Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
This is good, but i'm wondering how they got approval from Microsoft for this ?

Perhaps for marketing reasons - this is a way of getting iPad and other tablet users used to 'windows' on a tablet form.

This is Microsoft, not Apple. You don't need their approval, you just buy the required licenses from them and you're good to go. And yes, they do license this form of usage. They always have.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
I love Macintosh Computers Made By Apple. :thimb:

I love being able to spell and proofread.

Now Windows 7 has a shot at becoming popular.
Dumbest comment of the thread so far.

Windows 7 is probably the second most popular Windows OS. XP was still top at 46.5% share of Windows desktops as of December.

I agree, however THIS is not a port, it's a virtualization.
No, it's a remote desktop session. Virtualization is what you do with Fusion.

This how their gaming service works, too. The power of your local machine is of little consequence because all you machine is doing is displaying images over an internet connection and relaying your keyboard/mouse actions to the real computer running the game in the data center.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Would flash streaming work?

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
This looks brilliant, for those of us who only occasionally need to use Windows. I hope it works with Internet Explorer too. (I'd gladly pay for an app like this that lets me test multiple versions of IE.)

… as I gradually moved from MAC to PC, my parallels installation is used less and and less now. Basically I mostly use it now to access Explorer only websites and old legacy software.

Did you mean 'from PC to Mac'?

camsoft

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
Brighton, Sussex, UK.
I actually predicted this 6 months ago. It was a logical next step for OnLive. I think their company name was a giveaway. Their brand does not mention gaming at all.

Their USP is not gaming, it's their remote/streaming and backend technology which is superior to the competition.

This is great news for OnLive and will be very useful. I expect this to be the first of many services OnLive will produce.

juliocoutinho

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
This looks brilliant, for those of us who only occasionally need to use Windows. I hope it works with Internet Explorer too. (I'd gladly pay for an app like this that lets me test multiple versions of IE.)

Did you mean 'from PC to Mac'?

Ooops! Yes! That's What I meant. From PC to MAC. Sorry for the mistake.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
This is Microsoft, not Apple. You don't need their approval, you just buy the required licenses from them and you're good to go. And yes, they do license this form of usage. They always have.

The same way we use to do it 8 years ago, by buying a Windows server license and the appropriate number of per-user CALs.

Probably just purchased some volume licenses for Office 2010.

But they are going have to have volume licenses for Windows 7 and Office 2010 which isn't going to be cheap. Host them on their servers, again not cheap and then offer users a FREE APP ? Just seems strange for any business to incur a lot of costs and then offer their wares for free ?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
But they are going have to have volume licenses for Windows 7 and Office 2010 which isn't going to be cheap. Host them on their servers, again not cheap and then offer users a FREE APP ? Just seems strange for any business to incur a lot of costs and then offer their wares for free ?

What makes you think OnLive is free ?

Microsoft offers Volume Licensing. That's probably how they do it, a site volume license for Windows 7, they just spawn a VM each time a customer subscribes to the service for a monthly fee. The mass of monthly fees just pays for the volume license (which is a fixed cost).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What makes you think OnLive is free ?

Microsoft offers Volume Licensing. That's probably how they do it, a site volume license for Windows 7, they just spawn a VM each time a customer subscribes to the service for a monthly fee. The mass of monthly fees just pays for the volume license (which is a fixed cost).

To quote the article

Video game streaming company OnLive has announced a free, streaming, virtual Microsoft Windows 7 desktop app for the iPad.

Does that say it ?

Admittedly you could also argue the app is free but will be subscription based, but the article makes no mention of it.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
To quote the article

Does that say it ?

Admittedly you could also argue the app is free but will be subscription based, but the article makes no mention of it.

Well, their service certainly is subscription based for games.

From a PC World article, it's a bit more clear :

As mentioned above, the free service operates on an “as-available” basis, using left over capacity from OnLive’s substantial remote gaming infrastructure. For businesses, where as-available doesn’t cut it, and 2GB is too little storage, a subscription service called OnLive Desktop Pro will be available soon for $9.99 per month.

Basically, they have a fixed capacity at a given time for a free service as a gateway to trying to sell into a business subscription based service. They're eating the cost, using existing capacity (they already need to run these Windows licenses for their games business, so they probably have some over capacity on those) as a marketing opportunity to upsell into a paid service.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well, their service certainly is subscription based for games.

From a PC World article, it's a bit more clear :

Basically, they have a fixed capacity at a given time for a free service as a gateway to trying to sell into a business subscription based service. They're eating the cost, using existing capacity (they already need to run these Windows licenses for their games business, so they probably have some over capacity on those) as a marketing opportunity to upsell into a paid service.

See that makes more sense now. I knew the article couldn't have painted the entire picture properly. :)

R0bert

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2005
This is the end of the client.

Quad-core A5 chip or advanced 3D graphics dosen't matter when
the applications run in the cloud.

It dosen't work offline though..

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

R0bert said:

Complete cloud based phones are a while off. Any companies offer cheap unlimited 4g browsing with full world coverage? And think of the battery usage aswell

Aftershocker

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
Ive been doing something similar using the spashtop remote desktop app to connect to home and work machines. Works really well.

TCorp

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
OnLive is like a hook that allows you to connect your horse carriage to your car.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Splashtop does this already and works great. I couldn't live without it. I am a tech guy and I use it on all my kids laptops to support them as well as check in on what they are doing. My kids are 6, 8 and 11. I tell my 11 year old that I can see everything she does and did on the laptop and if she clears the history ever then she will loose the laptop. With so many predators online you really have to watch your kids. But you can’t keep them in a cocoon either.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is this just a tech demo of something that's merely possible or a solution looking for a problem? Short of running the most popular Windows apps "natively" via server, what's the point? There's MS Office for Mac OS (granted, no MS Access in there & that's always been a killer missing tool for Mac acceptance in businesses).

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
In my own experience, for instance, as I gradually moved from MAC to PC...

and one of these days you'll realize Mac isn't capitalized as it doesn't stand for anything, unless you're referring to a Media Access Control address, which you aren't.

----------

thats exactly what it means. without a doubt or question about it. you won't be using their clusters w/o a subscription.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is this just a tech demo of something that's merely possible or a solution looking for a problem? Short of running the most popular Windows apps "natively" via server, what's the point? There's MS Office for Mac OS (granted, no MS Access in there & that's always been a killer missing tool for Mac acceptance in businesses).

Think harder.

FreeRange1

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
MSFT tablet now totally irrelevant...

Now you get two, yes two for the price of one! Why in the world would you buy MSFT OS running crap when you get the integration through the iPad, along with the Apple ecosystem! This is a no brainer. Problem is that their are a lot of Windows users that fit that description...

----------

Would flash streaming work?

For the sake of humanity lets hope not!

Renzatic

Suspended
For the sake of humanity lets hope not!

Actually, that'd be the best way to get Flash on an iPad. You have another machine doing all the work. Depending on how efficient the OnLive client is, you'd only drain your battery about as much as streaming a movie over iTunes.

I love being able to spell and proofread.

I love having a fully functional sarcasm detector.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Well, think about it - OnLive streamed Windows 8 on your iPad.

Unless you play games or whatnot, there might not be a need for a Windows 8 tablet - just tap the OnLive Desktop app icon! ;)

Part from the obvious fact that you'd be in constant need of connectivity, sure.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

Meaning it its not the end of the client...

the client isn't going anywhere but everywhere. ubiquity is the future, not mainframe computing. we've known that for over 3 decades now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.