Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christian 5G

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Orange County, CA
Hello,

When (if) next month new MacBook Pro get announced I'm wondering if there's going to be a limit for how many you can buy?

I've never preordered MacBook's on launch day, and wondering about this.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm wondering if there's going to be a limit for how many you can buy?

No, I don't believe Apple ever limited the purchase of their laptops, I guess if you want to buy lots and lots of laptops, Apple will gladly take your money.

Reactions: mrex

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
No, I don't believe Apple ever limited the purchase of their laptops, I guess if you want to buy lots and lots of laptops, Apple will gladly take your money.

basically. these aren't phones where there is a strong scalper market to meet a strong demand the first couple weeks. People for some odd reason want the phone to the point they will pay extra.

MBP....is not an off the shelf in seconds seller really. And not a wise scalper move really. Sell it for whats it worth as no person in their right mind would spend 100 over market value here. Insert bitter user comment that of late its barely worth the price apple gives it lol.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I never understood the fascination with being the first to have a device. Look at the Note 7 users. Also, we all remember AntennaGate, BendGate, screen delamination on rMBPs, etc. I prefer to let someone else spend their money first to beta test a new Apple product.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I never understood the fascination with being the first to have a device. Look at the Note 7 users. Also, we all remember AntennaGate, BendGate, screen delamination on rMBPs, etc. I prefer to let someone else spend their money first to beta test a new Apple product.

It's always wise to wait for the second iteration of computer hardware anyway. The second tends to iron out all the kinks and issues that plagued the first version.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
It's always wise to wait for the second iteration of computer hardware anyway. The second tends to iron out all the kinks and issues that plagued the first version.

I agree. And if they ship a 15 inch rMBP in October it will soon be out of date processor-wise with the high-powered Kaby Lake chips appearing next Spring.

Reactions: puckhead193

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I agree. And if they ship a 15 inch rMBP in October it will soon be out of date processor-wise with the high-powered Kaby Lake chips appearing next Spring.

Kaby lake processors are pretty much the same as skylake same architecture and size, the graphics are slightly boosted and they have some built in thunderbolt 3 compatibility but they really are just a rebadged skylake.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

At this point I would just wait for Canonlake TBH if I was Apple.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
At this point I would just wait for Canonlake TBH if I was Apple.
That would be foolish on there part, MBP sales have plummeted, people just don't want to spend over 2k on a laptops where some of them are still on Haswell

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
That would be foolish on there part, MBP sales have plummeted, people just don't want to spend over 2k on a laptops where some of them are still on Haswell

Skylake is already old and Canonlake is coming out in 2017. For the 15 I could see kaby lake but for 13 you're better off with Canonlake at this point since it is currently using 5th gen broadwell. Also these upgrades are minor and waiting for the newest isn't a terrible idea... Haswell isn't "bad" because it's old

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Canonlake is coming out in 2017.
Do you trust Intel in making those dates? They've shown an inability to ship their processors out and I think that's the current Apple fell into. Intel delayed Broadwell, Skylake and inserted Kaby Lake. If they keep waiting, there will always be a faster processor coming out from intel

Reactions: ocgirl

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Do you trust Intel in making those dates? They've shown an inability to ship their processors out and I think that's the current Apple fell into. Intel delayed Broadwell, Skylake and inserted Kaby Lake. If they keep waiting, there will always be a faster processor coming out from intel

Trust them enough to not bother with skylake and wait a few more months for kaby lake at least.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Trust them enough to not bother with skylake and wait a few more months for kaby lake at least.
I couldn't wait any longer, I'm on a Skylake laptop right now. I picked up a SurfaceBook and it's been good.

That's the issue, people here have been waiting and waiting :(

Reactions: jerryk

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
For the 15" the wait will not be just a few months. More likely Late spring or summer 2017 with the high performance quad-core processors are available.

Still not worth using skylake.... The performance bump from Haswell to skylake isn't OMG I must have it.... In reality it's not huge. Waiting until summer is doable..... Not like going from a core 2 duo to a 5th gen cpu....

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I couldn't wait any longer, I'm on a Skylake laptop right now. I picked up a SurfaceBook and it's been good.

That's the issue, people here have been waiting and waiting :(

I have a broadwell Macbook Pro and the HP spectre which has an Intel i7-6500U which is skylake and ignoring the bigger cache with the i7 vs the i5 real time performance is the same..... Don't have any issues using either.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a broadwell Macbook Pro and the HP spectre which has an Intel i7-6500U which is skylake and ignoring the bigger cache with the i7 vs the i5 real time performance is the same..... Don't have any issues using either.
I'm very happy with the SB, Windows has been great, and the SB is a wonderful machine. The fit and finish definitely remind me of Apple in terms of quality.

