Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Disappointing if true because this would force me to spend $100 more dollars than I wanted to on a phone size I didn't plan on getting. Photo quality on a phone is very important to me #

#

:confused:Then that means you should be willing to the pay the price, or else it really isn't that important to you.:rolleyes:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
But why the compromise? With the iPad Air and mini Apple was basically saying the only choice you have to make is screen size. Sure the mini display doesn't have the same color gamut as the Air but aside from that the two devices are identical and it's something that Apple never mentioned (and a fair number of people probably wouldn't even notice). If the "iPhablet" gets a better camera that includes OIS it will won't be just a screen size choice. People will be forced to make a trade off that they shouldn't have to make.

Why the compromise? Seriously, I know you are one of the few adults around here. Surely you understand and don't dispute life is a series of mostly difficult or awkward choices and compromises. Very little is dot-to-dot easy. I know you know that so I'm surprised you ask this question.

Let's assume this rumor is true. I can't say why Apple would put OIS in the larger version and not the smaller, but I bet it's either technical or OIS in the 4.7" while maintaining the $199 price point AND it's expected margins isn't feasible.

As I noted in an earlier post, I really don't think most people are going to choose phone sized based on which has the better camera. That has NEVER been the rally cry around here at least, i.e., "I don't know why Apple doesn't make an iPhone with a better camera." No, the iPhone camera is generally regarded as one of the best, if not the best, among smartphones. What has had so many rankled around here was the lack of a Galaxy or Note sized phone. So, size, not camera, is going to be the chief decider for most buyers.

----------

As I said, any "regular" company would do this. But I guess I expect more from Apple.

That expectation then is unreasonable. Apple has a history of literally gouging customers for CTO options, charging 2-3x retail prices for HD, SSDs, RAM. Every iPhone and iPad ever made has had a $100 difference between the RAM, again, well above even retail prices.

So I'm not sure where you got this idea Apple was like a CO-OP and sought to keep prices reasonable for it's loyal customers. That's not Apple's MO at all. You are living in some kind of fairytale world.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I don't believe this rumor. I'd be truly disappointed if Apple gave the 5.5" model better specs. I'm not interested in a giant phone but I do like having the top of the line model. Screen size should be the only differentiating factor.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Don't think so.
iPad Air and mini are the same thing besides the screen size, and I'm pretty sure this will be the same in iPhones. There I said it, if it turns out to be correct, pay me 30k a month to be an analyst.

Wrong. The Air runs at a slightly higher clock speed. Oh, and much better colo(u)r gamut.

Last edited:

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
This sucks. I always buy the premium model, but in this case I didn't think of the 5.5 as a premium model, just a bigger size. I'll pay a premium price for the 4.7", just give me all the features.

Fck it, apple should just make the ipad Air the premium phone and stop developing any others because obviously we've stooped to android mentality where bigger is better.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't believe this rumor. I'd be truly disappointed if Apple gave the 5.5" model better specs. I'm not interested in a giant phone but I do like having the top of the line model. Screen size should be the only differentiating factor.

Ah, but you see the folly in your seeking only for status: even if the 4.7" had identical specs the 5.5" would still be the top-of-the-line w/ it's $100 extra price tag. A bigger screen is a feature. It may be one you don't personally care for but it is a key selling feature.

I'm not sure why you don't believe it. It may not be true, but it does pass the "smell test." It has logical roots... bigger phone footprint has more room for OIS; more expensive price point so easier to absorb the cost w/o pinching margins.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
so until now we know that the 4.7" will not have optical image stabilisation and no sapphire glass...keep on going apple this way and a lot of customers will not join from android or from iPhone 5s

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
:confused:Then that means you should be willing to the pay the price, or else it really isn't that important to you.:rolleyes:

I don't want a 5.5" phone, nor could i use one. The 4.7" size is ideal for me, and i love using the iPhone camera, for actually printing photos and framing them, but i'm not willing to have someone force me to buy something i don't want or can't use.

Not everyone should be forced into something they don't need, that's the problem with these forums, most assume that the general public and others 'want' a bigger screen, 'want' this and 'want' that, when it's down to personal choice, and not what people think they want, just because that person 'wants' something in particular.

Everyone is different, has different tastes, needs, lifestyles and 'wants'. If we were all the same, it would be a real boring and ****** world.

Narg

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
I bet it's backwards...

I'd wager more that the scenario is more like: The 4.7 will have the good OIS and the 5.5 will not. This will keep the larger screen version cheaper, so it's not terribly more expensive than the smaller version. The 5" plus market is very competitive on price. Under 5" it's not so competitive on price yet.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
so i take it apple won't be putting a major 13mp like most of these phones carry at the moment.

You do realize that even professional DSLR's have trouble creating more than 7-11 megapixels of resolution right?

All of the so-called 13+ megapixel cameras you mention are complete nonsense that is designed for marketing purposes and it is a huge waste of storage space.

There is literally no difference whatsoever in resolution between a 13 megapixel image taken with a 6 megapixel lens, and an 8 megapixel image taken with a 6 megapixel lens.

It's like playing a VHS on a 4k monitor, you will never get more data (There is some advantage to oversampling like clearer colors which is why you want ideally around 20% more pixels on your sensor than you can resolve, but these companies are making cameras that have 100% more resolution than their lenses, which is nonsense).

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I don't want a 5.5" phone, nor could i use one. The 4.7" size is ideal for me, and i love using the iPhone camera, for actually printing photos and framing them, but i'm not willing to have someone force me to buy something i don't want or can't use.

