Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
For a split second my thoughts went to the space-ship-campus-building. When that's done, I think they'll do most everything 'at home'. Might as well get used to it.

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
Anyone else see what 9to5Mac has written? Sort of spoilt it for me.

Saw it. I didn't see anything really new, just confirmation of all the rumors we've been hearing for months.

If they have waited 16 months to release a new phone with NO new physical characteristics, then I'll be surprised. And tons of people will be sorely disappointed, I fear.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Saw it. I didn't see anything really new, just confirmation of all the rumors we've been hearing for months.

If they have waited 16 months to release a new phone with NO new physical characteristics, then I'll be surprised. And tons of people will be sorely disappointed, I fear.

Exactly. That was just most of the rumors put together. They know as much as we do! NOTHING!

BassPlayer

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
West Haven, CT
Anyone else see what 9to5Mac has written? Sort of spoilt it for me.

I did, and I liked what I saw. I'll be getting it, regardless of the form factor. I buy a phone (and any electronic commodity) based on what it does, not necessarilly what it looks like. Yes, a pretty phone is a bonus, but not a deciding factor.

A phone is like a person. The outside may become outdated, it might develop some scratches and blemishes over time, but it's what's on the inside that counts.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I don't disagree which is why i said in another post that Apple should be more upfront about the state of his health, I am old enough to remember Andropov and Brezhnev and whenever they disappeared from view for months they always had a "cold" whereas infact they were terminally ill so if Apple were less soviet union and gave a bulletin on the state of Steve's health all the speculation and Steve hunting could stop.

Apple doesn't have the right to disclose a person's protected health information (PHI) without that person's permission. And being a former CEO of a major company doesn't automatically waive a person's right to privacy when it comes to his/her health.

Go figure.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010

A phone is for making phone calls and sending texts on, most of us have iPad's for big screen browsing.

----------

Apple doesn't have the right to disclose a person's protected health information (PHI) without that person's permission. And being a former CEO of a major company doesn't automatically waive a person's right to privacy when it comes to his/her health.

Go figure.

He has been promoted to chairman though, he is still running the show just putting in less hours and probably working from home as opposed to commuting to Cupertino every day.

Jobs is Cook's boss, still the most important person in Apple and Mr Apple as far as the public are concerned.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
if you cannot understand that people might like better Android or iOS , it means you are a mindless robot.

He understands, he just doesn't give a *****.

----------

He has been promoted to chairman though, he is still running the show just putting in less hours and probably working from home as opposed to commuting to Cupertino every day.

Jobs is Cook's boss, still the most important person in Apple and Mr Apple as far as the public are concerned.

That still doesn't mean he waives his right to PHI. President of the US? Maybe. Chairman of the Board of Apple? Still a private citizen, with rights.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
He understands, he just doesn't give a *****.

----------

That still doesn't mean he waives his right to PHI. President of the US? Maybe. Chairman of the Board of Apple? Still a private citizen, with rights.

He is still the most important man in the country outside of the president and possibly the vice president so is not like a regular company boss, he is the chairman and former CEO of America's biggest company and the most high profile company in the world

If Apple are not honest about his health then they could surely be guilty of fraud by concealing information likely to affect the stock price ?

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
Considering the iPhone 4, and the 3GS are the top 2 selling phones in the US, one could argue that 3.5" is the industry standard. Just sayin'
Even if no one is using it but Apple?

Why are people so worried about screen size?

This is a PHONE. Not a laptop, not a tablet.

I consider my 3gs already too large and too heavy to really comfortably carry in my pocket.
You ever think that just maybe smartphones aren't for you?

Time to wake up and smell the coffee. Steve is not working at Apple and hasn't been for many months. He's fighting for his life. The Chairman title is window dressing. His exit has was planned for months. It's not surprising. Tim will do the presentation. If Steve were to appear at all, I think it would be at the end. It's Tim's company now, and that needs to be affirmed from here forward.
+1

1: I get more inches from an android phone..... Screen.

2: It once and for all proves that I'm not an apple Fanboi.

3: It's freedom of choice. I chose to by an Android simply because it's not an iPhone.........

....10: I'm an expert in everything. So I must be able to modify my phone with themes 'n ***** because I know exactly how that makes everything better. Remember Myspace?
Ah, this is the biggest pile of dreck I've ever had the misfortune to read...

Your rose colored glasses need a serious dose of reality. "still running the show...just working from home...". If you think he's involved in anything other than fighting for his life with everything he's got, you're fooling yourself.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
only foolish investors

...Steve is probably the single finest American orator since Martin Luther King...

He is still the most important man in the country outside of the president...

Worship much? :rolleyes:

...there is probably huge numbers of investors that are clinging on for Steve to recover and return to his old role as CEO...

Only foolish investors would expect him to ever return - since January most investors should have been assuming that Steve would be dead soon.

For a split second my thoughts went to the space-ship-campus-building. When that's done, I think they'll do most everything 'at home'. Might as well get used to it.

If it's built - the backlash against that stupid building is growing, and Steve won't be around to "wow" the town council.

Hopefully Tim will shelve the design and come up with a smarter solution that's better for the area and the environment.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
If Apple are not honest about his health then they could surely be guilty of fraud by concealing information likely to affect the stock price ?

Steve Jobs is not a commodity he is a human being with a wife and three children. So much for treating a great man with respect. How about treating him humanely. If you can muster that.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Would you have said the same thing before the iPad 2 launch ?

Steve didn't resign before the iPad 2 launch. He has resigned now. Apple is moving along without Steve.

No, it won't make any difference to the stocks.
It seems that investors have faith in the Company, not in the people.
It is the Company that makes the decisions, not a single person.

