Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
If Apple are not honest about his health then they could surely be guilty of fraud by concealing information likely to affect the stock price ?

Not if federal health privacy laws require that concealment, no matter what the size of the corporation nor the potential effect on the stock market.

Tell you the truth Apple already got looked into once over the matter in the past before Steve's liver transplant where he took a leave then and it was found out after the fact what really happen.
SEC said that Steve Jobs might be a special case at the time as he was the CEO and his health would have a much more drastic effect on the stock price than any other CEO of a publicly traded company. They looked into it seeing if there was any fowl play.

Now that Steven Jobs has complete stepped down as CEO I do not think they have to report it as much as he is not the CEO of the company and as such the public should not have any right to his information. I would not be surprised in the least if the SEC decides to investigated Apple again later on. Big time if the stock drops by a large amount if/when he dies.

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
Love iPhone? You're an iSheep.
Love Android? You're somehow an amazing free thinker, despite the fact that you're still just buying a small box full of wires and chips from a company wanting to sell you some stuff. Amazing.
It appears your sarcasm detectors are out. Could you fix those ASAP? Please and thank you.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Apple is the most valuable company on the stock market, I believe its value is the same as Exxon so joint most valuable then so I would say the founder/till recently CEO/chairman of the most valuable company and the man that revolutionised the entertainment industry is by far the most influential businessman and business is how the Obama administration gets its money in order to be able to govern, if there were no businesses there would be no tax revenue for the government to spend so Steve is incredibly important.

Yeah but who knows who the president of Exxon is without looking it up on Google ? probably his wife and family and the board of Exxon and Obama but that is about it whereas everyone around the world knows who Steve Jobs is, go to the foothills of the Himalayas or the outback in Australia or the jungles of Kenya and you will find people who know who Steve Jobs is.

Do a poll of members of the public anywhere asking them to name an American businessman and the top 3 by miles would be Jobs/Gates/Zuckerburg, no one knows who the president of Exxon is so Steve is by far the most important businessman in America in terms of the public.

You're not even amusing anymore. These types of posts are utter nonsense.
There is no credibility to anything that you post.

With each post, you outdo your previous one. Please do a little research before posting. You are blinded by your fanboyism. The good news is that it's reversible.

Comedy gold.

He's not a fanboy, it's an act.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
You're not even amusing anymore. These types of posts are utter nonsense.
There is no credibility to anything that you post.

He's not a fanboy, it's an act.

I have a different opinion to you, deal with it and get over it

You are behaving very childlishly

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
If Steve isn't gonna be there, its not worth going to. Tim Cook knows this so he books a smaller place. Smart man.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I honestly think the reason for this is they are only releasing iOS and iPhone4S and not the iPhone 5 with larger screen etc.

I love comments like this because they show the total gullibility of people which makes sites like this work.

Some rumor site says that Apple is making an iPhone 4s AND an iPhone 5 and folks believe it. Some site says that Apple is making a thinner phone with a larger screen and folks believe it.

AND when that thinner phone doesn't happen this year, folks will believe the rumor articles saying it was due to whatever instead of the truth which is that Apple was likely never planning to make sure a phone this year, if at all.

----------

I hope Apple doesn't release a iPhone 5 only 4-6 months after releasing a iPhone "4S" next month. That would be deceptive on their part.

it would only be deceptive if they had ever said that they won't release a new iPhone less than 12 months after the old one. They have never said that so there should be no expectation that they will stick to that minimum time frame

----------

There is no great mystery as to why Apple is not hosting the event at Yerba Buena in San Francisco.

The actual answer is (drumroll pls....)

Oracle OpenWorld is being hosted in SanFrancisco for almost the entire week of October 2nd.

The entire Moscone complex and most all other Yerba Buena venues are booked.

So then if Apple really wanted to use one of those places, they would move the event. They haven't told us when it is yet so who would know that they really wanted it on the 4th but had to shift it to the whenever to have the venue.

