Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Nice, did you do the Samsung Ultimate Test Drive??? or did you buy it?
Nah got it on contract so will be buying the 6S plus sim free. Not cheap i've sold about £750 worth of samsung devices to help fund all these new apple products i've recently brought.

promet2009

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Macon GA
Question, I have a 6+ that was for VZW (but as many others have said they are factory unlocked from the get go) but we switched our family over T-MO (I paid off all the device fees before doing that) and we have nothing tying the phone from being sold. So, my question is how do I list that when I sell it? I is a 16GB SG 6+ it will be unlocked though. Thanks!

iWallace26

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Either y'all rich or I'm too poor, but reading people talking about spending $200 on a backup phone sounds pretty crazy to me -- it's fine though, it's y'alls money. I bought an iPhone 4 16GB for $45 and I only paid $20 because I had some leftover money on a gift card. I know I have to wait about 3 more weeks or so, but I'm fine. Of course I miss Siri, fingerprint sensor, Apple music (I paid 99c for 3 months with spotify for now tho), but its not worth paying $200 for an iphone 5s that I'm gonna use for the next couple weeks. UNLESS you're planning on giving it to your kids? a cousin? as a gift.

I sold my iPhone 6 64GB for $650. if I were to spend $200 on a backup phone I think it wouldn't be worth it. I would just sell it after I get my new iPhone 6s.

If y'all want to buy an iphone 4, I can tell you who sold it to me on Amazon. This phone is in such a great condition, clean MEID and the guy shipped it fast.

im interested does he sell for att

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Already have mine on eBay. Now is the time to sell for maximum resale. If you wait until the next iPhone is announced on Sept 8th/9th, expect the resale value of your iPhone to drop by $100-$150.

Now is the time if you plan to fund your next iPhone with your current iPhone...

Well, there's that. I sold my IP5S about 10 days before the IP6 announcement and I got just under $450. However, the next 15-20 days were hell, using one of my old flip phones. I DID get my new IP6 on the first day they were available.

If you're going to use this strategy, first backup, then forward calls to a standby phone (could be a landline or a old cell phone), then format the phone as new and finally remove the sim card.

After selling my IP5S, I followed the pricing on eBay and yes, the "market" prices did decrease as the new phone became available, then strangely going prices for the IP5S again increased to about around what I got around 3 weeks later. Not saying this is a rule or would happen again. However, it's worth $100 to me to NOT be stuck with a garbage phone for several days.

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Got $550 from Craigslist . No eBay stupid fees nor PayPal.

Stupid fees? There ain't any free lunch. Yes, I've sold Apple phones on craigslist, but it can be a PITA. First, the "meeting" to exchange. Don't want them to know where I live and who wants a stranger in their home?

No shows, a craigslist "speciality"! And then there's the cheapies. If you ask $450, they's say would you take $350? And then there's the "can I have it free" so that I can use it to get a job or my kid needs a phone for safety? And finally, what I call the "bottom feeders" that call 2 weeks after the ad disappears to see if it's still available. Almost everything I'v sold on eBay brings out the bottom feeders looking for a REAL bargain. Oh, I forgot the Nigerian scammers who say they will pay maybe $200 more than the listing price, but they want to do a transaction out of some B movie.

And yes, I've had some great craigslist sales, but they're rare whereas on eBay, the deal is done without ANY of the BS above. Well worth the eBay/PayPal fees in my book.

No, I don't own any eBay/PayPal stock.

Last edited:

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Stupid fees? There ain't any free lunch. Yes, I've sold Apple phones on craigslist, but it can be a PITA. First, the "meeting" to exchange. Don't want them to know where I live and who wants a stranger in their home?

No shows, a craigslist "speciality"! And then there's the cheapies. If you ask $450, they's say would you take $350? And then there's the "can I have it free" so that I can use it to get a job? And finally, what I call the "bottom feeders" that call 2 weeks after the ad disappears to see if it's still available. Almost everything I'v sold on email brings out the bottom feeders looking for a REAL bargain. Oh, I forgot the Nigerian scammers who say they will pay maybe $200 more than the listing price, but they want to do a transaction out of some B movie.

And yes, I've had some great craigslist sales, but they're rare where as on eBay, the deal is done without ANY of the BS above.

I sold a macbook, 2 ipads, and 3 iPhones. I have never had any issues at all. first of all, of course bringing someone to your home is a big NO NO! there is no point in even mentioning it! Parking lots, my home, their home, someone's home is always out of the question. I always meet in the food court at the mall, or at a Att or Verizon store (always do the exchange in the store, not the parking lot), police station, too.

I always tell them what the final price is, that I want cash, large bills and thats it, only one guy asked me to bring the price down by $50 and it was before we met and I was okay with that. Also, never ever give them your phone number (you don't want anybody calling you), real name, or tell them where you work. I created an e-mail only for craigslist and I tell them I can only contact them by email thats it. if they don't want to then I move on to the next buyer.

Everytime Im getting ready to go meet the guy I do think about the chance that they might not show up, but oh well I don't live too far from the mall and I never agree to meet anywhere but within the area I live in.

I have tried to sell on eBay, but the buyer is always number 1 priority for eBay! and you never know if after selling a phone the buyer will say the phone was cracked and make something up and you lose your money. I rather meet up in person where the guy can actually test the phone right in front of me. Also I don't like paying any fees. I just sold my iPhone 6 64Gb for $650! got all my money cash and I didn't have to pay any fees. As long as you're smart about how u handle business on craigslist then everything should work out just fine.

Reactions: promet2009

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
I just sold my iPhone 6 64Gb for $650! got all my money cash and I didn't have to pay any fees.

Well, different strokes for different folks. Life must be rosy is Georgia. At least Craigslist rosy. It "ain't" like that in King County (Seattle Area). The portrait I painted of craigslist in this area is accurate and I've done around 100 sales there, mostly stuff that would be very hard to ship for an eBay sale. And almost every sale DID include a "bottom feeder" a week or so later looking for a distress sale.

As to your comment about giving out a telephone number, I guess you could block it IF you needed to speak with a buyer. I use a extra cell phone that I normally have off except when I need the phone to meet/discuss sales. I would NEVER use my landline. And yes, you can lug your Apple gear to the local Starbucks, but it might be hard to lug a lawnmower to a buyer meeting.

No need to reply to me as I'm "unwatching" this thread...

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I just got my reserve price with Gazelle. I usually do eBay, but wanted to know it was sold and have the time (30 days from today) to purchase the new phone. And, if I change my mind, no harm, no foul. 99% chance I will want the 6s, 64GB.

Reactions: promet2009

promet2009

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Macon GA
I just got my reserve price with Gazelle. I usually do eBay, but wanted to know it was sold and have the time (30 days from today) to purchase the new phone. And, if I change my mind, no harm, no foul. 99% chance I will want the 6s, 64GB.
I was going to ask about that. I know you can lock it in for 30 days, from the day you accept the offer, but what happens if you don't use it? It just goes away, and no biggie, like you said? Basically asking is, if you don't want to take that deal because you got more elsewhere, you don't have to end up using them right? No "agreement"? Thanks!

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I will sell my Unlocked 64GB 6 Plus when my Unlocked 128GB 6S Plus will arrive on my doorstep. :)
Sure, I can sell it now (I have 2 back up phones - an iPhone 4 and some Samsung from 2007), but I won't. The camera, Continuity, speed & experience are more important to me than saving 100$.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I at least have mined locked in at Maxback for $505 for my Unlocked 64GB 6 Plus. So at leasts I know I can get that. I usually have a backup phone but I just got rid of it. Im sure prices will plummet on Swappa but at least I know I can get $505.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.