Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FanboyE

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
there is no way that any phone can compete with the apple ecosystem that is already set in place. By the time ( or if) a company gets close, apple will be years and years ahead.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

No not exactly. There are millions of people on this planet with cell phones. Not all people will buy iphones, not all people want music, twitter, facebook etc. Everyone will not be buying a tablet or a Mac or a Macbook.

Not everyone needs a data plan.

There may be more people who cannot afford an iphone than there are people who can.

The iphone will not put all competitors out of business.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
What would be your opinion on handheld gaming?

Apple never intentionally went after that market. After they saw that most of the apps that were brought were games, they promoted that angle for sales. It is still believed by people like Carmack that they dislike gaming. They have never mentioned Nintendo or Sony in an earnings report or an ad.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
Having played with one today I was highly impressed. I could use it on AT&T too, but 3G didn't seem to be recognized.

They were given out at Google Christmas party last night (in DC anyway) to staff. I do not work for Google, but a friend of mine does.

I mean, to hold, it's Beautiful. It's lighter and thinner than iPhone and felt good in my hand. Typing was easy, familiar to iPhone users. Browser and apps were super speedy. It does have the touchball thing, but I didn't want to use it.

Scrolling was not as smooth as the iPhone, and the only thing I didn't like was that the OLED screen gave a slightly pinkish hue to white backgrounds.

Regardless, I want one

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Apple never intentionally went after that market. After they saw that most of the apps that were brought were games, they promoted that angle for sales. It is still believed by people like Carmack that they dislike gaming. They have never mentioned Nintendo or Sony in an earnings report or an ad.

Whatever their plans were for the itouch is moot at this point. Promoting that angle as you put it is going after that market. I read somewhere hear they may be looking for in house game development? Why would they need to mention MS, Sony or Nintendo? What I see on tv add now is itouch playing games in someone hands. What is different in that then a DS or PSP being advertised?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
there is no way that any phone can compete with the apple ecosystem that is already set in place. By the time ( or if) a company gets close, apple will be years and years ahead.

I have a Moto Droid and an iPod Touch. The iTouch uses the same screen as the iPhone and looking at them both right now the Droid's display looks years and years ahead of the Apple display.;)

NJMetsHero

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Having played with one today I was highly impressed. I could use it on AT&T too, but 3G didn't seem to be recognized.

They were given out at Google Christmas party last night (in DC anyway) to staff. I do not work for Google, but a friend of mine does.

I mean, to hold, it's Beautiful. It's lighter and thinner than iPhone and felt good in my hand. Typing was easy, familiar to iPhone users. Browser and apps were super speedy. It does have the touchball thing, but I didn't want to use it.

Scrolling was not as smooth as the iPhone, and the only thing I didn't like was that the OLED screen gave a slightly pinkish hue to white backgrounds.

Regardless, I want one

It has Wifi I assume. Does it have Google Voice or something built in so I can use it without a carrier, but just Wifi? (I'm on campus just about all the time, not having to pay for data for it would be awesome).

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I'm sure the Apple gang actually would relish a great new challenger and Steve, Jonathan and Company would dive in with incredible gusto if someone would just rise to the occasion! Here's hoping that Google does this.

mweingar

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2004
Orange County, CA
tmobile? perhaps the only worse choice than at&t. good luck with that carrier.

other than that, i welcome competition to the iphone!

Totally agree.

I actually have been dual wielding the new Motorola Droid and my iPhone 3Gs for over a month now and have decided to cancel my iPhone. It has everything to do with AT&T. Both phones are excellent but the dropped calls, echos, and static of AT&T are really making me nuts.

dix1900

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
I wonder sometimes about people who argue that Apple needs competition in order to innovate. I also wonder about the people who bemoan the iPhone for it's incremental advances over the last 3 years (to an extent they bemoan the incremental advances of all Apple products).

It should be apparent that Apple makes choices in their designs for products based on a number of reasons. A) design limitations. To reach a design they like and want to pursue means the path the products takes right away is xyz. B) technology limitations. To bring a product to market they accept any technological limitations or don't bring it to market until they want (ex iPhone battery life or future apple tablet). C) intentional product evolution. Apple decided which features are activated in which iteration of the product. Ex camera for nano, cut copy paste for iPhone. D) lastly and most importantly is the natural evolution of a product. Ex camera for nano, aluminum unibody MacBooks.
You see those people who complain about the lack of features or want competition to spur development because they feel the iPhone hasn't advanced enough are living in Harry Potter land. Apple doesn't have a cyrstal ball to conjur up the final, last, best fully featured version of the iPhone and proceed to copy it from the magical crystal ball. Lest they actually use that cyrstal ball and voilà we have iPhone 10.0 so everyone buys one and the world ends because there is nothing more to be learned, built, thought, created, enjoyed.
Do I make my point? Apple will innovate when they need to, they allow natural product evolution so we continue to buy new shinys, and they make difficult decisions to release a product or not based on the limits of technology.
Competition or not we might all still be paging people if someone somewhere hadn't started the product evolution for the world.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Whatever their plans were for the itouch is moot at this point. Promoting that angle as you put it is going after that market. I read somewhere hear they may be looking for in house game development? Why would they need to mention MS, Sony or Nintendo? What I see on tv add now is itouch playing games in someone hands. What is different in that then a DS or PSP being advertised?

