Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
The truth is that since 10.6, OSX has taken a back seat at Apple. Remember "back to mac" where they introduced 10.7? Don't fool yourselves that 10.7/8 is better than 10.6. I don't think it can possibly be better for the simple reason that Apple has not been giving priority to Mac since 10.6.

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
Don't fool yourselves that 10.7/8 is better than 10.6. I don't think it can possibly be better for the simple reason that Apple has not been giving priority to Mac since 10.6.

Since the introduction of OS X Lion, this quote is the best I have ever read regarding 10.6 vs. 10.7 vs. 10.8.
Simple and to the point ;)

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
The truth is that since 10.6, OSX has taken a back seat at Apple. Remember "back to mac" where they introduced 10.7? Don't fool yourselves that 10.7/8 is better than 10.6. I don't think it can possibly be better for the simple reason that Apple has not been giving priority to Mac since 10.6.

.and Apple has far less people than that's needed for all of their products and it led to the lion disaster, antenna issue etc.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012

ML has more than 200 new features :apple:, its Safari is fun to use, I can resize ML windows from any corners (For SL, from lower-right corner only). Why ML is not better than SL :confused: (Yeah, Front Row is gone :( )

Seriously, if you don't like ML, I recommend you to try Windows 7 Ultimate version (no Windows 8). It's a very good OS :). Maybe you'll jump ship.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
However, not the OS itself.
And? Do you pay cash for absolutely everything? Buy it in the App Store, then copy it to a USB key and never bother with the MAS again.

.and Apple has far less people than that's needed for all of their products and it led to the lion disaster, antenna issue etc.
Lion? Disaster? That's funny. Antennagate was definitely a big issue though.

Apple hasn't been giving OS X their no. 1 priority, nor should they. They are introducing new features though, and continually making improvements to the desktop OS, even if they take some of those features from iOS (which they should). You might be dismissive of Apple's efforts to continue working on OS X, but to assume that 10.8 and 10.7 are somehow worse than 10.6 because Apple's focus is on iOS completely ignores everything they have done.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Well you'll have to either accept it or move on. Despite all the many negatives on the web about Windows 8, Microsoft feels that it's better than Windows 7 and they will follow suit to make sure that people will have to upgrade at some point. You can continue to chant the awesomeness of Snow Leopard but at some point it will become irrelevant. To be honest about it I do feel that ML is far better than Snow Leopard and I've been on the Mac since OS 8 so I feel very qualified to judge it seeing as I've been through ever Mac OS for the past 15 years. Many people here just became a Mac user since Tiger or Snow Leopard.

Last edited:

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
ML has more than 200 new features :apple:, its Safari is fun to use, I can resize ML windows from any corners (For SL, from lower-right corner only). Why ML is not better than SL :confused: (Yeah, Front Row is gone :( )

Seriously, if you don't like ML, I recommend you to try Windows 7 Ultimate version (no Windows 8). It's a very good OS :). Maybe you'll jump ship.

Yeah, talk about coming from Windows, that resize a window from all sides is a MUST...? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is what happens when Apple's obsessed about getting Windows failures coming in en masse and bring about Window-esque mentality right into Lion and Mountain Lion... :mad::mad:

I find that in SL it is already neat to resize from one corner alone... I don't have to worry about my trigger finger being accidentally and unintentionally resizing my windows...

What to do...? I'm autistic... Everything has to be in order - L/ML is pure chaos just like Windows... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yeah, talk about coming from Windows, that resize a window from all sides is a MUST...? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is what happens when Apple's obsessed about getting Windows failures coming in en masse and bring about Window-esque mentality right into Lion and Mountain Lion... :mad::mad:

I find that in SL it is already neat to resize from one corner alone... I don't have to worry about my trigger finger being accidentally and unintentionally resizing my windows...

What to do...? I'm autistic... Everything has to be in order - L/ML is pure chaos just like Windows... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think adding the all corner resize to OS X had anything to do with Apple obsessing over Windows "Failures". I'm not sure how you see this feature as a failure? It was more about new customer switching from Windows to the Mac and complaining that it was it too hard to switch due to some functionalities in Windows that people were used to. Apple was just listening to their newer customers, nothing wrong with that.
All these years that have passed Apple is just now adding some of these features, doesn't sound like they were obsessed with anything Windows offered.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012

You are correct, talking about coming from Windows (Linux too), resizing a window from all sides is a MUST have feature, because I use Windows for work, I have to do a lot of multi-tasking.