Pay attention at the current stock level, and also keep in mind that any other company in the world has this company-centric approach, Apple was an anomaly. And this anomaly, in my opinion, led to speculate on their stocks.

This is clearly something not wanted and the Company is trying to shift to another direction.

That's another reason why you won't see Steve on stage this time, because it's all about Apple, not all about Steve. And this is very good for Apple itself.

Very well said. Now it is about the company, not Steve.

Apple are a business though and like any business sales are what matters and if Steve doing the keynote is going to sell more iPhone's than Tim or Phil doing it then Steve it will be provided he is well enough, Steve is probably the single finest American orator since Martin Luther King.

The launch publicity in the media is going to be all about Steve anyways, if he turns up and does the keynote the press will give loads of publicity because Steve was there, if he doesn't turn up the press will be all about speculation about the state of Steve's health because he didn't turn up.

----------

Also I disagree about the stocks

They fell 5% when Steve resigned before recovering, they recovered because he was still going to be chairman and guide the company with his vision, there is probably huge numbers of investors that are clinging on for Steve to recover and return to his old role as CEO, when Steve dies there is a sense of finality, he won't be there to guide the company, he won't return to his old role as CEO so I fully expect a short to medium turn drop in the share price after Steve's death

You should try to get out in the world and broaden your experiences with great people and people who do good in the world. It may be hard to believe, but the world doesn't revolve around Apple. But I'm sure you know that. You're merely playing this ultra fanboy logic for reaction here.

He is still the most important man in the country outside of the president and possibly the vice president so is not like a regular company boss, he is the chairman and former CEO of America's biggest company and the most high profile company in the world

If you think Steve is the next most important person next to the President, you need to reassess your priorities. That has to be one of the most foolish thing I have ever read on this forum, and I have read plenty. My guess is you're going to the extreme viewpoint to get a rise out of everyone, just like LTD does. I don't believe any adult would have this type of viewpoint.

Do you research. Apple is not Americas biggest company.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
If other people can't see that you have bought the latest iPhone, then what's the point of buying it?

Actually, seeing how the iPhone is the best selling phone there is, there are good reasons to not let other people you bought it. Kinda defeats the whole "standing out of the crowd" by itself. ;)

If your goal is to "stand out", you should buy a more obscure phone. For everyone else who wants an iPhone, we don't really care what it looks like as long as it is functional and the iPhone 4 design is perfectly functional.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
If you think Steve is the next most important person next to the President, you need to reassess your priorities. That has to be one of the most foolish thing I have ever read on this forum, and I have read plenty. My guess is you're going to the extreme viewpoint to get a rise out of everyone, just like LTD does. I don't believe any adult would have this type of viewpoint.

Do you research. Apple is not Americas biggest company.

Apple is the most valuable company on the stock market, I believe its value is the same as Exxon so joint most valuable then so I would say the founder/till recently CEO/chairman of the most valuable company and the man that revolutionised the entertainment industry is by far the most influential businessman and business is how the Obama administration gets its money in order to be able to govern, if there were no businesses there would be no tax revenue for the government to spend so Steve is incredibly important.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Apple is the most valuable company on the stock market, I believe its value is the same as Exxon so joint most valuable then so I would say the founder/till recently CEO/chairman of the most valuable company and the man that revolutionised the entertainment industry is by far the most influential businessman and business is how the Obama administration gets its money in order to be able to govern, if there were no businesses there would be no tax revenue for the government to spend so Steve is incredibly important.

Wrong. Apple is a consumer products company. We can survive w/o iPhones, iPads. Exxon is a basic infrastructure company. Without Exxon we can't even have an economy. One is truly valuable overall to society and other only to investors.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Wrong. Apple is a consumer products company. We can survive w/o iPhones, iPads. Exxon is a basic infrastructure company. Without Exxon we can't even have an economy. One is truly valuable overall to society and other only to investors.

Yeah but who knows who the president of Exxon is without looking it up on Google ? probably his wife and family and the board of Exxon and Obama but that is about it whereas everyone around the world knows who Steve Jobs is, go to the foothills of the Himalayas or the outback in Australia or the jungles of Kenya and you will find people who know who Steve Jobs is.

Do a poll of members of the public anywhere asking them to name an American businessman and the top 3 by miles would be Jobs/Gates/Zuckerburg, no one knows who the president of Exxon is so Steve is by far the most important businessman in America in terms of the public.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Yeah but who knows who the president of Exxon is without looking it up on Google ? probably his wife and family and the board of Exxon and Obama but that is about it whereas everyone around the world knows who Steve Jobs is, go to the foothills of the Himalayas or the outback in Australia or the jungles of Kenya and you will find people who know who Steve Jobs is.

Do a poll of members of the public anywhere asking them to name an American businessman and the top 3 by miles would be Jobs/Gates/Zuckerburg, no one knows who the president of Exxon is so Steve is by far the most important businessman in America in terms of the public.

Steve Jobs' celebrity has nothing to do with whether Apple is truly valuable to America. Without the big oil companies, our cars don't run because they don't have fuel and we don't get groceries because the trucks have no fuel. Oh, and without the natural-gas based modern fertilizer we don't have "big agriculture" either to support feeding a population of 325 million people. In the grand scheme, Apple is a glorified toy company. Even Microsoft has more value because of their enterprise software.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

With each post, you outdo your previous one. Please do a little research before posting. You are blinded by your fanboyism. The good news is that it's reversible.

the foothills of the Himalayas
the outback in Australia
the jungles of Kenya

Comedy gold.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

Not if federal health privacy laws require that concealment, no matter what the size of the corporation nor the potential effect on the stock market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.