Not everyone should be forced into something they don't need, that's the problem with these forums, most assume that the general public and others 'want' a bigger screen, 'want' this and 'want' that, when it's down to personal choice, and not what people think they want, just because that person 'wants' something in particular.

Everyone is different, has different tastes, needs, lifestyles and 'wants'. If we were all the same, it would be a real boring and ****** world.

Then I suppose your "needs" to be re-evaluated and stop getting your panties in a bunch. The screen size is more important to you than the camera, obviously.

Honestly, if you love using the iPhone camera now, what difference does it make it the 4.7" doesn't have OIS? Just because it doesn't have OIS, you suddenly won't like the same camera system you've been loving all these years? :rolleyes:

No one is forcing you to buy something you can't use.

----------

You do realize that even professional DSLR's have trouble creating more than 7-11 megapixels of resolution right?

All of the so-called 13+ megapixel cameras you mention are complete nonsense that is designed for marketing purposes and it is a huge waste of storage space.

There is literally no difference whatsoever in resolution between a 13 megapixel image taken with a 6 megapixel lens, and an 8 megapixel image taken with a 6 megapixel lens.

It's like playing a VHS on a 4k monitor, you will never get more data (There is some advantage to oversampling like clearer colors which is why you want ideally around 20% more pixels on your sensor than you can resolve, but these companies are making cameras that have 100% more resolution than their lenses, which is nonsense).

:confused:

This is the funniest thing I've read all morning.

Please show me data that DSLR makers have trouble makign 7-11 megapixels of resolution, when they are making 16-36MP cameras daily...

Please show me what a 6 megapixel lens looks like...

:rolleyes:

Godzirra

macrumors 6502
Then I suppose your "needs" to be re-evaluated and stop getting your panties in a bunch. The screen size is more important to you than the camera, obviously.

Honestly, if you love using the iPhone camera now, what difference does it make it the 4.7" doesn't have OIS? Just because it doesn't have OIS, you suddenly won't like the same camera system you've been loving all these years? :rolleyes:

No one is forcing you to buy something you can't use.

:rolleyes:

My needs are what are governed by my body and my mobility restrictions.
It would be nice if the rumours aren't true, and Apple put OIS into the smaller iPhone, instead of restricting it to certain larger models. The camera and screen size are important to me, and if it makes my photos better, and eliminates my faults then why should i be forced to use something which i couldn't handle?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Hmm... did you really mean what you said because it makes no sense and leads the reader to only assume you don't really understand even basic camera principles. A lens is just glass. So the idea of "a 13 megapixel image taken with a 6 megapixel lens" makes as much sense as, say, "a car powered by a 350hp transmission."

It's the sensor inside a device that determines the captured resolution as well as the quality and flaws of the picture. And yes, some of the pixel-wars is market, but not all of it. Sensors are not generic. So just saying a camera has a 10mp sensor is meaningless. That's the marketing part of it. But a quality high MP sensor matched with a well-built lens is the real deal. Those pictures can be enlarged to ginormous sizes with razor sharpness and few flaws.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
If I were Tim Cook, I'd make the 5.5" the flagship with better specs, extra RAM, 4K screen, better battery life, faster processor and a better camera just to irritate everyone on MacRumors. :D:D

LOL :D

And on top of it all: no big a$$ ugly bezels, so the 5.5" screen iPhone will actually be smaller than the 4.7" model :p

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Does Apple really expect people to buy the 5.5 en masse? Meanwhile, the 4.7 is going to be sold, shooting crappy pictures.

So I guess the 5S takes crappier pictures? Because the 4.7'' 6 will have improved quality in respect to the 5s standing to the report.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
OIS doesn't justify the extra price difference besides a bigger screen imo. The 4.7" model has a big enough screen for most people while also having a great camera since it's Apple. I have to see more to justify the purchase of the 5.5" model.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Sounds like the elite are back at it again moaning and bitching about what Apple May or may not do and how they want a premium product with the best specs, etc.

Either buy the product or don't buy the product. That is how you make a difference in getting Apple to give you what you want. With your pocketbook.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Disappointing if true because this would force me to spend $100 more dollars than I wanted to on a phone size I didn't plan on getting. Photo quality on a phone is very important to me #

#

Force? You'd be choosing to, right? I'm not excited about the larger screen, myself but I don't HAVE to buy it!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Sounds like the elite are back at it again moaning and bitching about what Apple May or may not do and how they want a premium product with the best specs, etc.

Either buy the product or don't buy the product. That is how you make a difference in getting Apple to give you what you want. With your pocketbook.

Best specs is debatable. Battery life, gotta give that to Android.

imronburgundy

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
Lets say Apple sells 75 million iPhone 6 4.7" models in 2014-15. It is an additional cost of 375 million USD for them. Not very cheap.

(Compare this to Nokia's $169 million profit in all of 2013.)

This is really Apple's way of "adding features", besides the larger screen, to probably charge an extra $100 on the price of the phone.

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
2013 : "Yeah iPhone camera is pro, they shoot whole movie with it and photographers replaced their camera with an iPhone!"

2014 : "Omg I don't want to buy the 4.7" and its crappy camera, I want the best camera!"

2015 : "GOD THAT 13MPX CAMERA SUCKS SO MUCH, WHY CAN'T I HAVE THAT 41MPIXEL + OIS?!?!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.