Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
the bottom line is that all this complaining isn't going to change a darn thing. you get what they offer and if you don't like it don't buy it.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
One argument for the phones being the same except for the screen size: iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina. They're the same, except for the screen and the changes required for a smaller phone factor.

sentiblue

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Silicon Valley
Stabilization on all models

I dont think Apple will differentiate the models using the image stabilization as one of the factors...

Feature is already developed and in mass production. Why remove such an important feature from a device just because of a couple dollar COGS?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
They are not removing it. It's not there now. This is a hardware addition. It's like doubling the storage.

While I suspect you're probably right- that Apple wouldn't include this in one model but leave it out of the other- step back to the new screen size of iPad mini 1 vs the full-sized iPad 4: new screen size was not the only difference. One had retina and the other didn't. One had lots of the latest hardware guts; the other utilized iPad 2 outdated guts. Apple has rolled out new hardware without latest guts before.

Even the iPhone 5s vs. 5c might offer a clue. Both were "new models" of iPhone released at the same time. One had a few more hardware goodies than the other.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
An iPhone 6 without this hardware would probably take photos at least as good as an iPhone 5s, probably a little better. An iPhone 6 with this hardware would take better pictures when the photo taker's hands are moving.

It's not like an iPhone without this add-on is going to suffer a drop in photo-taking quality. Some of the posts in this thread almost read like that.

----------

One argument for the phones being the same except for the screen size: iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina. They're the same, except for the screen and the changes required for a smaller phone factor.

iPad 4 vs. iPad mini one (when Apple first rolled out a new screen size) differed in screen size, retina vs. non retina and most of the internal guts.

jasonbogen

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2006
It actually makes a ton of sense for a very simple reason. The supply chain for OIS just isn't ready for manufacturing many tens of millions of OIS camera modules for the phones. This is the reason why even Samsung, who love to throw every known feature under the sun into their phones, couldn't find a way to equip their Galaxy S5 with an OIS camera yet even though their competitors such as LG and Nokia do have phones with OIS. Likewise iPhones have been far too successful for OIS.

The industry reportedly have been working very hard to meet this demand but so far they have not been very successful so far. However it's been said both Apple and Samsung will begin releasing OIS-equipped phones, the next Galaxy Note probably will be the one and the bigger iPhone with an OIS makes a lot of sense based on those factors and rumors.

This is the only reason that would make sense. once you get to 4.7" and 5.5" the size is not decided on as much because of money, but because of people actually wanting one size over the other. Personally, money is no object on that choice and I want the 4.7 over the 5.5, but camera performance is a huge issue. Apple is not stupid and can't possibly be looking at the 4.7" phone as the entry level version. I don't believe this rumor, but if it does end up being true, I would bet it is because of the reason you state.

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
I am a guy! I don't carry a purse! I don't want a larger phone!!!!

I will be extremely disappointed if :apple: makes a HUGE mistake and releases the larger phone with more functionality and better components than the 4.7 sized iPhone 6!

They have to know that only a specific market segment wants a larger device to cram in their pocket. Why not just add phone capabilities to the iPad mini and forgo a larger iPhone???

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Makes sense according to Apple Math

$1 more component costs = $100 more retail cost so put it in the "prestige" product.

I am sure the 5.5" iPhone will be the first iPhone to hit the $1000+ price range if you max out the storage.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
They have to know that only a specific market segment wants a larger device to cram in their pocket. Why not just add phone capabilities to the iPad mini and forgo a larger iPhone???

You mean the market segment that outsells Apple by like 10 to 1?

Apple needs to do this because they are losing market share, period.

Also larger phone sizes still fit the front pocket of men's pants, unless you shop at Osh Kosh.

Lopov Jack

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2008
So, people who are in for the 5,5-inch model probably won't need an iPad. So why would Apple do such a stupid thing and release much inferior 4,7-inch iPhone 6, when those people would probably be much more into iPhone&iPad combo?

I don't want a phablet but at the same time, I want the highest end possible iPhone (best processor, memory, camera etc.)

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
I don't want a phablet but at the same time, I want the highest end possible iPhone (best processor, memory, camera etc.)

Why? And like someone pointed out, 5.5 > 4.7, so the highest end would be the one with largest screen.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Well my images doesnt look no where near as blurry as that example using my 5S, not having image stabilizer either, so thats clearly a "worst case scenario".

