Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Don't call names....

Originally posted by wondermite
It would be quite silly to close the booth for TWO DAYS of the entire conference, you gits.

The exhibit hall doesn't open until the third day!

http://www.macworldexpo.com/macworld2003/V40/index.cvn

MWCP_Home_165x111.gif
CREATE_NY03_Dates.gif

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Well, today isn't tomorrow, so...

Jobs is toying with us. There probably will be something announced, matter-o'-factly, regarding upgrades.
Maybe Jobs is toying with us. Maybe there will be a G5 Powerbook tomorrow!:D

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
Originally posted by jazzman45
this is just ridiculous, school is right around the corner, and i've convinced at least 3 people to get powerbooks, and i keep saying...just wait a bit, wait a bit... they really need to update these things, i mean 6 months is too long not to update.
If Apple doesn't update the 15" before the fall semester, then dude, I'm gettin' a Dell

:mad:

Bruja

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2003
Lathrup Village, Mi
Originally posted by QCassidy352
people have been saying for months "they're just around the corner." my theory is that we see 1.2 Ghz G4 powerbooks in 2006.

-------------
Once the end of the week comes about then we'll see. 20 Quid says Jan 2006 (Just incase)

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
November last year was the time when i started to take serious note of Apple when it came to purchasing hardware from them, then when the 12" PB came out i decided i wanted one and got myself a iB (big difference i know), anyway the 15" is the more famous laptop and its the reason why i bought a mac in the first place, i've always wanted it...

I'm willing to sell my iBook tomorrow and take a huge chunk out of my credit card for one.

I've already got a buyer lined up to take the ibook off my hands so all i need is the annoucement ...not a dissapointment.

The_Wall

macrumors member
May 20, 2003
Ticked Off

Quiet frankly I'm a little pissed. :( I have been waiting for the new 15"PB to come out for quiet sometime and the odds arent looking good now. I need to try and have my computer before August 1, as I report for soccer pre-season. If there is no new PB soon, I maybe forced to go with a Dell or a Sony Vaio.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
I think this is all Apple/IDG politics. Apple is doing all it can to diminish the importance of this particular show (east coast macworld). WWDC was rescheduled to be just prior, making all the big announcements for products that weren't shipping anyway (thus, could have equally been made in NYC). Yeah, there were some announcements useful for developers but honestly not much (WWDC has rarely been an announcement platform, no matter what was going on).

My prediction is no new products this week, but new powerbooks NEXT week. Again, to drive the stake further into IDG's heart.

I'll be at the show, but not expecting any surprises.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
This doesn't make any sense.

They released the 15" in Nov. Then, a few months later, the 12" and 17". Then they shipped the 17" a few months after that. 8 months later, we still have the same 15", which isn't bad, but it's not as good as the 17". And is still missing features that the 12" has. You'd think they would have at least either waited to release the 15", to be on par with the later releases, or brought it up to spec already. Unless they had some major new release coming. But then, they said the G5 won't be going in to a laptop anytime soon. So they could be making a minor speed bump, but why wait so long, unless Motos new chips aren't ready. But if it's taking so long, they should have just released a 15" that has, at least, the features of the 12".

I'm confused. :confused:

I hope they just release something soon. Even quietly. Minor speed bump. Better features. Shipping soon.

I dount they will release a new iBook. Contrary to popular belief, the Gobi isn't ready to be shipped yet. Soon, we will have 1 GHz+ iBooks, but not yet. Besides, they're newer than the PBooks.

Escher

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2001
Dakar, Senegal
IMO, the fact that there is no secrecy surrounding Apple's booth doesn't tell us much. We're going to get new PowerBook G4's. So there's not much to hide in terms of signeage. And it wouldn't take more than 20 minutes to swap aging Titanium PowerBooks for new 15-inch Aluminum PowerBooks on the displays.

I'm still betting on at least an updated 15-inch PowerBook tomorrow on Apple's website or Wednesday during Jozwiak's keynote.

Escher

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by nagromme
MacWhispers has done a 180 and now thinks that not only are G5 PBs not coming soon, but that neither is an Aluminum 15". A new 'Book is still expected soon though: their sources suggest the 15" will get a minor revision to the old Titanium design instead, for now.

Take with salt.

The big question of course is, why are you still reading them? They have zero credibility. They've pumped out dozens of rumors and have only gotten one right out of luck.

venture160

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2003
Boston
where the H**L is it already!!!!

i am going to college this fall as well, and like jazzman i have convinced 2 fellow pc users to get powerbook! and both have stressed that they want the 15" model. and i told them to wait until next week, they want to buy them now, if they dont come out with this they are going back to the dark side, apple please listen!!! plus when i go to college in a month i want a computer that wont be a year old and would be replaced in a few months, this is getting rediculously stupid now.

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
Originally posted by beefcake
If Apple doesn't update the 15" before the fall semester, then dude, I'm gettin' a Dell

Which will run OS X *so* much better...

