Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This is good, but i'm wondering how they got approval from Microsoft for this ?

Perhaps for marketing reasons - this is a way of getting iPad and other tablet users used to 'windows' on a tablet form.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I would never have ANY reason to use Windows 7 on a tablet or a real machine, but this sounds awesome for people who have one! Now if only they would make an OS X emulator...

----------

Instead, just use Office on a 7-inch MacBook Air once Apple releases it. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

Doubt that will ever happen. 11 inch already seems to small sometimes to me!

thankins

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007

Perhaps for marketing reasons - this is a way of getting iPad and other tablet users used to 'windows' on a tablet form.

Probably just purchased some volume licenses for Office 2010.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
When?

When will it be released? I don't know that I'd use it that much, but this will still be pretty sweet to have. I wish they would do this with OS X and I would love it. Until then, logmein.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
How about the game version?

It was submitted to Apple back in December and still has not been approved? If Apple won't approve that, I'm not so sure they will approve this either. I'm still waiting for the game version, it has been out on Android for a month now.

Renzatic

Suspended
Any chance they can do something more enjoyable... Like OS-X Lion? Besides using a VNC client :p

Doubt it. Apple is incredibly tight about their platform, and won't even let anyone use OSX in a VM unless it's running on OSX (which kind of defeats the purpose of using it in a VM in the first place). If anyone were to try it, they'd end up being sued out of existence.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
Which means that in today's world of pervasive broadband connectivity, Windows applications running on an iPad could potentially be faster than those running on a standard Windows 7 laptop.

So how fast would that broadband connection need to be, to be faster than a laptop?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
battery life of an hour? and whats the point, theres a reason why an OS should be optimised for an tablet. dragging a folder from the desktop would already drive me crazy without a real mouse

SKTHEPREZ

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2012
570, PA
My thoughts...

I feel as if Office on iPad is a great idea, Microsoft Office is the only thing that is a plus that originated through Windows op system. Word, Powerpoint, and Excel are priceless tools, as well as many other features that I don't use so I won't really name/praise. I do however feel that making your iPad replicate a Windows desktop is however ABUSE to your Apple product (semi LOL). Why would you want to put something as dry and tasteless as that? Just my thoughts... :apple::apple::apple::apple:

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
I know some Windows users who use it on a Mac - they say it's the best Windows computer they've ever used... :eek:

Looks like the iPad will be the best Windows Tablet out there... ;)

:D

Windows 7 is horrible on any tablet. That is why Windows 7 tablets fail.

madtowndoc

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2005
I think this is only the start of a revolution in the way we use computers, that I've been waiting for a long time, but unfortunately had no way to be involved in. Rather than buying your own computer, being limited to the technology at that time until you buy a new one several years later, having to worry about needing repairs, keeping viruses out, buying new software that you may or may not use regularly and have to pay to upgrade down the road, you can pay a monthly fee to rent out your share of a server bank, and the company that owns it will take care of all of these issues for you. When new technology is available, the servers will gradually be upgraded, and you there may be options to pay a higher rate for greater processor/graphics power, etc. They will keep the servers virus-free and perform repairs as needed. They will store all of your data, which you can also store locally as needed, and you will have access to your data any time, anywhere in the world, from any device capable of interfacing with the servers. Since the processing power occurs on the server end, you have full capability on any device. You can use any software you need, and pay for it either on a short or long term basis at a (hopefully) reasonable rate. As long as the latency is low enough, there are few programs/tasks that would not run very well this way. If OnLive plays it cards right, and can get sufficient backing, it will make a fortune. I just wonder how far along other companies like Apple are in seeing that this is the future and getting themselves in position.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
You have to keep in mind that Microsoft is an Enterprise company first, consumer second. (Apple is the opposite)

There'll be an agreement, nonstandard, somewhere.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Because Windows in our anti-Windows haven is just what we want.

----------

You have to keep in mind that Microsoft is an Enterprise company first, consumer second. (Apple is the opposite)

There'll be an agreement, nonstandard, somewhere.

All they provide is a stream to a Windows machine. Do they even need an agreement for that?

----------

it sounds cool and all, but somehow i think native apps are better. but i guess eventually everything will be in the 'cloud'

Actually, the cloud isn't the future really. Apple realizes that hard drive space is increasing while bandwidth is being used by more and more people and being upgraded infrequently. That's why iCloud only stores lightweight files, not your music library (like Google Music beta).

----------

Who cares about office! There's a whole OS "running on" the iPad! Get me OS X on there and that will make everyone happy.

You can already do that with a VNC app and a Mac. There's a reason I don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.