Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Anyway since Leveno is the other manufacturer that's getting these chips first have they put out any Merom based offering as of yet?

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Manic Mouse said:
Don't you just love the way some Apple fanboys are simply happy with whatever Apple deems to give them? They could slap an apple logo on a dog turd, charge $3000 for it and they'd still shout "but Apple can do what they want, they don't make PEECEEs" or "But does your PEECEE have nuts in it like my iTurd?

Macadamians bro, macadamians. And that turd has a FW800 Port. Well worth 3k. IMHO

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
vv-tim said:
If they want to keep those customers, they have to continue to perform top of the line or drop to lower pricepoints.

But that doesn't mean that everytime something new comes out, Apple has to update their entire line the next day. **** people!?! Maybe there's a wee bit of engineering and testing that has to go into a new memron-based MBP/MB?? Maybe they want to work out some heat issues? Some whine issues? Some moo issues?

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
OK here is my train of thought Dell who sells the Most Laptops sells mainly to computer illiterate people who do not know a processor from Ram, so in term the people that apple could gain in market share wouldnt really care whether or not their laptop had a 3.0Ghz processor or a 1.2 Ghz processor either way its still a "new" computer to them and they think it is the best.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
The only companies that seem to be offering the merom's is highend laptop companies , and even they are saying coming soon Core 2, maybe intel isnt ready with the chips yet...

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
bbrosemer said:
The only companies that seem to be offering the merom's is highend laptop companies , and even they are saying coming soon Core 2, maybe intel isnt ready with the chips yet...

Well that makes me feel a little bit better, knowning as of right now Apple isn't offering not because they just don't feel like it, but most likely because resources aren't ready yet.

I doubt we'll see a new enclosure like so many keep mentioning. I bet that'll be a Santa Rosa thing if even that soon.

I'd like a Gun Metal/Charcoal colored MBP that'd be pretty sweet.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
generik said:
Anyway since Leveno is the other manufacturer that's getting these chips first have they put out any Merom based offering as of yet?
No. Look through their lineup--no Merom based laptops yet. Just like everybody else.

For that matter, I can't find a T7400 in stock and ready to buy ANYWHERE. Newegg currently lists zero products with a Merom in them, and aren't selling the chips, either. The handfull of retailers listing the Merom for sale in a retail box don't have them in stock, either--they're just placeholders on their site.

For that matter:
generik said:
Newsflash: I can buy an Asus Core 2 Duo machine today.
Where? I'm not saying you can't, I'd just like to know where?

I see their announcement that says "ASUS ... today announced that the company’s complete notebook line is Intel Core 2 Duo ready." But I don't see any of their products actually listing that as a feature, and I can't find an Asus notebook (or any other manufacturers' for that matter) with one actually in it for sale at any of the major online reatailers I'd usually look at, or a few smaller ones I tried, and Froogle shows absolutely zip in a search for the T7400.

These guys don't seem to think that Asus will have them on sale for a few weeks at least.

Basically, Intel is not shipping the Merom in enough quantity for anybody reliable to be offering models with them for regular sale quite yet, and Apple's in the same boat as everybody else. Apple could have announced a refresh to the MBP line with the Merom "Shipping later this month" or whatever, but why? As far as I can tell the current models are selling quite well as it is.

Apple should certainly try to stay at the front of the curve, but let's not all get unrealistic expectations here, and there's such a thing as trying to stay so far ahead of the game that you fall off the leading edge by announcing stuff too early. Apple's fallen into that trap for years, I think we should be thankful if they're being a tad more conservative now.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
who cares, we all know that eventually they will get updated. Stevie baby even said that theres more announcments next week.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Zwhaler said:
who cares, we all know that eventually they will get updated. Stevie baby even said that theres more announcments next week.
That wasn't based at product announcements I thought I read somewhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.