Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Oh no, now I have to uncheck something when I install Java once every five years

It is when you forget to do that for whatever reason that the problem begins. Ask is one of the most useless and pathetic things ever to exist on the net.

USELESS. Did I say USELESS?

I happened to notice it today as I was installing Java for some stupid reason. Even after I installed that piece of crap, it still did not work.

No Java, No Ask, and if this gets worse on the Mac I'll move to Linux until that gets crapped up and then I will be dead. 20 years of this BS in Windows is plenty. I moved to Mac to get away from this complete stupidity.

The people who work at Ask must be sad sacks. Working all day to make something USELESS that the only way to get people to use it is to FORCE or TRICK them into using it and even then, it is completely and utterly USELESS!

Karma baby, karma! Get a real job!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I always hated how installing Flash also installed the Ask.com toolbar and other crap.

Why can't software vendors just make it simple to get ONLY the app you want.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
I always hated how installing Flash also installed the Ask.com toolbar and other crap.

Why can't software vendors just make it simple to get ONLY the app you want.

I have installed Flash on at least a dozen Macs and never got an ask.com prompt or any extra apps.

But Ive never felt the need to install Java on a Mac nor had to do for any functionality needs.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have installed Flash on at least a dozen Macs and never got an ask.com prompt or any extra apps.

But Ive never felt the need to install Java on a Mac nor had to do for any functionality needs.

That was years ago on Windows, but same principle.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
This is great news! This will definitely speed up the rate that Java will be phased out and made completely irrelevant.

It really only existed for lazy developers making shoddy software.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is great news! This will definitely speed up the rate that Java will be phased out and made completely irrelevant.

It really only existed for lazy developers making shoddy software.

Nice one. That's about as funny as it gets.

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
When I first saw this my initial thought was "ask.com still exists!?"
Yes, it exists on every Windows machine that I find infected by malware or viruses. If I see the Ask toolbar I know the machine has been compromised. It is like the Ask toolbar opens the floodgates.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, it exists on every Windows machine that I find infected by malware or viruses. If I see the Ask toolbar I know the machine has been compromised. It is like the Ask toolbar opens the floodgates.

Simply because those who have all that are those who install everything and anything without a care.

Scyanide

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Do end-users still use Java? I can't remember the last time I even used an application or webpage that required my computer to have Java installed.

I don't know about others but I have to have it. Many developer tools require Java. Android Studio, MPLab X, Arduino IDE, NetBeans (though that should be a no brainer).

Any tool that uses the NetBeans Platform requires Java which there are MANY of them out there.

Habberkuk

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2013
Denmark
I've never understood why big companies like Oracle bundles crappy software with their apps...

Please no Oracle......

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
thank god I finally passed my horrible java class at uni. I removed java along with eclipse as soon as I got my results lol

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Wow, this is disgusting. Are they really that desperate for revenue?!?!?!

Also, can someone tell me if this happening with the JDK as well?

No, it doesn't happen with the JDK installer (which also installs/updates the JRE)

As a Java developer it still pisses me off though. As other comments here show, it's not like Java doesn't already have a problem with end-user acceptance without making it *worse*.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I really can't stand it when vendors do this. The thing they don't realise is that they put some less technical users like my parents off updating as they get worried about installing things they don't want! This then leaves them vulnerable to the security problems the patch fixes which everyone now knows about and can exploit. To me it sounds like security is a secondary concern for them, I wonder how many vulnerabilities there are in the bundled Adware? I would mind less if they asked this only once on the first time you install Java (or whatever) then just updated automatically without pestering or just asking for permission to update.

ARGH!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I had to go through the trouble of immediately unistalling this crap from a couple PCs because of being too fast to uncheck sometimes.

I still cannot believe Oracle would do this.

They might be very angry at Google and Microsoft, but this is not the right way.

ijbond

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
Dear Oracle

I am an IT decision maker. And I keep such examples of fraud in good memory.

Good luck for your future!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Like many installers, opt out . How much are people paying for this?

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Crapware Yields Adware Yields Malware

Thanks for the info. And even just the JRE? Wow. FWIW, I get prompt-pop-ups to install Java in 10.9 or 10.10 whenever I install a new Waves plugin. I decline the Java, but accept the AAX/AU plugin and it just goes away.

Glad I said "Nope..." :eek:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Dear Oracle

I am an IT decision maker. And I keep such examples of fraud in good memory.

Good luck for your future!

If your in a high enough position, In a company big enough to be looking at oracle, maybe you should gain an understanding of what fraud means.....

This is not fraud.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Like many installers, opt out . How much are people paying for this?

Having installed Java countless times from Sun Microsystems, one is simply expecting a trustworthy installer from a serious company like Oracle.

People are paying for this by allowing developers to use Java.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.