NTFS ext HDD doesn't work after ML update

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by snowmaan, Aug 9, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Sooooooo annoying
    Have a tonne of data on two drives and after the upgrade and now it no longer works

Not happy, it's getting a bit funny now with my OSX, everythig used to just work, but now things are playing funny

Attached is the error message
    I can't reformat this drive, I need to get it to work now, and I had to make it NTFS so I could move large files onto the drive in the first place

Also, my wife's Galaxy Note phone isn't recognized anymore with the new OSX, no matter what I seem to try

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

did you confirm the drive actually is not the problem by testing it on another PC or Mac?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Yep sure did, looking at it on my toshiba now

Also remember, it's two drives, one ext seagate drive - 3tb, and one 64gb usb stick

4. macrumors 601

brand

Since the error is obviously pertaining to the NTFS-3G drivers that you had installed prior to upgrading to Mountain Lion have you tried reinstalling the NTFS-3G drivers?

5. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you contact support for NTFS-3G, since it appears that its a problem with their driver?

6. macrumors newbie

I can confirm that paragon NTFS drivers work on Mountain Lion, so that is an alternative if your current drivers don't work

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys
    No I havent contacted them, nor have I tried to reinstall them

To be honest, I am fairly techie but with this, I was afraid to do this in case I blow away the contents (ie wedding photos on there!)

Where might I start with this one?
    Can you direct me to the right file or URL?
    I seem to recall there being few options, as I dont recall exactly how I installed it

I did a quick search and I have a note saying to upgrade to tuxera, which seems to be a new "paid option" for a free product I used to have, maybe?

8. macrumors 68030

SlCKB0Y

Tuxera isn't new, it's been around for a while.

I don't believe you will be able to get ntfs-3g working on ML without some messing around. Since you can get Paragon NTFS for $20, it's probably not worth your time.

Also, both Tuxera and Paragon significantly outperform ntfs-3g in terms of transfer speeds.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

9. macrumors 6502a

10. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys
    Paragon it is then, cheers again