Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007

I actually called the phone number in my email and checked the status. They told me it was slated to ship the next day, but to date I have not been charged.

We got a copy of this in at work.... Nothing to write home about. But then again, for the price... you cant go wrong.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
For those of you that have received your special media edition did you also get the expressions media for mac that is supposed to be included??..I'm still waiting on my special media edition.

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
For those of you that have received your special media edition did you also get the expressions media for mac that is supposed to be included??..I'm still waiting on my special media edition.

Yes, there is a second disk in the box that contains the Expressions Media. I haven't installed mine yet, though.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
Yes, there is a second disk in the box that contains the Expressions Media. I haven't installed mine yet, though.

Thanks!..i was just making sure because i think earlier in this thread people that got the regular edition didn't get expressions with it.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Finally got my media edition.

There was a form in there that said there was something wrong with their processing system, and they didn't know if I ordered the Home or Media edition. If it was the wrong one, I could send it in and get a refund for shipping. Luckily they guessed right.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
I haven't even gotten an email so I called the other day and spoke to a guy and he said that they had nothing on record of ever receiving my materials. He told me to fax him my receipt and he would see what he could do. I did that and then called again but couldn't get the same guy but another guy said he would send him an email.

I'll probably end up calling again on Monday or Tuesday. I think this is ridiculous. I bought 2004 when I already had a copy to get this deal (although with the Black Friday Deal).

Wish me Luck.

MikeT

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
I haven't even gotten an email so I called the other day and spoke to a guy and he said that they had nothing on record of ever receiving my materials. He told me to fax him my receipt and he would see what he could do. I did that and then called again but couldn't get the same guy but another guy said he would send him an email.

When did you mail in your stuff? Someone in the thread reported that a Microsoft rep said that they were still working their way through 10,000 unopened submissions.

suresh31

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
I received mine today. Special Media Edition.

It has two DVD's, one Office Mac 2008 and another for Expression Media. It also said I will get a free upgrade to Microsoft Expression Media 2 any time after June 1 2008.

I hope this is what is suppose to be for Special Media Edition.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Got it

I just got mine today... and still have not been charged yet... Microsoft would NEVER let that happen, though.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
So are these full versions or just upgrades requiring the Office 2004 version as well? :confused:

I just got my first special media edition today (still waiting on my second) and it appears to be the full version..i just took a quick look at earlier today and I don't remember is saying "upgrade" anywhere.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I got mine today but

Hi I received my order today and I bought in nov the student edition and i thought i checked the student edition when i filled out the forms. Then when i got my package today it says before u install please see if you received the correct one, we had a problem and were not sure which one u wanted. I am the only one who has a mac in my house and i do not need the 3 licenses so i was wondering if i should keep this one or return it for the student version. I am also concerned if i keep this one and install it will i have a problem with the files created with the student version.

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN1763.JPG
    DSCN1763.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 75

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Hi I received my order today and I bought in nov the student edition and i thought i checked the student edition when i filled out the forms. Then when i got my package today it says before u install please see if you received the correct one, we had a problem and were not sure which one u wanted. I am the only one who has a mac in my house and i do not need the 3 licenses so i was wondering if i should keep this one or return it for the student version. I am also concerned if i keep this one and install it will i have a problem with the files created with the student version.

thanks in advance.

You won't have any problems exchanging files, they are exactly the same. I bought the Media edition because I only have one Mac too, so any extra features are just a bonus even if I never use them. Unless your foresee a need for more licenses, there's no reason to return it.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
You won't have any problems exchanging files, they are exactly the same. I bought the Media edition because I only have one Mac too, so any extra features are just a bonus even if I never use them. Unless your foresee a need for more licenses, there's no reason to return it.

thanks JACKC, so u would recommend that i keep the media edition, i looked online to see how much the media edition was and i saw at least $400 i was in shock that they would make this kind of an error. Cant they tell from the boxtop that i bought the student edition.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
thanks JACKC, so u would recommend that i keep the media edition, i looked online to see how much the media edition was and i saw at least $400 i was in shock that they would make this kind of an error. Cant they tell from the boxtop that i bought the student edition.

They don't care, the difference in cost is about 10 cents.

As far as I know, the only advantage to the student edition is the additional licenses.

midorix

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2007
Got mine Special Media Edition as well.

Mathewr - might as well keep it if you don't need additional licenses.
I only have one Mac and I don't forsee buying second Mac within next 4 years at which time, I'm sure there will be another Office version :)

Besides, with all the hoopla and "system issue", who knows if you get the right version if you send it back.

Several people has already mentioned that H&S edition was missing Expression Media for MAC which has yet to be remedied.

Worst case, you can sell the Special Media Edition and buy the H&S edition easily with some $$$ left over.

cabarle

Cancelled
Feb 15, 2008
Got Mine Too!

I received mine today. Special Media Edition.

It has two DVD's, one Office Mac 2008 and another for Expression Media. It also said I will get a free upgrade to Microsoft Expression Media 2 any time after June 1 2008.

I hope this is what is suppose to be for Special Media Edition.

I received mine yesterday (3/3/08). I'm curious about the Expression Media 2.

Llywen

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2007
I just talked to a lady about my copy of Office 2008...she said that I wasn't in the "system yet" but that they still had 50,000 - 60,000 submissions to go through.

jkwuc89

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2006
Powell, OH
My copy of Office Mac 2008 Special Media Edition arrived yesterday via USPS mail. There was a letter enclosed which stated that if the enclosed product did not match what you ordered, you could call Microsoft to get the correct version shipped to you.

1MacDoc

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2006
Office 2008 Promotion

Well, I ordered the "Student & Teacher Edition" as I needed the three licenses. Instead I got the "Special Media Edition for Digital Media Enthusiasts" that has only one license (but does have Exchange Server support, which I don't need). I tried calling the Toll Free Number listed on their apology note to reorder the correct version, and listened to elevator music for 30 minutes before hanging up in disgust. Looks like I'll have to try and sell this version on eBay and then go to the University Bookstore and buy the version I ordered and need.:mad:

paragonj

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I too received Special Media Edition instead of Home & Student Edition (though to lay some blame on myself, I did originally request SME and called into them in early February to have it switched, which they told me would not be a problem).

I called yesterday and they said they would credit me for the shipping charge, send out H&SE, and I would get to KEEP SME.

Good job Microsoft, good job.

chillywilly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Salt Lake City
I too received Special Media Edition instead of Home & Student Edition (though to lay some blame on myself, I did originally request SME and called into them in early February to have it switched, which they told me would not be a problem).

I called yesterday and they said they would credit me for the shipping charge, send out H&SE, and I would get to KEEP SME.

Good job Microsoft, good job.

Wow! That's pretty wild that they are just giving this away, so it seems. Of course, it's more work for you and more postage for them to have you return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.