Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

larrybeo

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
Patent Protection

Nokia is being smart with this move. Keeping superior software proprietary and off of inferior devices will ensure the continued growth and development of their Here Software Suite. As someone who used an iPhone for six years, trust me when I say if you haven't used Nokia mobile software you really don't know what you are missing out on.

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
Nokia is being smart with this move. Keeping superior software proprietary and off of inferior devices will ensure the continued growth and development of their Here Software Suite. As someone who used an iPhone for six years, trust me when I say if you haven't used Nokia mobile software you really don't know what you are missing out on.

Being a old Nokia guy (E71.... my god... perfection at the time) I eagerly downloaded the HERE maps app, and it was terrible. Nokia has sold its soul, there is nothing left. Nokia defectors at Jolla might bring back some of the old glory.

But as things are now, must disagree with your statment to the fullest degree. No one is missing out on anything Nokia pumps out.

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
Apple didn't remove Google maps. Apple just didn't renew their agreement to use Google Maps as the default app for iOS, and Google in turn released it as a 3rd party app.

Same with Youtube.

What kind of ridiculous distinction is that? They didn't renew the agreement because they were planning on removing Google maps. Some people... :p

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh I do love the complete creativity of the Mac Rumors writers, for only they could state:

"We have made the decision to remove our HERE Maps app from the Apple App Store because recent changes to iOS 7 harm the user experience."

Actually apparently reads as:

As the report notes, the HERE iOS app was not particularly well received by users, having suffered from a number of bugs and received no updates during its year on the App Store. Consequently, it seems likely that poor adoption and an unwillingness by Nokia to invest significant effort in fixing the app's issues played significant roles in HERE's demise on iOS as well.

Nice attempt to slander the competition there Mac Rumors with no shred of proof, I particularly like the BS accusation that Nokia refused to pump money and resources into the HERE iOS version. But you can never ever hide the disaster that Apple made with it's map app no matter how 'creative' your BS is.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
"You're holding it wrong" was Steve Jobs' reply to an email sent to him. Never an official Apple statement, no matter how hard people try to claim it. And it hit the point: The iPhone 4 had problems when you held it in a certain way, the problem went away if you held it in a different way, and at least according to their user manuals, many other phones had exactly the same problem. Yes, people wanting to demonstrate signal loss had no problems demonstrating signal loss, but people wanting to make phone calls had no problems making phone calls.

Well, Steve Jobs himself stated they knew if you 'gripped' the iPhone in a certain way you would loose signal, sounds like holding it wrong to me.

http://youtu.be/i8tXyfjfnB0?t=13m10s

But nice try Gnasher at twisting the facts there, and no, many other phones did not have the same problem because I had never had them with any other phone, and no one else at the time place their antenna around the outside of the phone.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
It's unfortunate that that app was pulled; choice and competition always works out better for the consumer. Hopefully Nokia will try another attempt at an app soon.

The mobile version of HERE is still very capable. I like how it provides live audio directions through the browser.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Since you brought it up, as a matter of fact, no, not all companies blame others for their errors.

One example relevant to this thread: when Apple released its buggy Maps app and service, the public criticism was justifiably harsh. Eventually Tim Cook himself issued an apology. No finger pointing, buck passing, responsibility shirking, ownership denial. Heck, for a while, the App Store had a special section focused on alternatives to the native Apple Maps.

Who on earth could they POSSIBLY have pointed the finger at in that case? Clearly my point was, when you CAN blame someone else, you DO.

Obviously when I say "all" I don't mean "ALL". Dealing in absolutes is silly. I've just stopped "covering my ass" with everything I say in online forums but some smartass always wants to point out how "all" is never "all". Good on you then sir. But I am pretty sure you knew what I meant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.