Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stefmesman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Netherlands
for those that say a new apple tv is not needed:

Wifi AC: faster transfers

HEVC/h265: makes current qualty apple tv rentals half bandwidth or doubles quality at the same current size.

DTS HD/DolbyHD/apples own HD audio format: the only thing holding me back from buying the really good movies on Apple TV (normally buy bluray for audio quality) 7.1 audio also included.

HDMI 2.0 support for 3D 1080p streaming. (and 3D downloads in the store)

these 3 things would make appleTV instantly better.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Can't we already do this?
If you have what you want to stream on your device already. Otherwise you would need to download it to your device and then stream it. While that might work fine, it is transferring to video streams over WiFi (Apple server to device + device to Apple TV) which might saturate the connection.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Thats an odd comment to make, why would I be friends with someone I didn't trust.

Yes, you are correct. Why would you be friends with someone you didn't trust. My question was poorly worded. I should have asked something like: "How many times have we heard about people getting stabbed in the back by their best friend, the one they trusted completely"? Does that make you feel better? ;)

Max_Walker

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
Which would be completely useless outside the UK.

There are so many different transmission systems in use that there’s no way to build a universal box.

....and ?

If Apple plan a TV they will need to deliver regional content - and its not an impossible task if they expect to deliver volume numbers in each market. The PS4 is planning to deliver some region specific features - so why not Apple

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
....and ?

If Apple plan a TV they will need to deliver regional content - and its not an impossible task if they expect to deliver volume numbers in each market. The PS4 is planning to deliver some region specific features - so why not Apple

That is why I believe if Apple ever are going to make a proper television, it might be USA only for quite some time. Too many different systems (terrestrial, satellite, cable, IPTV...), too many different content providers.
Every country has different laws and regulations. The whole TV market is very old and developed quite differently in different countries. It is the dinosaur amongst the entertainment industry, and it is in many countries very slow moving. Just look how much the iTunes content differs between countries ( when we had films and tv programmes in the UK, in Germany there were only some things from Pixar on offer, and the German store is still not that great)

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
....and ?

TVs sold in North America only have tuners for over-the-air transmission built into them, although some are cable-card compatible (usable in the US, but not Canada). They require external boxes for cable and satellite. There are many different types and there is no chance of Apple building them all into one TV.

And even less chance of them building them into a $99 Apple TV, which is what we were talking about.

SonomaFlyer

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2010
Apple will never support folks streaming "ripped" DVDs through their devices. They are the kings of trying to keep the flood gates closed. You need to rent from them or you need to buy from them as far as movies are concerned. Streaming your own content eliminates their cut.

Do we see a Vudu app on ATV? Nope.

Apple needs to update for the new WiFi standards and the other bump ups which aren't that major but would really improve things.

It won't happen because they are holding that stuff back for their 55" $2,000 iHDTV.

Last edited:

kingledley

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
Some additional services in the UK like BBC iPlayer, 4oD, ITV Player etc would be great. Seems really odd that they're not included, considering they're on most other services.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Apple will never support folks streaming "ripped" DVDs through their devices. They are the kings of trying to keep the flood gates closed. You need to rent from them or you need to buy from them as far as movies are concerned. Streaming your own content eliminates their cut.

Apple needs to update for the new WiFi standards and the other bump ups which aren't that major but would really improve things.

It won't happen because they are holding that stuff back for their 55" $2,000 iHDTV.

you can stream your own ripped content

Max_Walker

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
TVs sold in North America only have tuners for over-the-air transmission built into them, although some are cable-card compatible (usable in the US, but not Canada). They require external boxes for cable and satellite. There are many different types and there is no chance of Apple building them all into one TV.

And even less chance of them building them into a $99 Apple TV, which is what we were talking about.

Just in from Eye TV - EyeTV Mobile works in Australia, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Austria, Poland, Spain, Switzerland as well as any country that broadcasts standard definition MPEG-2 or MPEG-4/H.264 video. High definition channels, encrypted programs and/or DVB-T2 broadcasts are not supported.

Another company that brings TV to Apple devices. If you have seen the size of this, you will see that a 'Euro Module' or "US Module" could easily be plugged into the rear of a Apple TV panel for each marketing area. If Apple produce a TV that doesn't include receivers for Std & HD terrestrial TV it will never sell in volume - who wants a ultra sleek design with a number of set tp boxes and wires hanging from the back. Nope - unless Apple plan to redefine TV as an item without a broadcast TV it will need to work this through.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013

This is my biggest issue. I have an ATV and a Roku, and use the Roku 90% of the time. I don't see this changing unless the ATV gets an app store AND they allow other media services in there like Amazon and Vudu. It's much easier to find good "brain candy" in TED talks or PBS apps. Or one of the tech shows I follow in tailor-made apps for TWiT, Revision 3, CNET, etc. With ATV, you have to deal with Youtube or podcast subscriptions.

I bought the ATV mainly for Airplay (which I don't use that much now that the novelty wore off). I'm really hoping Apple opens it up considerably moving forward.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

I've streamed my own ripped content for the past 3 years on out-of-the-box non-jailbroken equipment. It's nothing Apple prevents at all. It's one of the features that sold me buying my Apple TV 3 years ago, and something that the Apple employees said is completely okay. (Of course, 'ripped' from your own DVD purchases at Target/Walmart/Amazon/etc. is assumed)

I love how people's bias against Apple gets them to believe anything.

DrOct

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Not a single thing on your list would affect ATV performance whatsoever.

