Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Today I was reading something on the Google search and found something very interesting. I did not know about Office Online. I decided to try it out with my own document made by 2011 Office for Mac. The format is so bad news is not working h for me to re edit over again.
My question has anyone used this service? It is free with your Microsoft ID.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use it on machines that I've not installed office. I've not had any issues, though I use it mainly for excel.

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
I use it occasionally from the Macs at work though usually only when OpenOffice or LibreOffice fail to handle some Windows specific attribute, usually Word-manipulated images. I haven't had any issues other than needing to deal with the limited "save" formats offered.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My Word for Mac 2011 document doesn't look good with Office Online but you guys said no issues?
YMMV, I mentioned I had no problem with excel, I usually don't use office online with word.

If you don't like the way it looks online, can you use the iPad/iPhone version if you're not near a computer?

MLinneer

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Sherman, TX
Office Online is a quick and dirty alternative to the desktop version. You have limited fonts, limited graphics capabilities, and limited print options. It works fine for editing text and won't change the layout or existing font, though it looks different online since MS substitutes fonts they don't use. I do this a lot with my iPhone and iPad... a quick change and when I open it again on my desktop everything is there.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have an Office version app for iPad. I like it. I might use Office Online sometime in the future in case something happened to my rMBP and iPad and I might want to buy a cheap ChromeBook....

Thank you guys anyway.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Office Online is a quick and dirty alternative to the desktop version. You have limited fonts, limited graphics capabilities, and limited print options.
That makes sense, I only use excel online when I'm in the office and I don't want my personal spreadsheets on the work computer. It is still better to edit them on the desktop browser then my iPhone. The spreadsheets are not overly complex in formulas or composition, so they look fine - but as you mention others may not.

Badrottie

Suspended
Original poster
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
That makes sense, I only use excel online when I'm in the office and I don't want my personal spreadsheets on the work computer. It is still better to edit them on the desktop browser then my iPhone. The spreadsheets are not overly complex in formulas or composition, so they look fine - but as you mention others may not.

Are you a CPA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.