Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Already have mine on eBay. Now is the time to sell for maximum resale. If you wait until the next iPhone is announced on Sept 8th/9th, expect the resale value of your iPhone to drop by $100-$150.

Now is the time if you plan to fund your next iPhone with your current iPhone...

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Obviously the earlier you sell it the better the price you get for it. The problem is for me at least is that I can't do without a phone in the mean time plus my Apple Watch will not work if I do not have a compatible iPhone. I guess I could get a cheap pay as you go phone but it doesn't solve the issue of the Apple Watch. I will probably just wait until I get the new phone and then sell this one for whatever the best price I can get for it at that time.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I already sold it yesterday. I was hesitating because selling it would mean having an iPhone 4 for the next 3 weeks, but after a guy on craigslist accepted to pay the $650 I was asking for it, it was a no brainer

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

rdcrds

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Craigslist getting dicey these days. Neighborhood forums would be safer.

Not really. The best time to sell would be before Xmas. Many more people who need to save money and get the iphone 6 or 6 plus then the little updated 6S

I found out last year older models i wanted to get on ebay went up right before xmas. Right now there is no real market for the phone but wait till near Xmas and a mint iphone 6 or 6 plus will go for more later then now

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Not really. The best time to sell would be before Xmas. Many more people who need to save money and get the iphone 6 or 6 plus then the little updated 6S

I found out last year older models i wanted to get on ebay went up right before xmas. Right now there is no real market for the phone but wait till near Xmas and a mint iphone 6 or 6 plus will go for more later then now

Uh... this absolutely wrong. The minute a new iPhone gets ANNOUNCED, eBay gets flooded with older iPhones. eBay starts advertising to sellers to sell their iPhones and to buyers to get deals on iPhones. This trend will continue though Christmas with people getting brand new iPhones as gifts and selling their old ones. The used market will be flooded with inventory. The price will be driven down. NOW is the time to sell. I fully expect my 64GB 6+ to sell for $700+ on eBay when my auction ends.

Reactions: gabo864

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Uh... this absolutely wrong. The minute a new iPhone gets ANNOUNCED, eBay gets flooded with older iPhones. eBay starts advertising to sellers to sell their iPhones and to buyers to get deals on iPhones. This trend will continue though Christmas with people getting brand new iPhones as gifts and selling their old ones. The used market will be flooded with inventory. The price will be driven down. NOW is the time to sell. I fully expect my 64GB 6+ to sell for $700+ on eBay when my auction ends.

Exactly this. Also, if anyone has been looking at Swappa etc it's already flooded as is. It's only going to get worst come the 9th and drive prices even further down.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I really wish I could decide which of my 2 phones I should sell. I have a 2014 Moto X and an iPhone 6, and one of them needs to go for me to get the next iPhone. I need to get them sold quickly, as both the 2015 Moto X and iPhone 6s are just around the corner. Decisions, decisions.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I really wish I could decide which of my 2 phones I should sell. I have a 2014 Moto X and an iPhone 6, and one of them needs to go for me to get the next iPhone. I need to get them sold quickly, as both the 2015 Moto X and iPhone 6s are just around the corner. Decisions, decisions.
That's easy, the Moto X is garbage! Camera is terrible and the battery life is poor too!

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
That's easy, the Moto X is garbage! Camera is terrible and the battery life is poor too!

Yeah, my biggest complaint is the battery life. It is very poor, especially for a 2300 mAh battery.

The big problem I'm having is the $$. I can get about $250 for my Moto X, compared to $550 for my 6. Can I really stand using the Moto X for the next 3 weeks so I can get an extra $300, or do I want to take the $300 hit and continue using my iPhone?

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I'll hold my 6+128gb till I have the new device in my hands, that is if I order one. Still on the fence till I see some real information. Prices drop but it's never anything crazy. Rather hold mine to use and take a 50.00 hit then go phone-less or go back to an older device I have laying around.

Reactions: Mr.C and Flow39

FtrV8

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
I'll hold my 6+128gb till I have the new device in my hands, that is if I order one. Still on the fence till I see some real information. Prices drop but it's never anything crazy. Rather hold mine to use and take a 50.00 hit then go phone-less or go back to an older device I have laying around.

Not a bad idea. Using my 5S in the interim, and it is painful, especially after having gotten used to the screen real estate.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
That's a good option. Keep your device until after you get a new phone and then take a small hit but you won't be using an old phone or no phone at all.

Reactions: Mr.C

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Well, I'm considering selling my iPhone and using my 2014 Moto X as backup, but I'm still not sure if I'll sell my iPhone.
What are some cheap back up phones someone can go out and buy? Do the carriers give you any type of issues activating a new phone for 3 weeks or charge anything?

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011

I think it's going to be worse than that. Once the new 6 comes out there will be two generations of 6's, the one that bend and the ones that don't. You'll constant have to promise people that it's not bent or put in your ad "no scratches, not bent, no flexing" and when someone does buy it they have another reason to dispute the sale. Too risky if you ask me, especially on the 6+ versus the 6. Normally I'd agree and hold, but not in this case. Given that Apple is rumored to be specifically strengthening the chassis, they are confirming that the current 6's aren't strong enough. That's a red flag. Right now it's okay because it's the only one available, but once there's a choice it's going to be a tough sell.

Reactions: Bako-MacAddict

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
What are some cheap back up phones someone can go out and buy? Do the carriers give you any type of issues activating a new phone for 3 weeks or charge anything?

Cheap backup phones. Hmmm... The Moto E and Moto G are under $200 and are pretty good for what you get. The Nokia Lumia 640 is decent and could hold you over for a few weeks if necessary. You could always stop by your carrier store and check out what they have and explain your situation. I haven't had any problems switching between phones on T-Mobile, nor have I ever been charged more money, but I'm not sure about other carriers and their policies.

kshen1

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2013
If anything...you could just order any phone on Amazon and then return it once you get your iPhone 6S.

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
Cheap backup phones. Hmmm... The Moto E and Moto G are under $200 and are pretty good for what you get. The Nokia Lumia 640 is decent and could hold you over for a few weeks if necessary. You could always stop by your carrier store and check out what they have and explain your situation. I haven't had any problems switching between phones on T-Mobile, nor have I ever been charged more money, but I'm not sure about other carriers and their policies.

I just got a cheap/used iPhone 5C for $170. I'll be able to resell it when I'm done upgrading and take maybe a $20 hit on it, if that. It's a little bit of torture, but I'm liking the small size after using the 6+...

Reactions: Flow39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.