Ikash

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
i hope this rumor isn't true if it is im gona be very very disapointed in apple. i might even have to commit apple suicide and buy a dell. you guys are gona have to talk me down. im not yet a ture apple person just yet, i have an 15gb new ipod and and ipod **** and poster so im getting there but the last thing i will need is an apple computer. i was hoping to get the new 15" before i go on my convention in silicon valley but its not looking likely now. im hoping the rumors isn't true

:eek: :( :mad: :eek: :( :mad:

Ikash

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2003
i think we should all write apple and like flood there mail boxes with the request for them to release the nw 15" powerbooks already but this would have to be big, i mean everyone on alot of apple pages would have to write,

think it might work

Ikash:confused:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
manufacturing glitch?

You have to think that from a marketing viewpoint Apple wanted to have the 15" updated already. It is Apple's main PowerBook and with PowerMac sales in the tank PowerBooks were keeping the company profitable (or nearly so). Therefore, I'll speculate that there is some kind of manufacturing problem that is holding this up. That could be anything - CPUs, metal parts, batteries, screens.

Remember in Hitchhiker's Guide a spaceship full of people was kept in suspended animation because the ship didn't have the lemon scented towelettes they needed for the trip? They explained to the ship's computer that there was no civilization on the planet to supply those. The computer replied that someday sentient beings would evolve on that planet and they would form a civilization and they would manufacture lemon scented towelettes so until then they would just wait.

nazariteguitar

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2003
.......Something BIG is coming........

I still am not loosing hope for something BIG! Just think this past year, notebooks out-sold desktops, after all this is the "year of the notebook". I don't believe Apple would introduce such an amazing product at the beginning of the year, just to let it die off and be trampled by the tower at the end. The delay of the 15" AL is a huge mystery, but I think we are on the verge of understanding why Apple has held back the 15" (possibly 15.4") AlPowerbook.
Apple has shocked the world in the past and they will do it again.

You might think I am too optimistic and naive, but apple is well aware of the fact that notebooks will take over.

(All this coming from a windows user [soon to be Apple user after the 15"al is unleashed], that has never owned a Mac product in his life.

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
This just plain SUCKS!

I hope this is not true, cause I'm in the market for a laptop. I switched in Dec. so I by no means am a Mac zealot. I love OS and can't wait for Panther, but the Hardware is killing me. I love my iBook and chose it to be on the safe side if I hated the Mac platform. Now I'm ready for a better comp to do some image editing, but to use old and slow hardware from yesterday and paying today's price's is an outrage. I was hoping for an update on the 15" since I will get it before Sept. for school. I don't get it EVERYONE knows that the back to school season is where computer manufactures make a good deal of their business. Apple on the other hand seems to use it as a way to clear out inventory when the others are releasing their newest models, this was the case last year when I was researching for a laptop. If this does turn out to be true I just may switch back and get a Dell , I may love Apples products but I am a consumer who is just trying to get the most bang for his buck.

wilco

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2003
Re: manufacturing glitch?

Originally posted by neutrino23

Remember in Hitchhiker's Guide a spaceship full of people was kept in suspended animation because the ship didn't have the lemon scented towelettes they needed for the trip? They explained to the ship's computer that there was no civilization on the planet to supply those. The computer replied that someday sentient beings would evolve on that planet and they would form a civilization and they would manufacture lemon scented towelettes so until then they would just wait.

You must do great with the ladies!

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
Whats up with all the hatin? My TiG4 1ghz with 1GB RAM is fantastic... why wait for an update?

If I couldnt find a 15", and I need a powerbook, I would just bloody get a 12 or 17"... nothing is worth getting a piece of ****e dell!

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2003
Well, for me

The 12" is just a bit too small. The 17", I could probably live with it, but it's a damn big system. I suspect my iMac would be easier to carry around.

If there's no update to the 15" tomorrow or Wed, I will probably just buy the TiBook. It's all I need. Yes, I'd love to have more speed and AirPort Extreme (the only two things I'm really hoping for in a PB update, maybe move the ports to the side rather than the rear), but I don't think it's worth buying a Dell over!!!

I'll enjoy the next month with my new PB and I'll probably be reading all the same stuff in a month waiting for the Paris show to unveil new PBs. If Apple waits another month, it had durn well be more than an Al case, speed bump and AE...

Besides, Titanium sounds cooler than Aluminum anyday.

...Jim

Aciddan

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2002
Australia
Nothing New at Macworld was confirmed (now reenforced) by chats to certain people on Sunday.

I mentioned this in the Macwhispers thread:

[EDIT link] https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32057

- No Als until the surplus Ti Casings are all used up (which means the Tis will be around for a while yet).

I hope they're wrong, but given the way they said it I've got the feeling that this is a true statement...

-- Dan :(

panphage

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2003
The 15" powerbook is shipping same day at the apple store. I don't think they're gonna ship me a ti15 and then start selling al15's a few hours later. They'd have to take a lot of returns.

nazariteguitar

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by panphage
The 15" powerbook is shipping same day at the apple store. I don't think they're gonna ship me a ti15 and then start selling al15's a few hours later. They'd have to take a lot of returns.

Good point, but when would they cut the line completely without giving away the new model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.