• A6/A7 would allow you to...move your selector faster?
  • gigabit ethernet / 802.11ac would improve...nothing. Your broadband internet is the bottle neck (at roughly 5-50 Mbps)
  • more flash storage would...let you buffer more video in case your internet suddenly dies?
  • usb 3.0 would let you...do nothing that AirPlay can't already do.

I see this sort of thing all the time, and I don't understand why faster wi-fi (or Ethernet) mystifies people so much. The faster wifi is for two purposes: 1)For streaming local media. Many of us don't only use our ATV's for streaming stuff from the internet. Many of us have a lot of ripped movies on our computers that we stream to our ATV's. 2) Futureproofing. Sure today its rare (though not unheard of) to find an internet connection that might saturate 802.11n connections (especially real world ones, rather than the theoretical max speed), but that's going to become more and more common.

As for the rest (except for the USB3 part, I don't really know what use that'd be), I presume one would want those to make the box more capable with an app store that I really really really hope Apple opens at some point.

DrOct

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
My ATV software update wish list:

1. Remove "Computers" for downloaded/owned content and needing to access the store for purchased (but not downloaded) content. Just have one of the top buttons say "My media" which contains "My movies", "My TV shows", "My photos", and "My music" - whether you have it stored locally or in the cloud doesn't matter to me when it comes time to watch - I just want to see all my stuff in a single place.

2. For TV series, stop listing each season on a separate line - why can't we have "Monk" like in iTunes which states which season(s) you have - click on that and then the subfolder contains each season individually.

3. For movies that have a series in them, have a single icon for the movie, and then a sub-folder for each movie in the series.

I know I'm being terribly naive, but it just doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do...and far more "elegant" and Steve-like.

My $0.02

Yeah, I just got an AppleTV and I like it pretty well, but I was disappointed to see that I have to go to "Computers" to watch my local content, rather than just going to the big buttons that say "Movies" and "TV Shows." My wife was also briefly confused by that. (only briefly, but still it's a little annoying). Very un-Apple. I really hope they give us a more unified interface for that sort of thing.

netdoc66

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
New Jersey
I would love to see Apple announce more live content partners. I would love a basic tiered content plan (basic cable) basically for like 9 bux a month. I would be all over that.

darkazcura

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
I think you missed the point. The ATV will almost certainly come with a remote. What I'm talking about is a game controller. The WiiU comes with a game controller that costs ~$150 used on eBay. Now imagine that, instead of a low-res screen with a mediocre touchscreen, you have your iPhone 5S, situated between dual analog sticks, buttons, trigger buttons, a real D-pad, etc. - and working as a personal screen a la WiiU. Your iPhone has WiFi and Bluetooth already; so does the ATV. If you are concerned about incoming texts, you could always buy a dedicated iPod touch to snap into the controller.

An ATV with full App Store, A7X chip, and excellent controllers (that either use a device you already have or motivate you to buy another iOS device) would be amazing. No reason Apple couldn't do it for $199 + $49 (or less) per controller case. This would crush the WiiU and likely make a big dent in future Xbone/PS4 sales.

I know you posted this before it was announced, but it looks like Sony is rolling with this idea. The VitaTV is looking nice at a really competitive price point. Streaming PS4 games to any TV in the home if you have a PS4 sounds really good too. Sony wont be able to compete currently with the streaming options Apple has going on, but we will see. Sony did strike a deal with Viacom recently so if the VitaTV can make use of that all, Apple may have some work cut out for them.

BTW, lol at mediocre touchscreen. Resistive touch screens are much better for gaming. Far more accurate. I'll take the 3DS screens and the WiiU gamepad screens for general gaming any day of the week. Having no multitouch kind of sucks, but it makes up for that with accuracy.

Last edited:

brockb

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
This is my biggest issue. I have an ATV and a Roku, and use the Roku 90% of the time. I don't see this changing unless the ATV gets an app store AND they allow other media services in there like Amazon and Vudu. It's much easier to find good "brain candy" in TED talks or PBS apps. Or one of the tech shows I follow in tailor-made apps for TWiT, Revision 3, CNET, etc. With ATV, you have to deal with Youtube or podcast subscriptions.

I bought the ATV mainly for Airplay (which I don't use that much now that the novelty wore off). I'm really hoping Apple opens it up considerably moving forward.

I've been fairly happy with my Roku. I've wanted to get an Apple TV... but the Airplay isn't really enough to make me change from Roku to ATV. My reason for holding out is actually App Store integration. Once they create an ATV with flash storage, iOS and app-store integration... count me in. That's what I've been longing for. Until then, the Roku is just fine.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
I see this sort of thing all the time, and I don't understand why faster wi-fi (or Ethernet) mystifies people so much. The faster wifi is for two purposes: 1)For streaming local media. Many of us don't only use our ATV's for streaming stuff from the internet. Many of us have a lot of ripped movies on our computers that we stream to our ATV's. 2) Futureproofing. Sure today its rare (though not unheard of) to find an internet connection that might saturate 802.11n connections (especially real world ones, rather than the theoretical max speed), but that's going to become more and more common.

So do you currently have problems streaming local content over 802.11n? I don't see how 802.11ac would improve anything...it might fill up your 8 GB buffer faster, but that doesn't really help anything.

The exception is for AirPlay; 802.11ac may reduce latency during mirroring.

ethanlee

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
California
Amazon Instant Video, please. Apologies if this was said before in this thread, but should indicate that we want this badly.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Apple TV software update coming with iOS 7! :cool:

Attachments

• AppleTViOS7.png
    AppleTViOS7.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 62,352
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.