Then again, this is Apple, who got the NBA to kick other presentations off the stage so they could use it for their Final Cut Pro X preview. They could just tell Yerba Buena that they want that date and probably get it

----------

http://idevicegazette.com/2011/08/steve-jobs-on-wheelchair-hong-kong-media-reports/

Taken by a chinese paparazzi

I don't believe that this is photoshopped tbh and that is clearly his wife in the pic

And no one is helping him move around. Looks to me that he got out of the car and into the chair all on his own. Who knows when that photo was taken. Perhaps it is months old from right after the transplant.

And hells bells just cause the man might be having a bad day and is a little more unsteady than typical doesn't mean he's about to drop dead. He had a major form of cancer and a major organ transplant. Maybe in the movies he'd be climbing mountains a month later like nothing happened but in real life, you don't ever 'get over' either of those things. Your health will be up and down forever.

----------

It's also possible that his problem is standing still, as his body is wracked by insufferable waves of pain and his 40 kg frame tries its hardest to balance itself as it holds a giant belly almost entirely filled with water and cancer cells. Pancreatic cancer is not something pretty to look at.

I don't recall Mr Jobs issuing a statement that he was in any pain much less "insufferable waves" or that his pancreatic, or any other kind, had returned. Making your comment questionably trollish, or just a total fabrication and you gullible for taking the bait and repeating it

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
--------

[/COLOR]

And no one is helping him move around. Looks to me that he got out of the car and into the chair all on his own. Who knows when that photo was taken. Perhaps it is months old from right after the transplant.

And hells bells just cause the man might be having a bad day and is a little more unsteady than typical doesn't mean he's about to drop dead. He had a major form of cancer and a major organ transplant. Maybe in the movies he'd be climbing mountains a month later like nothing happened but in real life, you don't ever 'get over' either of those things. Your health will be up and down forever.

----------

I have said all along that I believe that Steve will be taking an active part if not the lead part in the launch of the new iPhone and that the refresh is so out of kilter compared with normal is because they are waiting for Steve to be well enough to do the keynote, I stand by both.

Do I think he will reach 70 ? not a chance, do I think he will still be alive this time next year, yes

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
And no, he's not spending time at the office. Try to find any reports about him working after becoming the chairman of the Apple board.

Trouble with that argument is that Chairman of the Board isn't a day to day job. So there's no need for him to be there every day. He might only have to be there for a monthly meeting.

Also, he could always be consulting via email, FaceTime etc from a home office where he's working on designs for whatever.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Tell you the truth Apple already got looked into once over the matter in the past before Steve's liver transplant where he took a leave then and it was found out after the fact what really happen.

And as I recall, they cleared Apple of all wrong doing because there was no proof that Jobs couldn't do the job doing the time that the details were kept private and when he couldn't, he had taken a leave and put someone else in charge.

And yes now that he's not CEO there is zero requirement to make any statements about his health at any time.

----------

I have said all along that I believe that Steve will be taking an active part if not the lead part in the launch of the new iPhone and that the refresh is so out of kilter compared with normal is because they are waiting for Steve to be well enough to do the keynote, I stand by both.

Well you are welcome to 'stand by' those comments but it doesn't make them in any way correct.

It is highly possible that Apple moved the launch to October because that is when they wanted to have it. Perhaps they felt they were stalled out on amazing new changes to the iPod series since SSD haven't leapt forward in size and pricing. Which means they would have nothing amazing to drive sales numbers into the holiday season (lets face it, iPods are a bigger seller than computers for Oct-Dec). So they decided months ago to push the phone to October to fill things in. iOS 5 was shifted to the same date because it just makes sense to release the two at the same time. iCloud needs iOS 5 to work so it goes with.
And rather than them pushing the new phone later because they released the Verizon phone in January, perhaps they already knew the next phone was going to be later and that is why they went ahead and released a Verizon phone in January instead of waiting for the 5.