Ill still take the smaller phone. Phablets are such a joke.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
And when both sizes of iPhone 6 have OIS, same analyst will claim that Apple changed its mind at the last minute. Or if neither size has it, analyst will claim Apple ran into some sort of production problem.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Why? And like someone pointed out, 5.5 > 4.7, so the highest end would be the one with largest screen.

While others will point out the 5.5 is merely bigger, and they'd be right. Bigger doesn't inherently make it higher end unless Apple makes it that way artificially, but doing what this article is suggesting they're going to do.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
the bottom line is that all this complaining isn't going to change a darn thing. you get what they offer and if you don't like it don't buy it.

Exactly. And I'll go way out on a limb here and say most of the ones complaining will by an iPhone anyway.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Just wait....

With Amazon phone already having the whole 3D 4 camera thing on the phone, (and the only device that gathers as much data on the user as the NSA does phone records), Apple should be the next line with developing their own "spying" device...

And to the rest of us.... every Apple user would want one, since every Apple device is cool.. Why wouldn't you? :p

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Just wait....

With Amazon phone already having the whole 3D 4 camera thing on the phone, (and the only device that gathers as much data on the user as the NSA does phone records), Apple should be the next line with developing their own "spying" device...

And to the rest of us.... every Apple user would want one, since every Apple device is cool.. Why wouldn't you? :p

If Amazon's phone weren't exclusive to AT&T....

Marc-SP

Oct 7, 2013
First Starbucks is terrible coffee - go find a real coffee shop that has farm direct beans

2nd $5 to apple means $100 up charge to customers :apple:

Where I live you can have a fastfood meal with drink (e.g hamburger, potatoes and cola) for the price of one starbucks medium size coffe. Still, starbucks is full :confused::confused::confused:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
While others will point out the 5.5 is merely bigger, and they'd be right. Bigger doesn't inherently make it higher end unless Apple makes it that way artificially, but doing what this article is suggesting they're going to do.

Well, nothing else will "inherently" make something higher end, either, unless that something is valued by the customer. I have no use for 128 GB of storage in my phone, so a 128 GB iPhone wouldn't be "better" in my eyes than a 64 GB iPhone.

Just as the CPU in the 5S is "merely" faster and "merely" has more bits. Couldn't care less before there will be some real-world application of the specs. The iPad 2 is plenty fast for everything that I've figured out to do with it, slapping a faster CPU on it wouldn't make it any better from where I'm standing.

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
Lets say Apple sells 75 million iPhone 6 4.7" models in 2014-15. It is an additional cost of 375 million USD for them. Not very cheap.

(Compare this to Nokia's $169 million profit in all of 2013.)
Another way to think about it is if Apple leaves OIS out of the 4.7" iPhone 6, than Apple makes 375 million USD extra profits.

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
iPhone 5.1

If the specs really are different (other than screen size) between different sizes of iPhones, a lot of people are going to be pissed off. Not everybody wants a huge phone.

I'd personally prefer the 4.7" model that is slightly larger than my galaxy nexus. Although it sounds like the 5.5" model will have ois, sapphire, and just about every nice innovation you'd expect while making its smaller cousin look like v5.1 in the process. Ois does not require much additional space. They minimize the iPhone 6 - 4.7" to save $$ while the android family grows. Apple cant afford to be as greedy IMO. My personal prediction is it is easier to put the same camera tech in to both models rather than develop two new cameras. What does"advanced lens system" mean anyways? Sounds like it requires as much space as ois or it is just a gimmick to make 4.7" owners feel better.
You're right... Lots of people will be pissed with iPhone5.1 if the phone comes out already obsolete compared to androids.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'd always had 16 gig iPhones until the 5 was released and I decided to go to 32GB.

The main reason was Apple's pricing, as the 16 gig was £529 and the 32 gig was "only" an extra £75 at £599.

In hindsight, I'm kinda glad I did, as I do find I use the camera more (still & video) and although my phone's not bulging full, it's nice not to have to worry I'm going to run out of space.

I've also always had 64 gig iPads (1, 3 & Air), as I used them to import photos from our digital camera (although that's used far less these days-in fact, it's main use is pool/underwater shots as it's waterproof, everything else is taken using my 5S).

I can't see me going 64 gig for my iPhone 6, but I guess it depends on the spec of the camera and how that will affect storage.

I do however find myself leaning towards the 5.5" more and more every day... :eek: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.