Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
- boot screen is now the same as iOS: black background, white apple, thin loading bar

- login screen is your desktop picture blurred, instead of black background.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
In Mavericks the full screen behaviour could be toggled between the ML version and the new version, so I presume it's just defaulted to the older version in the first beta?

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I like Yosemite a lot. It's a little glitchy right now. That is completely understandable. It's a beta. But wow...there's a lot of promise here.

Yosemite boots like iOS 7 with a black screen with white Apple logo and white loading progress bar at startup. When the computer gets to the login window, it's your desktop picture out of focus with a nice list of the users. An improvement over Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks.

When you set up your Mac you can set it up to sign in with your Apple ID. I think this is long overdue and I very much welcome this.

A lot of the old interface is still there (although Lucida Grand has been swapped out for the new Helvetica version) and the iconography and designs will probably be updated as the beta matures. A lot of spit and polish is needed but you can definitely see how great this is going to be. I was pretty leery but I'm pleasantly surprised.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 5.50.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 5.50.16 PM.png
    290.9 KB · Views: 1,401

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Mission control is weird. Doesn't show each full desktop, rather just the apps on each desktop.

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Going Full Screen with multiple displays now goes back to Mountain type full screens.

Full screen on 1 screen, empty darkness on the others.

You must have the relevant setting disabled because this behaviour is exactly the same as in mavericks.

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
I like Yosemite a lot. It's a little glitchy right now. That is completely understandable. It's a beta. But wow...there's a lot of promise here.

Yosemite boots like iOS 7 with a black screen with white Apple logo and white loading progress bar at startup. When the computer gets to the login window, it's your desktop picture out of focus with a nice list of the users. An improvement over Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks.

When you set up your Mac you can set it up to sign in with your Apple ID. I think this is long overdue and I very much welcome this.

A lot of the old interface is still there (although Lucida Grand has been swapped out for the new Helvetica version) and the iconography and designs will probably be updated as the beta matures. A lot of spit and polish is needed but you can definitely see how great this is going to be. I was pretty leery but I'm pleasantly surprised.

I see the wallpapers icon is still with Leopard's wallpaper....

IT NEVER CHANGES

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Are Yosemite Extensions the same as iOS 8 Extensions? Hadn't noticed that until now.

Also note how the CFL is gone, replaced by an LED bulb... But "Startup Device" is still an HDD...

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Are Yosemite Extensions the same as iOS 8 Extensions? Hadn't noticed that until now.

Also note how the CFL is gone, replaced by an LED bulb... But "Startup Device" is still an HDD...

Extensions points you to the Mac App Store, they're for the share menu and notification center

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
I see the wallpapers icon is still with Leopard's wallpaper....

IT NEVER CHANGES

I suspect it will get a makeover. The computer shown in System Information is still showing the Tiger default desktop picture.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 6.13.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 6.13.36 PM.png
    114.2 KB · Views: 485

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Someone said:

"iMovie, iPhoto and final cut pro X doesn’t work."

If true, that is just sad. Apples own apps are not compatible? Why do we always have to step back to step ahead?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Someone said:

"iMovie, iPhoto and final cut pro X doesn’t work."

If true, that is just sad. Apples own apps are not compatible? Why do we always have to step back to step ahead?

It's a beta. It's completely understandable.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Plain is better than the felt...does it have the blobs? Screenshot?

The icon is the blobs and the blobs are on the sign in screen. Other than that it's like the mavs one but just white. Will upload a screen later.

App Store is exactly the same.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
Thoughts:

New UI is decidedly unattractive, although at least the icons are still okay. Just flat and simplified, but not to the point of being hideous like iOS.

New features are awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.