They may have also decided at that time that they wanted to do the announcement on campus rather than at Moscone etc. Both decisions made way before Steve resigned. Heck maybe Steve made the decisions this time last year before he ever went on leave.

And whether Steve appears or not could have nothing to do with his health but he could stay away from the stage as a way to bang it over folks heads that Tim Cook is the big man on campus now. He's the one folks need to be victimizing with their lack of respect for privacy. Several sites started up nicely with their 'is he gay' discussions. As if that really matters.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
If it's built - the backlash against that stupid building is growing, and Steve won't be around to "wow" the town council.

Hopefully Tim will shelve the design and come up with a smarter solution that's better for the area and the environment.

Just curious why it is stupid? It is pretty neat looking and has a lot of landscaping, so what could be done that would be better for the area and environment?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Just curious why it is stupid? It is pretty neat looking and has a lot of landscaping, so what could be done that would be better for the area and environment?

Let's just compare it to a smart building.

Adobe's downtown HQ is 1M square feet on 7.5 acres (15 to 18 story buildings). Apple 2 is 3M square feet on 150 acres (4 story).

Adobe's HQ has 4 bus stops on campus, and is 200 metres from light rail. Apple 2 is in the middle of nowhere, with tons of automobile parking spaces.

Apple is already planning Apple 3, but where? If Apple 2 were smart, then Apple 3 would just be a new tower or two on campus 2.

Apple 2 is stupid, and will most likely never be built. And most likely, as soon as Steve is six feet under, Tim will admit that it is stupid and cancel it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If Apple are not honest about his health then they could surely be guilty of fraud by concealing information likely to affect the stock price ?

Nope. Under SEC mandate they only had to reveal any details that related directly to his ability to do his job. And only while he was CEO. When he was on leave and someone else was CEO, and now that he is retired from that position, there is no mandate. AT least not where Jobs is concerned. Now the mandate is about Cook.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Nope. Under SEC mandate they only had to reveal any details that related directly to his ability to do his job. And only while he was CEO. When he was on leave and someone else was CEO, and now that he is retired from that position, there is no mandate. AT least not where Jobs is concerned. Now the mandate is about Cook.

Hmmmm technically true but in terms of the public Apple IS Steve Jobs, the 2 are so heavily connected in the public vision that even now anything related to Steve will directly affect the stock price even if he is not CEO any more.

Most investors bought stock because of Steve and Steve's vision for the direction of Apple.

Were CNN to break into their news bulletin today to flash the news "Reports are coming in that Apple founder Steve Jobs has died" watch that stock price take a severe hit even if it is a short term hit, if it fell 3% on the basis of iPad sales watch it drop 10% or more when Steve dies

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Hmmmm technically true but in terms of the public Apple IS Steve Jobs, the 2 are so heavily connected in the public vision that even now anything related to Steve will directly affect the stock price even if he is not CEO any more.

Most investors bought stock because of Steve and Steve's vision for the direction of Apple.

Were CNN to break into their news bulletin today to flash the news "Reports are coming in that Apple founder Steve Jobs has died" watch that stock price take a severe hit even if it is a short term hit, if it fell 3% on the basis of iPad sales watch it drop 10% or more when Steve dies

No it won't. The stock price has gone up since he resigned. Investors buy Apple because of the company, not Uncle Steve. Investors aren't fanboys. Their intent is to make money.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008

Then watch it bounce back up to $500 - - it's called an opportunity. If you're lucky enough to see the stock drop 10%, it's time to buy.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
No it won't. The stock price has gone up since he resigned. Investors buy Apple because of the company, not Uncle Steve. Investors aren't fanboys. Their intent is to make money.

They only went up because Steve was staying on as chairman, investors felt confident that he would still be guiding the company IMHO, if Steve had made a clean break from Apple then the price would have suffered and when he dies that is a clean break, Steve is effectively still calling the shots as he is Tim's boss, when Steve checks out for good there will be big nerves among investors as to whether Tim will carry on Steve's vision and strategy.