That's the issue I see right now, Apple's competitors have caught up and are producing some really nice products, Apple can no longer just rest on their laurels

I've been using the SB while on a business trip and its been really great. I've watched movies (in my hotel room), taken notes, remoted into the office, running office apps, I'm not saying the latest Mac can't do that, but I'd rather spend 1,000 on a laptop that is Skylake, touchscreen, removeable screen, then a Broadwell based MBP - YMMV but I found value in the SurfaceBook, and so far I'm not finding value in Apple's line up. That will change once (I hope), once they roll out the updates

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I'm very happy with the SB, Windows has been great, and the SB is a wonderful machine. The fit and finish definitely remind me of Apple in terms of quality.

That's the issue I see right now, Apple's competitors have caught up and are producing some really nice products, Apple can no longer just rest on their laurels

I've been using the SB while on a business trip and its been really great. I've watched movies (in my hotel room), taken notes, remoted into the office, running office apps, I'm not saying the latest Mac can't do that, but I'd rather spend 1,000 on a laptop that is Skylake, touchscreen, removeable screen, then a Broadwell based MBP - YMMV but I found value in the SurfaceBook, and so far I'm not finding value in Apple's line up. That will change once (I hope), once they roll out the updates

Lol? You're almost sounding like an Intel shill.... Broadwell real life performance with a skylake counterpart you won't notice a difference. All you get is bragging rights you have a 6th gen cpu to my 5th gen cpu. I have no love for Apple and of anything I prefer windows and always will. That being said I have a Macbook Pro because battery life is the best and has the power to go with it. The HP spectre doesn't last as long as I want.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Still not worth using skylake.... The performance bump from Haswell to skylake isn't OMG I must have it.... In reality it's not huge. Waiting until summer is doable..... Not like going from a core 2 duo to a 5th gen cpu....

Kabylake is just a rebadged skylake with minor GPU upgrades and built in TB3. It will make no difference wether Apple wait for it or not in terms of performance.

Of course in terms of keeping their whinging customers happy they needed to release something 6months ago because God forbid that they don't pointlessly release something every year wether it will make any difference or not.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lol? You're almost sounding like an Intel shill
Really? I'm happy with my machine, I'm spending a lot of money and I'd rather get current technology then older, but that's me, and if that means I sound like a shill, so be it.

All you get is bragging rights you have a 6th gen cpu to my 5th gen cpu.
Perhaps, but it seems so many people here at MR want those bragging rights - just look at the waiting for Skylake thread, its huge and people have been anxious for Skylake. By the same token, folks who downplay Skylake sound like they're justifying Apple's decision not to upgrade their machines.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Really? I'm happy with my machine, I'm spending a lot of money and I'd rather get current technology then older, but that's me, and if that means I sound like a shill, so be it.

Perhaps, but it seems so many people here at MR want those bragging rights - just look at the waiting for Skylake thread, its huge and people have been anxious for Skylake. By the same token, folks who downplay Skylake sound like they're justifying Apple's decision not to upgrade their machines.

Because people want the latest thing but guess what about 95% of those people clamoring for skylake won't notice a difference in their everyday lives between Haswell and skylake and even more so with broadwell. If you're the few who use their devices for editing and etc you will but the average Joe? No they won't. At this point of time I would wait to add in a kaby lake cpu in the 13 and perhaps a skylake in the 15 inch ( though I would wait for kaby lake)

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Kabylake is just a rebadged skylake with minor GPU upgrades and built in TB3. It will make no difference wether Apple wait for it or not in terms of performance.

Of course in terms of keeping their whinging customers happy they needed to release something 6months ago because God forbid that they don't pointlessly release something every year wether it will make any difference or not.

Yes but kaby lake is new so we must not get outdated equipment I'm my new Macbook's! I would honestly wait for Canonlake TBH. Intel has moved beyond the tic tock method and now is just optimizing after every die shrink. If we have waited basically a year and a half on an upgrade no harm in waiting 2 years and a quarter for Canonlake?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Yes but kaby lake is new so we must not get outdated equipment I'm my new Macbook's! I would honestly wait for Canonlake TBH. Intel has moved beyond the tic tock method and now is just optimizing after every die shrink. If we have waited basically a year and a half on an upgrade no harm in waiting 2 years and a quarter for Canonlake?

Not all of us are upgrading from Haswell machines. It's been too long and Apple needs to release something now. There will always be something new around the corner, and exactly when that will be has become increasingly unreliable.

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.