Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If the build quality of the 800 is like the build quality of the N8 then its very robust ( and survives falls ) - nothing plasticy about that. The curved glass of the 800 ( and N9 ) looks great.

The Windows phone UI looks interesting and very innovative. Hopefully in iOS6 Apple can revamp the iPhone UI - it looks plain, boring and old, IMO - still functional though.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
The lumia Looks like an old nano, the first generation.
How is it Sony and Nokia and Samsung etc always have crappy names for their products like numbers etc or words that we don't understand, thats why they fail and the fact that there is not an abundance of third party accessories available means these companies will never compete with Apple, why not subsidize companies to make accessories generate some buzz, no one making accessories means no one cares, Apple deserves to be where they are.
Lumia looks okay the name sucks but I guess if Sony made it they would call it something like the mpd dsc2345eu so Lumia as pathetic as it is may sell if its cheap enough in bargain bins. How about next time calling it the Nokia Blue.

jer9542

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Guys......am I the only one who realizes that "Lumia" translates to "prostitute" in Spanish......fail.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Nokia has been successfully operating on the business model that cheap plastic sells to the masses. I used Nokia phones for years, because they are cheap and if I break it, I can buy another cheap phone. We will see if the same holds true with their attempt to penetrate the smartphone market. Personally, I think they would have been better off with Android. But only marginally.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Looks like an impressive phone from nokia; though one thing i don't understand is their choice of colour (turquoise ==)

SVegard

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
I like the 800 well enough. I hope they sell tons. Diversity is good.

Agree...besides I'm a bit tired of IOS, want to try something else.

Just wondering. I know this is not the best place to ask and all that.

But...soundquality is important to me. And most people give F about that now days. Anyone know of phones/portable players with better dac than the iPod/phone?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
microsoft ... yawn

Microsoft has the most novel and different mobile OS out there right now. Their UI has a lot of intelligent features. They are just saddled with boring hardware and previous generation SoCs. Nokia is trying to fix the first one. There's nothing yawn-worthy about it.

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
I like the look of the Nokia Lumia 710 better than the 800. I have to say this is the first phone and OS that looks decent since the iPhone and the price of 270€ is ok.

Nokia_Lumia_710_3_screen.png

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
- only 16GB storage
- no front facing camera
- only 720p video

If this comes to the US in 2012 with these specs, it will fail big time.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
With a Samsung Galaxy S II being so much slower than an iPhone 4S, I bet this will also be slower compared to a 4S. I would love to see some benchmarks though.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Guys......am I the only one who realizes that "Lumia" translates to "prostitute" in Spanish......fail.
I believe they are using the name in reference to a Lumia box, not a prostitute.

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Lumia" historically are kinetic-art sculptures that create patterns of moving, vibrant color. [/FONT]

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Really? Because I can't find one reference that says that.

I do find references to art created from light.

Seems as you had a post fail.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
These look like nice phones, and at least WP7.5 isn't a copy of iOS or Android. Plus Nokia has free turn by turn navigation (at least as good as Google's from my past experience, plus with the ability to work offline), and some Nokia-specific applications like an ESPN sports portal and a location-based music streaming service. It looks like WP7.5 was a good choice for Nokia rather than Symbian. Unfortunately, they aren't going to get any phones to the US before 2012, so they are missing out on holiday sales (which are likely gone for 2 years in the US market).

They are also pretty aggressively priced, with the Lumia 800 selling for $575 compared with $650 for the iPhone 4S. Likely it will sell for less once it does hit our shores since there is no VAT here.

Give Nokia credit. The hardware looks nice, and at least they are doing something different going with WP7.5 rather than trying to imitate iOS.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I can tell you exactly what this is. Page clicks. Apple news is kind of slow right now, so they put in these (mostly) off-topic stories to get some clicks. It is the same reason we keep getting new "Tidbits from the Steve Jobs book"... slow news... but MacRumors needs to post new stories to keep the clicks coming on the site. Remember. First and foremost, this website is a business... which is probably shoving advertising down most of it's readership's throats. (I wouldn't know... I have Adblock with a really good filter set.)

Anyway... if you visit TUAW, there isn't any stories about Nokia or Windows phones.

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
When Dell comes out with a new crappy laptop, does that make news on this site?

I was about to post the *exact* same thing!

I simply don't get it.

I generally have no complaints with macrumors (except maybe, please stop spoiling the Jobs bio for me!), so don't anyone say "well, don't come here!!!" But really, what does this have to do with anything.....? Genuinely puzzled. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.