Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hal0n

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2004
Icewind said:
I'll go with the conspiracy theory too. I reckon Apple would have to deplete their current inventory of Macbooks and Core Duo CPU's before starting the new manufacturing phase with Merom. This would almost certainly leave a gap in supply (well, that's what I'm hoping for, as I'm waiting for Merom before I order).

I know the feeling of having to wait after you guys have placed your order. It happened to me when I bought my Mac Mini and 23" ACD last year. You can't get anything done... just gotta keep checking that status :D

they don't deplete inventory to the level of not being able to fulfill orders. excess units and parts are desirable from a repair/replace stand point. and, look at the "refurb" store... every model for 1-2 generations back is still on sale.

this delay is most likely related to changing the manufacturing process for part or all of the computer because of a defect in the design. that's the time that it's undesirable to have excess inventory... when that inventory is a liability due to defects.

tarjan

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
hal0n said:
this delay is most likely related to changing the manufacturing process for part or all of the computer because of a defect in the design. that's the time that it's undesirable to have excess inventory... when that inventory is a liability due to defects.

Doubtful that this is a defect issue, probably just the parts availability issues related to intel or the option chosen. Nothing to see here, move on.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
bigrell486 said:
I kinda feel your pain, I was supposed to get my Macbook today. But I went to the store for 15 mins and I missed the FedEx man. :(

Now I have to wait until tomorrow :mad:

I hates the fedex man

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
Just to add:

I've been pacing the apple (Australia) online shop for the past few days - playing around with combinations and price options - and last night delivery times for the macbook were est at 24 hours - now delivery has changed to 9-11 business days (but not for the MBP).

Now...this isn't the beginning of a school year in Australia - so no reason for there to be a rush on sales per se.

This could mean anything or nothing...perhaps even a worldwide shortage - or we are going to get an upgrade of course (which is what I think). But I'm surprised it's not the MBP first.

Edit: I'm not one to usually jump on the conspiracy theory bandwagon - but delivery of 9-11 business days for Australia - I take it to really mean 3-4 weeks - that would place it well and truly in the timeframe of the next Apple event (even though there is no 'keynote').

FredClausen

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
KALM
I hate to put the damper on the Core2Duo enthusiasm, but according to Apple Insider Apple is having trouble keeping up with demand. This makes sense as this is back to school month, people are getting new systems to take to college and Apple has really pushed their computers in the TV ad blitz.

Not saying Core2Duo's aren't in the cards, but I think the bottom line is Apple can spit out only so many MBs and people are demanding more than Apple can give.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
FredClausen said:
I hate to put the damper on the Core2Duo enthusiasm, but according to Apple Insider Apple is having trouble keeping up with demand. This makes sense as this is back to school month, people are getting new systems to take to college and Apple has really pushed their computers in the TV ad blitz.

Not saying Core2Duo's aren't in the cards, but I think the bottom line is Apple can spit out only so many MBs and people are demanding more than Apple can give.

You're beiing way too logical and realistic!

Where's the fun in THAT?!

;)

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
MrFusion said:
Order yesterday, shipping on the 29, arrival expected on the 7th of september. If the delay is due to Merom, is there any chance we'll get one of those? Or are we getting the last of the current crop. Because that would be a shame.
If merom is coming then the reason for the delays is so you can be bumped.

I wouldn't be surprised if on the 4th you checked you order status and it said 'replaced' with newer product' or something like that.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
tarjan said:
Doubtful that this is a defect issue, probably just the parts availability issues related to intel or the option chosen. Nothing to see here, move on.

Actually, it is both. I had to send my MacBook back due to a defective logicboard ( a very common problem ). When I took it into the Apple Store, they had mentioned that logic boards were backordered for about a week, ( the 24th ).

I cannot help but think that the logic boards are in short supply due to both the demand, AND, the overhead caused by the need for a design update to the logic board, and those that are in the field dying.

A merom would be nice though...

Max.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
maxvamp said:
Actually, it is both. I had to send my MacBook back due to a defective logicboard ( a very common problem ). When I took it into the Apple Store, they had mentioned that logic boards were backordered for about a week, ( the 24th ).

I cannot help but think that the logic boards are in short supply due to both the demand, AND, the overhead caused by the need for a design update to the logic board, and those that are in the field dying.

A merom would be nice though...

Max.
Yeah, they could be backordered a week to put in the Merom chip...

or not. :eek:

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Anyone posting the shipping times like 3-5 days and so on.. heres a hint.

Its Bank Holiday coming up. So shipping times are being extended ;)

red41

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
FredClausen said:
Wow, amazing. The same article I posted earlier in this thread :)

Sorry mate, just speed reading through posts and didn't see the hyperlink.

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Doh! I was two clicks away from giving up on the wait for Merom and just ordering my Macbook today. Now that the gratification is far less than instant, I think I can handle waiting a little longer.

While I was waiting, Apple got me to add a printer to my cart as an impulse buy. I think this extended shipping time is just a ploy to get me to order an Airport Express as well.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
JPark said:
Doh! I was two clicks away from giving up on the wait for Merom and just ordering my Macbook today. Now that the gratification is far less than instant, I think I can handle waiting a little longer.

While I was waiting, Apple got me to add a printer to my cart as an impulse buy. I think this extended shipping time is just a ploy to get me to order an Airport Express as well.

The sooner you get your order in the queue, the sooner it'll be shipped once the supply is up...

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
Unspeaked said:
The sooner you get your order in the queue, the sooner it'll be shipped once the supply is up...

Very true. But for some reason, there's a world of difference mentally between getting it by the end of the week and getting it sometime next week or so. Whereas the difference between next week and the week after doesn't mean anything to me. I'm sure that next week I'll be wishing I had ordered it this week, but of course that's next week.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
bigrell486 said:
I kinda feel your pain, I was supposed to get my Macbook today. But I went to the store for 15 mins and I missed the FedEx man. :(

Now I have to wait until tomorrow :mad:
I realize it's already too late since this is tomorrow, but you should be able to call them up and have it available at a local location for pickup after a missed delivery attempt. You can't do this before they try delivering once, but after should work. I've done this countless times with FedEX, UPS, Airborne (now DHL).

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Oh hell yes!

I've intercepted numerous packages at the local distribution hub rather than wait.

They just pull it off the delivery truck and hand it to you as long as you call ahead
and verify that they have it there.

ncfcstar

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2006
Near Ipswich, UK
hi, i've lurked around here for ages but thought i'd post on this topic.

I ordered my MacBook on Sunday (20th Aug.) and originally my ship date was yesterday (24th Aug.) delivery on the 4th Sep, this was probably because I put a gig of ram and 80gb hard drive on my order.

So yesterday came and I checked my order status to find that the date had changed to shipping on the 4th September!

Today I checked again and date of shipping had changed to the 29th, and now it has gone back to the 24th!! I've checked in both Firefox and IE so it was not a case of having to refresh.

I was annoyed originally that I didn't even receive an email to tell me that the shipping dates had changed, but now I feel i'm in a worse predicament because I have simply no idea when it will ship since the estimated shipping day has now been and gone.

iUserz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Sorry to bump up an old thread...

Delayed AGAIN, till the 31st this time.
I've called apple previously and no I can't upgrade the delivery to express or anything like that so that I get it next day because it has already been "processed" with FedEx. But even though it gets processed they seem to be able to bump it back just fine :rolleyes:
This is really frustrating...move in is September 4th and first day of classes is sept 11th. Not only will I have to come back home for the macbook, but it will be after classes have started now =/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.