Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
I have v.X now, should I get the upgrade (229.95) or go for the student (149.95). I'm able to get either version. Is there any difference to the student one that makes up for the price difference?

stoid

macrumors 601
Unless going the upgrade route is with the 'Professional' version or whatever comes with Virtual PC, then there should be no difference other than the Student version will say Academic and should not be used commercially.

iBook

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
I think the Student version limits your upgrade options.

For example if you buy Office 2004, Student edition, can you upgrade to Office 200x at the "upgrade" price or will you need to pay full sticker?

Buying the student edition may cost less now but be more expensive over the long run. May not be a problem, though, if Office 2004 offers all the functionality you'll need even when Office 200x is released.

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
I just got off the phone with the apple store specifically about this issue.

They say that they have a coupon that has a grid showing what qualifies for the upgrade.

On the grid it has the student/teacher academic edition with a free upgrade.

I stated to the sales person that in the past it has been VERY difficult to upgrade the educational versions and she assured me that this wasn't the case.

I will be getting office x in the mail here with the coupon in the next day. Will post back then.

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
7racer said:
I just got off the phone with the apple store specifically about this issue.

They say that they have a coupon that has a grid showing what qualifies for the upgrade.

On the grid it has the student/teacher academic edition with a free upgrade.

I stated to the sales person that in the past it has been VERY difficult to upgrade the educational versions and she assured me that this wasn't the case.

I will be getting office x in the mail here with the coupon in the next day. Will post back then.

I got .vX over a year ago, I don't think I can get a free upgrade.

7racer

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
robotrenegade said:
I got .vX over a year ago, I don't think I can get a free upgrade.

I'm sorry, I meant the free upgrade is for those purchasing Office X between now and June...

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
robotrenegade said:
So anyone have the awesome to if I get more out of the upgrade or a new student version?

The student should be eactly the same programs as the full office version. One thing you could do (I don't know how this works with license...sure someone else will know) but you could buy the full student version and sell your previous office version on ebay or here?

Just an idea.

Johnny

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
If you can buy the student version (I.E., you are qualified student) then you should do. It is a full version of Office Standard (no VPC). The big bang is not only is it cheaper but the student licence allows you to install on up to three machines that you own. So, you could install on an iBook you carry to school and then get home and work from a desktop, all legit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.