Tim could bring in Flash for example which would likely affect sales of iOS products negatively, while Steve is still there hell will freeze over before flash is bought in.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
They only went up because Steve was staying on as chairman, investors felt confident that he would still be guiding the company IMHO, if Steve had made a clean break from Apple then the price would have suffered and when he dies that is a clean break, Steve is effectively still calling the shots as he is Tim's boss, when Steve checks out for good there will be big nerves among investors as to whether Tim will carry on Steve's vision and strategy.

Tim could bring in Flash for example which would likely affect sales of iOS products negatively, while Steve is still there hell will freeze over before flash is bought in.

Give it up. You're wrong. Steve is gone. Investors don't care. The company is successful on it's own merit. Yea, I'm sure the stock price will crash if they allow flash on iOS. Keep trying.

CWT1965

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
Give it up. You're wrong. Steve is gone. Investors don't care. The company is successful on it's own merit. Yea, I'm sure the stock price will crash if they allow flash on iOS. Keep trying.

Flash was just an example, it would put me off Apple products, I love the walled garden approach of Apple it is one of the big reasons I buy Apple products other than addiction to them, if Flash was introduced it would mean iOS would be buggy and unstable and have the battery life of a laptop whereas one of the attractions of iOS devices to me is battery life, for the first time ever I would consider not bothering with an Apple release if it had flash and if the walled garden approach was scrapped

So long as Steve is there and breathing Apple will adopt his strategy and vision but once he dies then Tim could possibly tear it up and bring in his own ideas and differ from how Steve sees Apple :(

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
Flash was just an example, it would put me off Apple products, I love the walled garden approach of Apple it is one of the big reasons I buy Apple products other than addiction to them, if Flash was introduced it would mean iOS would be buggy and unstable and have the battery life of a laptop whereas one of the attractions of iOS devices to me is battery life, for the first time ever I would consider not bothering with an Apple release if it had flash and if the walled garden approach was scrapped

So long as Steve is there and breathing Apple will adopt his strategy and vision but once he dies then Tim could possibly tear it up and bring in his own ideas and differ from how Steve sees Apple :(

You realize that someday, maybe tomorrow, next year, next decade, Apple will shut down, right?

And the world will continue to turn.

natekettles

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
South Africa
Love iPhone? You're an iSheep.
Love Android? You're somehow an amazing free thinker, despite the fact that you're still just buying a small box full of wires and chips from a company wanting to sell you some stuff. Amazing.

Sometimes it's alright to just say "hey, I love this product, it works for me, regardless of it's perceived flaws". Quite often, this will mean buying something that lots of other people also buy. And, as usual, the things you class as a flaw might not be a flaw to others. It might even be an advantage.

Saying that someone is an iSheep because they love iPhones is the equivalent of saying you shouldn't drink milk, because hey, everyone else is doing it. Walking on 2 legs? Heck, everyone does that. I walk on my hands, because I'm pro choice...

Going for an alternative doesn't make you some brilliant minded, more intelligent, superior free thinker. It makes you just another person, buying something you want to buy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, if both sides could just memorise the following, things would be so much better...

iPhone/iOS - I love this product, because it does exactly what I need it to, works well, rarely crashes, and looks great. I don't need to endlessly customise my phone, and am happy to face this shortcoming knowing that my phone is more stable and smooth as a result.

Android - I love this product, because I can make it work however I want it to. I have lots of handset choices, and can get one in any size, shape and colour. I'm happy enough knowing that although there aren't as many apps available, and that they sometimes have stability problems, because I don't really need lots of apps, and just enjoy the phone as it is.

+1 Sums it up brilliantly. Everyone should read this post.

woodekm

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Isnt there always some kind of mele' in town halls? Chairs being thrown, fistacuffs etc? That would mean a iPhone 4S? Right? :):)

Conspiracy theories just KILL ME!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.