Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Oh Please Nokia! What a piece of junk app! Take your junk and run it on your windows phones.

-Mike

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Yes, Apple and Nokia are very alike so this comparison makes total sense. Great job! :rolleyes:

Never said the companies were alike? Just saying they exhibit one particular characteristic. Not saying anything good about Nokia, don't worry....

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Well let's see, since this is Mac Rumors, and by the title it would appear to be a site about MACS/APPLE, one would assume that the people who visit the site would defend the product they support. Right?

Wrong. There's no need to turn off your brain just because you use Apple products. I use them extensively but I certainly don't like all of them equally, that'd be absurd.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Go to any thread on here that isn't about Apple and you'll get crowds of people spewing massive hate. I don't know if you knew this, but this site has a massive amount of fanboys.

I highly doubt that! Well, at least the number of trolls here totally outweigh the number of fanboys me thinks.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Maybe you've identified why Nokia had to drop iOS support... all of their development investment is being put into the platforms (with an "s", aka Android) with greater market share, rather than the platform that is used the most by its user base.

Typical spec-thinking board of directors... biggest numbers, flashiest lights. Sad.

Sad thing is like you say and it's been reported lots of times, people just arent using android devices the same way.

----------

Less than 1% of people with an iPhone 4 at the time took advantage of the free bumper offer. That simply indicates that the 'antenna-gate' "issue" was being seriously overblown. (And still is by some people, for unknown reasons.)

A 'problem' which nets people free stuff, where they don't even have to demonstrate that they're actually affected by said 'problem', and where less than 1% of them take advantage of the offer for free stuff doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

It was a joke, have held my 2 iPhone 4's every way and used about every type of case and never had an issue with signal.

The toughened glass on the other hand was a bit of a joke lol.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
How about "You're holding it wrong." While not vague spin, did you find that disingenuous as well?

"You're holding it wrong" was Steve Jobs' reply to an email sent to him. Never an official Apple statement, no matter how hard people try to claim it. And it hit the point: The iPhone 4 had problems when you held it in a certain way, the problem went away if you held it in a different way, and at least according to their user manuals, many other phones had exactly the same problem. Yes, people wanting to demonstrate signal loss had no problems demonstrating signal loss, but people wanting to make phone calls had no problems making phone calls.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
I just wish Apple would get rid of the terrible apps that haven't been updated for years/don't work....
EG just automatically get rid of apps that haven't been updated for 2 years or longer etc.

It helps with numbers to keep them all around.

in 2100... "we are proud to announce our 100 billionth app"

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
HERE is good and superb...but only on WP8 (I have a Lumia 1020 as my secondary phone to complement my iPhone 5S).

I bought the Lumia just for the camera and the superb navigation capabilities (found in all Lumias). Oh, and also for SharePoint and Office 365, plus all sorts of corporate Microsoft services my college uses.

But I still love my 5S more, although WP8 is catching up soon. At least it's way better than Android.

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
How exactly are you forced to use it?

Is... is this post serious? Maybe you're new to this site. Your avatar would appear to suggest otherwise, but allow me to explain it as if you were.

iOS 7 is pre-installed on all new iDevices, and cannot be replaced with any other OS. Installing it on an existing device is easy to do, and impossible to undo. Anyone who stays with iOS 6 will have to tolerate push notifications for point updates, and badge notifications on the Settings app, which cannot be turned off. The update is downloaded automatically, and takes up space on the device until the user presses the big white 'Install Now' button.

What most of them (yourself included) don't seem to realise is that the upgrade is irreversible. Installing iOS requires a cryptographic signature from Apple, and Apple only signs the current release, usually pulling the plug on older versions within days of them being superceded. There is no way to hack or otherwise bypass the code signing. Even SHSH blobs don't work anymore.

Some people will not read the release notes, and install iOS 7 without knowing how it will affect their devices. Some people might want to try it out for a few days before making up their mind, only to find out that Apple has made up their mind for them. Avoiding the upgrade requires a conscious effort. And even if you do, half the App Store will eventually be incompatible with your iOS, because Apple encourages developers to neglect legacy compatibility.

And DO NOT even suggest that 'If you don't like it, don't buy Apple.'

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
HERE still works if you already downloaded it. In some ways it is better than Apple's Maps (which is a POS in my opinion) and it is an alternative to allowing Big Bro ... erm ... Google ... follow one's every move.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
I wonder if this has anything to do with the acquisition by Microsoft. It could be that Microsoft will develop their own navigation app based on Nokias technologies, or they are simply not interested hence it was not worth investing more money.

Microsoft did not acquire the Maps portion of Nokia. It is retained by Nokia not Microsoft.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Thats 1 mistake out of how many total requests? There will always be mistakes - I'm pretty sure Google Maps still doesn't know about the street I live on even though it's been an official road in my town for the past few years... Apple Maps, on the other hand, knows about it. Out of the dozens of times I've used Apple Maps for directions, it's only been wrong a single time (it had a store as being about a mile further down the road than it actually was... I submitted a correction to Apple - haven't checked to see if they fixed it yet...)

Or how about when Apple Maps told me I could drive to Australia from Indiana?

This type of comment doesn't help either in keeping things civil on this forum. It's basically flame bait.

Honesty sometimes sucks.

I highly doubt that! Well, at least the number of trolls here totally outweigh the number of fanboys me thinks.

BWAHAHAHAHA

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Harm the experience ?? Say that again with a serious look.

People will do anything and make up excuses....

This has got to be a winner for the reason of removing an app from the App Store.

If the App is good, people will use it .... Period...

What more is there to say.... I couldn't really care what an app looks like just as long its functional and does what i need it to do.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Or how about when Apple Maps told me I could drive to Australia from Indiana?

Did you try following the directions? Maybe it knows about a secret tunnel you don't. (In all honesty, I'd be interested: what was the mistake? Is it just confused about where you or Australia is, or does it think a road exists that doesn't?)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Did you try following the directions? Maybe it knows about a secret tunnel you don't. (In all honesty, I'd be interested: what was the mistake? Is it just confused about where you or Australia is, or does it think a road exists that doesn't?)

I was supposed to drive down to South America, down to the tip, and then I was supposed to drive from there to Australia. Not get on a plane... I was supposed to drive. Maybe there is a secret tunnel that I don't know about.

Renzatic

Suspended
I was supposed to drive down to South America, down to the tip, and then I was supposed to drive from there to Australia. Not get on a plane... I was supposed to drive. Maybe there is a secret tunnel that I don't know about.

There is, and you're not supposed to know about it. But hell, the cat's out of the bag now. Might as well tell everyone about The Freemason Expressway. :mad:

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I tried this app when it was first released but got rid of it soon after that. It felt like someone had built an awful, non-retina optimised generic web app, crammed it inside a native application and called it a day.

Being Finnish, I very much would like Nokia (or what's left of them) to be succesful in their endeavours, but their performance with HERE on iOS was just pitiful, to put it simply.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I've always been a huge supporter if Apple and even Apple maps as I found the interface the best out of all the map options and the data worked well enough for me in the US...but, something came over me a couple if days ago and I decided to give my wife my iPhone 5 and bought a Nokia Lumia 1520 with Windows 8.

The maps programs on the Windows phone are awesome. All the features of a full blown GPS, I utilize their "commute" tile so I can always see what the live time is to get to work or home. Traffic is awesome, it even has weather info on the map. Speed limit info and warnings.

Who cares if it isn't on ios? Like most, I didn't even know it was an option until I read this post and I'm a map freak.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.