Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
I can't believe I lost 150+ gigs of video, it's slowly kicking in.

HERES A WARNING TO ALL YOU FINAL CUT NEWBIES

DO NOT EDIT VIDEO ON YOUR DRIVE THAT HAS YOUR OS ON IT!!!!

IT ACTUALLY BECOMES BUGGY AND SOMETIMES IT FREEZES AND MAKES ME PISSED OFF!!!

i need that external drive to come back to life.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Ah, the past few days I have edited 2 videos for my friends, boy those took forever but they came out pretty good. I ran OnyX to repair permissions and optimize everything and final cut stopped being buggy.

A video I'm about to shoot is about a monkey/gorilla from the jungles of africa trying to fit into society...My friend is going to borrow a monkey suit and go to random stores and try to fit in...I'll share it with you guys when I finish it..

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
So did you ever try to put it in an external enclosure. Hope this works if not I'm sorry. I had to learn my lesson as well a few years back I lost everything that I had so that's why I have two back ups now.

I only wish blue ray would come around so I could back up my stuff without having to buy new drives when I max them out.

Nuc

Edit: If you do put the drive in an external enclosure and it stops making that stupid beeping noise use something like TechTool Pro to see if you can fix it. If it mounts and everything, make a backup before trying to repair it through TechTool.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
It was already in an external enclosure, I'm going to stick it in another tower if I can find one...If the computer recognizes it or if the hard drive starts spinning, that will tell me the HD is still alive and I can get a PowerMac and stick it in there or buy another enclosure and maybe I can recover some files.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
UPDATE

I tried sticking the hard drive in a tower, and got the same beeping noise. So something is wrong with the hard drive, not the enclosure, which is something I did not want to happen because it is hard to replace that.....Guess I might get this thing repaired...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.