You're missing the point. Apple is not competing against Nintendo or Sony directly. Just because they are entering a market (unintentionally) doesn't mean they changed their product cycle because of it. You want to see Apple go after a company? Look at the Mac vs PC ads. Even then they don't bother to compete with MS & whoever on stats. Rumors are going around that they have rejected Intel's Arrandale platform (at least with the integrated graphics) and are waiting for Sandy Bridge.

Apple's main goal has always been to make the best products they can. LOL, after all these years they, oddly enough, decide to put an FM radio inside the iPod.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I dont know if this has been pointed out yet... but

that picture is NOT the google phone.

That's the HTC Passion. According to the wall street journal HTC is making a new handset - the "Nexus One" which will be the google phone.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703757404574592530591075444.html?mg=com-wsj

And yeah - this thing is going to kick ass. Hopefully the first true neck-and-neck competitor for the iPhone.

The Google phone is supposed to be a variant of the Passion except better looking. Apparently it will have a little scroll ball so they can copy both Apple and BB at the same time.

dave1812dave

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
If it doesn't come to Verizon, it may as well not exist, as far as I'm concerned. The best network in the US gets the dregs when it comes to phones. C'mon Verizon, play ball with the manufacturers, you bozos!!!

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I'm not sure how good pure VOIP will be. ATT doesn't get the best reception, and Verizon and Sprint have tons of customers.

I think VOIP is the way of the future, but until coverage is more consistent, I am not sure how successful it will be.

I think you need to stop looking through USA blinkers.

Elsewhere in the world we've great 3G coverage and some carriers already offer calls over 3G VOIP only already. For instance, here in the UK, Three offer lifetime free Skype calls. You don't even need a contract with them. Just buy a pay-as-you-go SIM and you don't even need credit on it.

I use VOIP over 3G often. My Nokia E71 switches between 3G and WiFi automatically. SIP is built in to the OS.

It's good if Google are doing their own phone but it's not like Apple won't have plenty of competition next year with phones like Sony Ericsson's XPERIA X10 Android phone (854x480 4" screen, 1Ghz CPU, 8.1mp camera) and Nokia's X series. The 3GS hardware is looking lame by comparison.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
Ive been using an iPhone since a month after the first one came out and I recently gave it to my girl and picked myself up a HTC Eris and I have to say there is a lot I like about it and just a few things I dont care that much for.

Im excited about the google phone and thanks to the holiday return period being extended Im waiting a bit to see if I can get one of these because my experience with the Eris has been fairly good.

I use google voice for all my texting and all my calling so the possible integration with this device and maybe even the Gizmo purchase intrigues me. The possibility of a phone unlocked that maybe has just a data plan and no minute plan seems interesting as well. I know I've got until January 15 for my return period so Im really hoping to see some official dates soon so that I can make my decision. Ive already pretty much decided Im not going back to the iPhone at least until they are sold unlocked and integrated well with Google voice which may never happen.

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
I dont know if this has been pointed out yet... but that picture is NOT exactly the google phone.

That's the HTC Passion. According to the wall street journal HTC is making a new handset - the "Nexus One" which will be the google phone.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703757404574592530591075444.html?mg=com-wsj

And yeah - this thing is going to kick ass. Hopefully the first true neck-and-neck competitor for the iPhone.

I'm not convinced HTC are the source of the new Google phone rumour.

The Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 Android phone due next February has a UI named 'Nexus' and was code named 'Rachael' prior to it's official name. 'Nexus' being the series of replicants/androids in Blade Runner and Rachael being the name of one of the replicants.

Daringfireball has been reporting Android phones accessing the site with a 'Nexus One' user agent already and spinning it as the Google phone when it seems more likely to me at least it's an X10.

The X10 also looks a gazillion times more sexy than anything HTC is likely to come out with too.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10-announced-we-go-hands-on/

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
You obviously didn't read the entire article: "The phone will be produced by a major phone manufacturer but will only have Google branding (Microsoft did the same thing with their first Zunes, which were built by Toshiba)."

Same thing with the iphone. Apple doesn't make it, Foxconn does. Sure, Apple designed it, but they don't build them.

What will Google put on the back of the phone? The back of my iPhone says "Designed by Apple in california. Assembled in China."

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
I dont know if this has been pointed out yet... but that picture is NOT exactly the google phone.

The real google phone looks identical to this picture...

realgenius

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
You obviously didn't read the entire article: "The phone will be produced by a major phone manufacturer but will only have Google branding (Microsoft did the same thing with their first Zunes, which were built by Toshiba)."

Yeah, except the HTC is clearly visible on the front of the phone. So much for Google only branding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.