Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
Nokia?

Please remove this whole story - THIS IS MAC/iOS RUMOURS - what a disgrace. If I want this news I can go to engadget/TIMN

This has NOTHING to do with the iPhone.

P.S. Nokia Fail

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
The 800 look great.

However, they really won't never learn from Apple. I mean, a product name should indicate something to the consumer, make sense for him. "Lumia 800" or "Lumia 710", are such bad names! Numbers that mean nothing are not a good way to inform the consumer about which product do what.

Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't there a number in "iPhone 4"? What does that 4 tell you about what the product does?

mklaman

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2006
wow, so that's what apple did w/ the old colored nano's?!?!

sorry if it's already beeb mentioned, too lazy to read the comments.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I like the look of the Nokia Lumia 710 better than the 800. I have to say this is the first phone and OS that looks decent since the iPhone and the price of 270€ is ok.

I like it. I like for my little brother. The only problem is the plastic. I haven't played with it obviously but nokia has a very reputation of making bad plastic products. I myself have dealt with phones like N72 and others which are not very elegant to use and don't have good or decent aesthetics. The build quality is a big dent on the user experience.

Lets see. :)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The editors here can post whatever news stories they want.

Ultimately though - stories about the competition (to most people here) is just flame bait.

It gives the Apple devotees a chance (yet again) to unnecessarily slam the "competition" and start the same rehashed arguments about OS, Google, Android, Flash, RIM, etc...

One Infinite Loop doesn't just apply to Apple's address. It often describes Apple's consumers :)

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
So, let me get this straight: Nokia released a phone that looks like a mega Nano and a bunch of other products that appear to be targeted at 13 year old girls? And that's supposed to be a winning strategy??

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I think the launch of a major competitor's new phone is relevant to the interests of a lot of people who come here.

All desktops and laptops released by Dell, Lenovo, etc. should therefore be reported here as well. As well as every cheap-o MP3 player that undoubtedly steals marketshare from iPod by imitating it and confusing grandmothers buying for grandkids... As well as every cheap tablet designed in China.

I guess we should read about it all, right here on MacRumors!!! :rolleyes:

-cole-

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

The name is fail. Lumia means in Spannish whore!

TheUndertow

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2011
I've missed Nokia phones...glad to see they are back at work.

It's like they fused their Industrial Design with Colorware....I hope they keep pushing boundaries on color and form....black and white are getting "stodgy".

mentholiptus

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I thought I'd like the advertised turquoise color but OMG it looks like plastic crap in real life ! :eek:

Yeah, I thought it looked good on their site. It looked like they were made of aluminium ( ;¬) ), but the actual shot does make it look cheap.

I like what MS has done with their mobile OS. I'm glad they did the work to find an original solution for their UI, and I think it's going to pay off well for them. Proof that you don't need to rip off Apple's UI in order to bring touch based interaction to a mobile device.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I like it. Its got a bit of "iPod Nano" about it and kids will love phones in these colours.

It won't really challenge the iPhone but it will certainly get the attention it deserves.

I'll still stick with my 4S though :)

raremage

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Orlando, Florida
I think the 800 looks pretty nice (though I think the 710 looks like crap), and certainly that device gives Nokia and Microsoft what looks like a quality entrant into the Smartphone game.

I don't know that it pulls me away from an iPhone personally, but if I'm up for a renewal and looking at new devices, it would be worth a look.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
The software is amazing. It's not tightly integrated as iOS but is definitely becoming better day by day.

It's new; its original and not just a ripoff. From apps to UI, it breaths originality and great seamless user experience. I have used HTC Mozart 7 which I got for my mom. Although the software is not straight forward, as my mom says, its still usable by at least a considerable amount of people who can easily use iOS.

The platform may have some 35k apps, but honestly, the apps are no where near to iOS. The quality and number is both lacking + Microsoft doesn't provide good APIs so that they apps may differentiate themselves. iOS has the best APIs on the planet for UI customisation and UI design which the others can only dream of. WP7/7.5 schema for design and implementation revolves around left/right scroll; so all apps are more or less the same - absolutely monotonous.

I have been using iPhone4S for 3 days and good lord, its the best thing I've ever used. I could never get the amount of apps and good apps on any other platform. Battery life's good as compared to HTC Mozart 7 even though it has a lot of location based stuff - runs on dual core processor with graphic intensive apps.

Summary - Anybody looking for a non-iOS/non-Apple platform - WP7,5 is the way to go.

Well done Microsoft. For once, I believe you have originality and conviction of making something better.

EDIT: As for the phone and the topic - the phone looks great but I can only wonder how uncomfortable would it be to actually use it given it has unyielding corners which may prove to be very uncomfortable in actual use.

Granted, i only know a select few developers thats developing for the windows phone, but none of them have ever complained about "bad API:s". Lacking, with regards to certain functionality (mostly pre-mango) for sure. But bad? Nope. On the contrary, thats the dev. environment is the one thing they've spoken highly off. In fact, had it not been for that, few of them would've kept supporting the platform.

andybrown44

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Hull, UK
All desktops and laptops released by Dell, Lenovo, etc. should therefore be reported here as well. As well as every cheap-o MP3 player that undoubtedly steals marketshare from iPod by imitating it and confusing grandmothers buying for grandkids... As well as every cheap tablet designed in China.

I guess we should read about it all, right here on MacRumors!!! :rolleyes:

Not really; this is Nokia's real launch into the modern smartphone world, and it is generating a lot of media buzz. I think there is a difference between a site like this reporting on every product competitors make and reporting on competitor's major new launches. I didn't mean that MacRumors should tell us about EVERY product ever made by anyone in competition with Apple. Maybe I should have phrased it better.

Tofaha

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
MI
a cousin told me yesterday that said she wanted a nokia phone because of its ringtone. :eek:
so if this one has the nokia ringtone its hers! lol

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
The lumia Looks like an old nano, the first generation.
How is it Sony and Nokia and Samsung etc always have crappy names for their products like numbers etc or words that we don't understand, thats why they fail and the fact that there is not an abundance of third party accessories available means these companies will never compete with Apple, why not subsidize companies to make accessories generate some buzz, no one making accessories means no one cares, Apple deserves to be where they are.
Lumia looks okay the name sucks but I guess if Sony made it they would call it something like the mpd dsc2345eu so Lumia as pathetic as it is may sell if its cheap enough in bargain bins. How about next time calling it the Nokia Blue.

Nokias naming scheme for dummies:

1xx - low end.
9xx - high end.

Yeah, real hard to get, aint it?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I was about to post the *exact* same thing!

I simply don't get it.

I generally have no complaints with macrumors (except maybe, please stop spoiling the Jobs bio for me!), so don't anyone say "well, don't come here!!!" But really, what does this have to do with anything.....? Genuinely puzzled. :confused:

This is on all the other "Apple" sites. 9to5mac, Appleinsider. Why wouldn't MacRumours post this.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
I like the look of the Nokia Lumia 710 better than the 800. I have to say this is the first phone and OS that looks decent since the iPhone and the price of 270€ is ok.

I find it quite attractive too. Its a bit... chubby, but still. Very nokia-esque with the way you can mix and match colors too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.