Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Im in california, and yea its pretty outta control. On the other hand, I'm vegetarian and I encourage you all to consider :rolleyes: . (and by consider i mean looking up facts and studies and making your choice)

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
It's happening all over the world including Australia. Currently the rate is 50% of the population is obese. The premier of Queensland is on a diet and urging people to do the same. While PM John Howard is asking people to get out and walk, which he does every day. There even a huge amount of money being funded in school canteens, new foot paths and etc. It's pretty crazy down here, with the issue.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Well, I can vouch that there are still a lot of beautiful people in California, too :p But obesity is really beginning to become a serious problem not just in CA, or the United States, but all over the world. It's not good at all. People should stop eating fast food. Vegetarianism is a good alternative, but at least cut out the fatty red meats. I still can't believe that article that showed up on Macrumors the other day about those fast food burgers that have like 1400 calories and 100 grams of fat :eek:

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
ds1, thanks for the info.

Guess it's a serious problem world wide.

ilifecomputer, can't...must have meat...

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yeah, it is a little odd to talk about how fat Californians are, when three CA cities are actually on the top 10 fittest cities list (SF, San Diego, Sacramento). It's really serious in places like Detroit, Philadephia, New Orleans, and pretty much all of Texas.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
jamdr said:
Yeah, it is a little odd to talk about how fat Californians are, when three CA cities are actually on the top 10 fittest cities list (SF, San Diego, Sacramento). It's really serious in places like Detroit, Philadephia, New Orleans, and pretty much all of Texas.

I can vouch for the Texas part of this quote. I work out religiously and even I could stand to shed a few pounds. But practlcally everything served in this state is deep fried, well at least it seems like it anyway. :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Eevee said:
Californians enjoy eating. My dad used to own a Mongolian BBQ. It was popular during dinner time since it's all you can eat. Many times, I would see obese people coming in. Very scary!!!

Careful there buddy! :D

As a person that loves Mongolian BBQ, I fit your profile. I have gotten better at watching what I eat, but there are multiple reasons for overeating. And the lack of will power is not the sole reason.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
The problem isn't just what we eat, but the lack of exercise. In LA, at least, you have to drive everywhere. Public transportation is a joke. That means the only exercise one gets in the day is walking to and from the car, unless one joins a health club or has some other exercise regime. Yet when I lived in Seattle, I would walk everywhere and I probably weighed ~40lbs less while eating more.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
oaklandbum said:
The problem isn't just what we eat, but the lack of exercise. In LA, at least, you have to drive everywhere. Public transportation is a joke. That means the only exercise one gets in the day is walking to and from the car, unless one joins a health club or has some other exercise regime. Yet when I lived in Seattle, I would walk everywhere and I probably weighed ~40lbs less while eating more.

yeah, down here in Texas we don't know what public transportation is either, for the most part.

AlaskaAUG

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2005
Anchorage, Alaska
When I lived in Los Angles for two years I noticed that poor and middle-clase neighborhoods had the fatties, while the Bel Air and Beverly Hills type neighborhoods had hot women and healthier population.

An Alaskan 10 is a Bel Air 5.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
Moo.

I wouldn't say Californians suffer from obesity any more than Kansans or Floridians, etc. All people need to take responsibility for their own health.

We may have fewer excuses not to eat right (we grow a lot of fruits and vegetables) or exercise regularly (it was a perfect 72 degrees yesterday).

But don't be fooled into thinking everywhere in California is overflowing with beautiful people. There are some straight-up cowtowns out here. :D

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
daveway00 said:
Why single out Californian's? This is a global issue, but prominent in my area sadly. I admit, I could shed a few. ;)

Steady on there. Global, as in worldwide? 70% of the world probably eats less than their counterparts in the US throwaway.

Without wishing to sound fattist, but I just got back from San Diego and as an outsider looking in, I was staggered by the number of huge as in cuboid people there. There have to be a few contributing factors, and eating too much is probably a symptom of lifestyle?

Everything seemed to be served big, fast and often. And snacking. Wow, it was like there was little self control.

There seemed to be hardly any opportunity to enjoy the beautiful countryside, so many freeways. And the driving mentality is unbelievable. I saw a pedestrian twice I think, and she stood out like a sore thumb. What is she thinking walking along there!. Going to the park was an excuse to fire up the BBQ and eat and drink some more.

Live in a more rural culture where you walk and dont snack all day and have set meals and you get a different people profile. I can think of one person in the town I live who would qualify in that "enormous" category. (Unless there are armies of hugely overweight here who cant get out.)

