Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
This doesn't help those of you who are having problems, but I kind of think it's just as important to reassure people who haven't upgraded yet that it's not universally failing.

After reading stuff here I backed up my Office folder and any associated prefs I could find before installing. (which turned out to be ~/Library/Preferences/*microsoft* and ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/*).

I'm glad I did all that just in case, but my upgrade went off without a hitch. I just don't want people to come away thinking that the upgrade is just plain bad and that they should avoid it.

Maybe when something like this comes up it would be useful to set up a poll with items like

"My copy of Office X is legit and the upgrade failed."
"My copy of Office X is *cough* borrowed and the install failed."
"My copy of Office X is legit and the upgrade succeeded."
"My... er... evaluation copy of Office X was upgraded successfully."

The results of this poll would help other people decide whether or not they should risk the upgrade. It might be inaccurate because people who have problems are more likely to read a thread about people who are having problems, and to vote. But it might still be helpful.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by Backtothemac
All you have to do is trash the folder. And reinstall. That will solve the problem. Don't reinstall the update thought, or you will be right back in the same boat.

can you explain this a bit further?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

Exactly as he said.
Just drag your current "updated" Office X folder into the trash, and then drag the original Office X folder back into the applications folder, it's as simple as that, and you won't loose any setting either as they are kept else ware.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

Take your Office v.X folder and trash it. Then, copy the folder from the install Cd, and it will retain all of your settings. Espcially mail. Hope that helps Jello.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity

Take your Office v.X folder and trash it. Then, copy the folder from the install Cd, and it will retain all of your settings. Espcially mail. Hope that helps Jello.

ahh word. i thought you meant some sort of prefs folder or something.... thanks.

so that still won't allow for the upgrade though, right?

have people who paid and couldn't update figured anything out yet? that is typical ms...

my bro had problems with justification in word and called ms to ask about it. they coudln't verify that he was a legal owner (he was) and sent him to the piracy hotline. when asked what the word on the box was to test him he said "what word? oh... 'monopoly'. oh whoops. i mean microsoft".... ha.

that sums it up.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I have been looking around the net today to find a fix for legit owners, and there is nothing. Basically the way it appears right now, that if you have a pirate copy, it won't work, and if you have a legit copy, it works. Now there have been a few people who say they have a legit copy, and it isn't working, and I have to give them the benifit of the doubt.

So, that being said. If they are legit copies, and it doesn't work, then jump down M$'s throat with both feet. I would.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
So, that being said. If they are legit copies, and it doesn't work, then jump down M$'s throat with both feet. I would.

If you don't have a legit copy, you won't be able to b*tch at m$, but feel free to vent here about them. I for one, refuse to pay $400-$500 for a package that has one or two parts that I might use. AppleWorks does those for me (word processing and spreadsheet files).

I'm much happier to dump that money into the Harley, which I have just done (a few minutes ago). I ordered up a different saddle for it... :D I am getting this one ... I got a second opinion about it, and that person agrees that it is going to look 'pissah' on it. :D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
well after being away from my comp for a bit, i tried it again and it worked. i think i had mistyped it the first time, and just accepted that it wasn't working after seeing what folks here had said. ha

ms still blows. i hate "needing" to use office. but oh well. i'll live.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Well, I ran the update on my 'borrowed/evaluation' copy of orfice and it didn't give me any lip. Must be the 'tech sensor' inside the system. :D

skippee

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2002
San Francisco
PST files...

Has anyone tried accessing PST files (personal folders from Outlook) through Entourage X? I've been able to do it through Entourage 2001 but not X. Any help would be appreciated. I apologize if Cross Platform questions are taboo.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: PST files...

Originally posted by skippee
Has anyone tried accessing PST files (personal folders from Outlook) through Entourage X? I've been able to do it through Entourage 2001 but not X. Any help would be appreciated. I apologize if Cross Platform questions are taboo.

Haven't tried it, and don't plan/intend to until we get migrated to OS X here at work. We use Outlook for the corporate email system so we have to suffer with it. I won't be using entrourage at all at home, since the Mail application does all I need it to.

jamesbhai

macrumors member
May 20, 2002
Boston
I've updated office and had no problems at first. it opens fine, but every time i relaunch an office app., i have to reenter the Personal Information and CD Key.

any ideas?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by jamesbhai
I've updated office and had no problems at first. it opens fine, but every time i relaunch an office app., i have to reenter the Personal Information and CD Key.

any ideas?

well that's clearly not right...

what if you get rid of some prefs and then launch em clean.... enter it once. and see if it keeps asking...

if so. you might have to... *gasp* call ms...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.