Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Originally posted by invaLPsion
The Worst Case Scencerio is that you will be damning your very existence for being so stupid and missing out on getting a machine anywhere from 400 MHz to maybe even 800 MHz at the same price! If it were me I'd have buyer's remorse for months!

Well, with the Mac or PC market, I think that's the worst thing to do. Once you buy, be satisfied, because no matter whether it's 8 months (like the powerbook update rumors from Feb - September) or 8 days later, you've still got a hell of a machine.

I bought my G4 Powermac Dual 1.25 just before the G5s came out. I knew they were coming. I don't care. For what I need, this machine is great for me. In any case, I couldn't afford a G5 except the 1.6, and I would honestly rather have my machine then the low end 1st release.

I know some people think that's crazy, but it actually was a beter buy for my money at the time (for my purposes).

Now if I had an extra $1000.... ;), but then I'd start playing the same evil game that I speak against!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by encro
The new G5 release is out of date anyway. Apple is already working on the next best thing. ;)

this is probably one statement that you see all the time, yet so annoying.

Of course you're right, but no matter what you buy, there will always be 'the next best thing'.

Buying a machine does require timing, but you can't delay indefinitely if you actually need to get work done.

When milestones come along, like MWSF, WWDC, and the 20th Anniversary of the Mac tomorrow, its silly not to wait. Actually, even the Superbowl this year would be a milestone - Feb 2nd could see some new stuff.

Every time new hardware comes out - major releases - there are members who post who are pissed that they 'just bought 'a new machine and a couple weeks later something oh so better came along and they're screwed.

Why even bother having to worry about this? Be patient and pay attention to the rumors and you have less a chance of having to post a 'I'm pissed' thread....:rolleyes:

D

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Originally posted by Mr.kr
So I'm traveling 3 hours to Germantown, TN this Sunday to the closet Apple store to make my final decision on iBook or Powerbook. Then I'll wait until early Feburary to make the order.

Hmmm, I never realised Apple stores were so accomodating, what's the B&B room rate there for a three week stay? ;)
Vanilla

MacEyeDoc

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2002
Re: OK Apple - you have 2 weeks!

Originally posted by maclamb
I have finally saved enough $ to get a DP 1.8 + IPod.
I'm just about to order - but will wait 2 weeks - if qpple doesn't release anythign by then, I'll "dance witht he one what brung me" - as we used to say.
Why wait - well, if I can get a DP 2.0 or DP 2.4 for the same $ I'm willing to wait 2 weeks - but not more - life goes on.
This will be a BTO (Bluetooth, Combo, 9600), so I can't return it once purchased...
Anyone else?

I'm right there with you maclamb - I've been expecting a PM upgrade since before Christmas, and been patiently waiting, but how long is it gonna be? I also think it's strange how quiet the rumor community is about any 20th Anniversary Apple products. But as others have said, after about Feb. 2, there will not be alot of reason left to wait further. Good luck with your finger on that button - I think I'm at DEFCON Level 5 right now!

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
Re: Re: OK Apple - you have 2 weeks!

Originally posted by MacEyeDoc
I'm right there with you maclamb - I've been expecting a PM upgrade since before Christmas, and been patiently waiting, but how long is it gonna be? I also think it's strange how quiet the rumor community is about any 20th Anniversary Apple products. But as others have said, after about Feb. 2, there will not be alot of reason left to wait further. Good luck with your finger on that button - I think I'm at DEFCON Level 5 right now!

Understood - have to hit the button sometime.
I've actaully reassessed finances (or my wife has) and I am going with the 1.6 Combo, BT, 9600 + Ipod 20 - use my educ discount & save my ADC discount for some monster system (G5 DP PB?!) later.
'Course, if a SP 2.0 is released in the next two weeks then I'll go for that - hence the waiting - but if not, fine.
While a DP is much better, it's also a Lot more than I need/use and the $ is a big stretch and maybe not such a good use of my ADC discount. This way I get a nice, fast machine for the simple stuff I do and save $ - towards a new Ibook G4, ram, chair, iPod accessories or whatever...maybe even buy some apple stock -

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
You've set the date, you know what you want, wait two weeks then pull the trigger. Waiting is awful, and even if there's a small processor upgrade, there will probably be more demand and there will be more waiting due to shipping delays.

crossed-over

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2002
Indy
Oh, I would wait as long as I had to until Apple releases the latest machines. There is little worse than regret, and as my father always says, "If you're going to spend that kind of money, you should make sure you get what you want."

Don't settle man. Yeah, you could save a few bucks here and there for other little piddly things, but look at the upside if you wait it out and get the big horse! You will always know that you had the big daddy of it's time, and it will take longer before it is obsolete. Not to mention the fact that the next g5's will be the first revision, with all that encompasses a first revision of a new product.

Yeah maybe you don't need all that power, but you're not just buying a computer... you're buying a mac, and macs have personality. It's up to you to decide which personality you let into your home/office/life.

Either way, happy shopping and let us know the final verdict!

tiktokfx

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2003
DC Metropolitan Area
Waiting is silly. Waiting for unannounced products is sillier. Waiting for unannounced products based on rumors is silliest.

Witnes the "Just you see, in two weeks mini iPods will be $149!" prognosticators.

Buy what you want that's available, never plan to buy products that DO NOT EXIST yet.

On a side note, I don't understand why people keep giving the 12" PB a bad rap. I just bought one and love it to death. It's by no means a bad value.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
The new G5s are already in the Xserves, so it's not like they don't exist. Apple just need to put them in the powermacs witch should be very soon as the powermacs shouldn't be slower than the xserves.
I would wait till the powermacs are updated, no matter how long the wait is. (I think it'll be very short tho. :) )

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Originally posted by sparks9
The new G5s are already in the Xserves, so it's not like they don't exist. Apple just need to put them in the powermacs witch should be very soon as the powermacs shouldn't be slower than the xserves.
I would wait till the powermacs are updated, no matter how long the wait is. (I think it'll be very short tho. :) )

Tomorrow? Or maybe Monday or Tuesday? Let's hope.:eek:

bburchill

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Good point solvs...just give it 'till the superbowl, and if nothing happens by then, just grab your balls and jump on a refurbished 1.6 that you can sell later.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
OK, so Monday the 26th I wnet ahead and ordered the DP 1.8 - Here's my reasoning:
1. I have a limited budget and using my ADC discount I can spend $1900 and get it BTO (9600, no modem, Combo) and have it by the 2nd
2. My discount only applies to items LISTED on the Apple Store page - so If I waited and they came out with upgrades and they were out of my price point I'm screwed - I can't go back and say - "uh I still want the DP 1.8" - b/c it's no longer offered for that discount
3. If they release something new today I can still cancel the order and re-order if it's in my price point
4. If they release something next week or whatever - well I guess I'm "screwed" and will have to "suffer" witha machin ethat is already way more than I really need - I could have gotten by withthe 1.6. Then, I can sell it on Ebay in a year and probably get enough plus some $ to get whatever is new in a year- if I really need to.

It seemed like a bird int he hand sort of thing. I would really hate to nothave ordered and then seen my machine dissapear and be satisfied with SP instead. -
But, i could see that if you're buying at street price you have to wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.