I am just going to go back to the monastery I live in and pig out on a lettuce.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yes, obesity is a mystery. Here's what we do know:

1. People eat way more than they should, cramming just one more huge 800 cal portion down their bloated gullets without questioning why they feel "stuffed" afterwards, and

2. They don't get their fat asses off the sofa even once a week for even light exercise.

Then they constantly ask me how i stay so 'thin' or even better, call me anorexic. can't go through a day at work without at least 2 people mentioning how I "look too thin" even as they bitch about how their latest fad diet hasn't worked after 3 weeks.

</venting>

But yeah, it's a mystery.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Fat people associate exercise as being unpleasant. Exercise to a fit and lean person is actually pleasurable.

Maybe that's one reason fat people are getting fatter.

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
Lacero said:
Fat people associate exercise as being unpleasant. Exercise to a fit and lean person is actually pleasurable.

Maybe that's one reason fat people are getting fatter.

I think it is a mind thing, not a fat thing.

As a fairly lean and well above average fit person, I can assure you there was nothing pleasurable about getting back on a bike yeaterday after 2 sedentary weeks living the American way! Looking after yourself is a mental thing, and luckily I had a mate who ignored my bitchng and moaning, and kept me cycling when I really didnt want to. I woke up today feeling a lot better about myself and I will have no problem getting back in training this week.

So, if you have a good mindset and a realistic gameplan to regain your health, I would have thought exercise for an overweight person would be even more appealing than someone like me just topping up?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Eevee said:
Californians enjoy eating. My dad used to own a Mongolian BBQ. It was popular during dinner time since it's all you can eat. Many times, I would see obese people coming in. Very scary!!!

Hopefully this study will encourage Californians to start working out!

I have always been on the thin side. Just had a dietitian check on my BMI last Fall, "You are still of a normal weight." I used to enjoy going to an all you can eat bar. Considered it to be a lot of fun. Just can't eat that much. Now my eye is bigger than my stomach. End up feeling stuffed and then feel miserable.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
People eat because they are bored, sometimes. And other times, as we know, they eat because it fills them up emotionally. So that's why for fat women, it's a vicious circle.
no.gif

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I live in Los Angeles and rarely see any "obese" people. When I visit my parents who live in the suburbs of LA, then THAT'S when the obese come out of the woodwork, or the McDonald's -- whichever.

One of the "problems" is that there are just too many fast food places. Everywhere you look there is a McDonald's or Burger King. It's not a problem for me because I simply choose not to eat there. It's much more satisfying to buy and make your own food, plus it's a lot cheaper.

Exercising is a big problem as well. Maybe the 80's band Missing Persons was right: nobody walks in L.A.

Fishes,
narco.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
narco said:
It's much more satisfying to buy and make your own food, plus it's a lot cheaper.
fish.gif
Actually, they did a study and found that making your own food is actually more expensive. I don't remember the details of the study but they looked at the time spent shopping/preparing/cooking/cleaning, etc and it was cheaper to just eat out.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Lacero said:
fish.gif
Actually, they did a study and found that making your own food is actually more expensive. I don't remember the details of the study but they looked at the time spent shopping/preparing/cooking/cleaning, etc and it was cheaper to just eat out.

That's assuming that time = money, right? But if you have the time to cook, in general I would guess it's cheaper. Unless you go to really cheap fast food like Taco Bell.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
wdlove said:
I have always been on the thin side. Just had a dietitian check on my BMI last Fall, "You are still of a normal weight." I used to enjoy going to an all you can eat bar. Considered it to be a lot of fun. Just can't eat that much. Now my eye is bigger than my stomach. End up feeling stuffed and then feel miserable.

Similar here - I can't fill up my stomach, otherwise I'll be in for a night of hell. I used to get nausea, diarrhea and all that hell every other night back when I was young. Learned to pay attention to what my stomach says - it doesn't matter what I'm eating, when my stomach says to stop, I stop, period. I don't understand people who quite literally just ignore it and continue eating and eating.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
oaklandbum said:
That's assuming that time = money, right? But if you have the time to cook, in general I would guess it's cheaper. Unless you go to really cheap fast food like Taco Bell.

Yeah, I don't consider my time=money since I do have time to cook. It's actually nice to take time to cook since I rarely take breaks throughout the day.

And my old diet was a lot cheaper than eating fast food. I used to live off of 7-11 hotdogs and coke. Then I wised up and bought my own pack of hot dogs, and a case of coke -- saved a ton of money since 8 hot dogs cost about 25¢ when you buy them at the grocery store, compared to ~$2 at 7-11.

Fishes,
narco.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.