled by the add-on module.

rigormortis

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
What's Apple take on each transaction, 30%?

apple charges the bank 0.15 % , or maybe less. i am not sure. I'm pretty sure its 15 cents for every $100 and apple agrees to be the liable party on chargebacks. apple does not charge the merchant.

emv is shifting liability. in 2 years , if a merchant takes a swipe, and the transaction is charged back to the merchant, the merchant will have to pay for the transaction. the bank will pay for the transaction and be liable if the purchase was made with emv or rfid. apple pay is unique, because its apple that is paying for the chargebacks and neither the bank or the merchant.

my 2 year figure might be 1 year for point of sale and 2 years for gasoline

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
That's to protect people from themselves. From looking like an idiot making phone calls with a 10" tablet :)

But yes, it would have been nice if it did support voice calls through Bluetooth though :)

This is obviously funny, but if you have an iPad with you while your phone battery is empty, given the choice between looking stupid and not making an important phone call, most people would appreciate the choice and look stupid.

ptb42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
You guys crack me up. "a few hiccups in an otherwise smooth release". You think people getting duplicate charges is a "hiccup"? Wonder how you'd feel if one of those hiccups was a $5000 item and the duplicate brought you over your credit limit and screwed your card.

I don't suppose you know that Bank of America admitted it was their problem?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
What's Apple take on each transaction, 30%?

High fees would not work there. Credit card companies charge roughly 2-3%, and Apple would have to come in well below that, as their role is more limited. I get that the comment has some sarcasm, but I wanted to add approximate numbers.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
apple charges the bank 0.15 % , or maybe less. i am not sure. I'm pretty sure its 15 cents for every $100 and apple agrees to be the liable party on chargebacks. apple does not charge the merchant.

emv is shifting liability. in 2 years , if a merchant takes a swipe, and the transaction is charged back to the merchant, the merchant will have to pay for the transaction. the bank will pay for the transaction and be liable if the purchase was made with emv or rfid. apple pay is unique, because its apple that is paying for the chargebacks and neither the bank or the merchant.

my 2 year figure might be 1 year for point of sale and 2 years for gasoline
1year. Oct 2015.
If a Merchant takes a swipe, from a card that supports EMV, but takes the swipe anyway.

If the consumers card doesn't have EMV yet... Not the merchants problem.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
It's been said already, but I wanted to throw in my two cents.

I think this is meant to enable - not compete with - services like Square, allowing them to accept :apple: Pay. Just as their service currently comes with a mag-strip card reader, in the future it'll come with an NFC reader instead - or maybe additionally. Providing the NFC hardware on the iPad reduces the development cost of what would essentially be just an antenna module that would attach via the Lightening port (presumably with a pass-through for power). All the encryption and other security features would be handled by iOS on the iPad, and the actual Tx/Rx would be handled by the add-on module.

Generally I'd agree. The only reason I think they may go further is their penchant for controlling the experience (and in this case, the money) from end-to-end.

It may be a stepped approach:
  • 2014: Launch Apple Pay
  • 2015: NFC-equipped iPads to enable thirty party payment system support (Square)
  • 2016: Apple Pay expands to include a wallet (a.k.a. Apple Bank) and direct device-to-device payments

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
I think that they included this chip not because of the NFC functionality but for the included Secure Element which safely stores the payment keys. This supports Apple's story that you can still use Apple Pay for online transactions, just not in person ones. Thus NFC is not needed but the secure element is.

It's much harder for a malicious app or hacker with hands-on access to the device to pry the keys from the secure element than it is from the normal flash memory, as it's tamper resistant. It's basically a smart card (similar to the "Chip&Pin" EMV chip in a normal payment card), it's also a bit like a TPM module in Windows laptops/tablets.

Also notice that while the iPad includes the NXP65V10 it does not include the iPhone 6's AS3923 NFC booster chip which Apple uses to interface with the antenna. Without this its strength will be too weak to actually use NFC unless there was a fairly large antenna somewhere (and there is no space for that on the casing as it would have to be behind a plastic cover).

So I don't agree with the conclusion in the Gigaom article. While I would have loved to see NFC in the Air 2, I don't think it has the actual NFC functionality and in my opinion that's not why the chip is there.

They could have gone for a Secure Element chip without NFC but it would probably have required making new drivers, which probably wasn't worth the hassle as these chips won't be very expensive to begin with.
http://rapidnfc.com/blog/118/apple_iphone_6_and_case_of_missing_nfc_antenna
it could jut be hidden?

sziehr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
why do i feel this new iPad is what the next iPhone will look exactly like on the inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.