I use OS X for leisure only, mainly Safari, iPhoto, not too many multi-tasking. Resize window from lower-right corner is not fatal, it's just not convenient. It would be even nicer if the application menu bar is attached to the application window, but not on top of the desktop, because running the mouse cursor up and down is not convenient.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
I don't think adding the all corner resize to OS X had anything to do with Apple obsessing over Windows "Failures". I'm not sure how you see this feature as a failure? It was more about new customer switching from Windows to the Mac and complaining that it was it too hard to switch due to some functionalities in Windows that people were used to. Apple was just listening to their newer customers, nothing wrong with that.
All these years that have passed Apple is just now adding some of these features, doesn't sound like they were obsessed with anything Windows offered.

Mind you, perhaps I should rephrase "Windows [strikeout]failures[/strikeout] users"... :D:D

It has nothing to do with features or actions... If you still fail to comprehend, don't bother quoting me...

You are correct, talking about coming from Windows (Linux too), resizing a window from all sides is a MUST have feature, because I use Windows for work, I have to do a lot of multi-tasking.

I use OS X for leisure only, mainly Safari, iPhoto, not too many multi-tasking. Resize window from lower-right corner is not fatal, it's just not convenient. It would be even nicer if the application menu bar is attached to the application window, but not on top of the desktop, because running the mouse cursor up and down is not convenient.

In other words... Windows [STRIKEOUT]failures[/STRIKEOUT] users are plain lazy - inconvenience is just another convenient excuse...

Full screen crap is another stupid feature adopted from the Windows-esque (perhaps I should say Linux too...?) mentality that spoiled multiple display support on OS X...

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012

In other words... Windows [STRIKEOUT]failures[/STRIKEOUT] users are plain lazy - inconvenience is just another convenient excuse...

Full screen crap is another stupid feature adopted from the Windows-esque (perhaps I should say Linux too...?) mentality that spoiled multiple display support on OS X...

I guess you don't understand "efficiency", or you never run more than one application at a time.

I said "It's just not convenient" instead of using nasty words (e.g. SUCKS !) becaue I don't want to start an OS war -- Windows versus OS X.

It seems like you hate Windows so much, is it because your boss force you to use Windows?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
It has nothing to do with features or actions... If you still fail to comprehend, don't bother quoting me...

I have no problem comprehending, but you have a couple of issues with your posts, 1) not posting your exact words so people don't have to sit here trying to figure you out, and 2) your manners and demeanor and the way you put people down here. ;)

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia

I'm amazed took Apple so long to add this feature.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
For Apple to get everyone to use Mountain Lion they need to learn something from Microsoft and release their operating system for all computers that can handle at least 2gb of ram.

We know by Apple's past history that they maintain working operating systems for past, present and future hardware.

That means releasing 10.8 for PPC hardware with Intel Rosetta, Core Duo hardware, and current chipsets with PPC Rosetta and even for the A6X hardware which they will be migrating to shortly for their desktops.
And adding downloads for missing extensions like AppleTalk, printer drivers and video drivers.

Then and only then will their market share be somewhere near 80% or higher and they can boast over Microsoft that they are more unified with their OS on all their hardware.

Apple doesn't play the market share game, they play the profit game and they win.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
And? Do you pay cash for absolutely everything? Buy it in the App Store, then copy it to a USB key and never bother with the MAS again.

Way to miss the point. Even to buy once only, I would have to register and get an Apple ID. No thanks!

As for payment method, I insist upon choosing. Cash where feasible, and choosing to give my name and card number on other occasions.

The prime point is choice.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Probably because most of the people that upgraded to Lion would also upgrade to ML. Those that didn’t upgrade from SL to Lion will likely never upgrade until they get a new computer.

This is very true... or in a lot of cases, bought Lion and reverted back to SL, which was my case. If you were near the bottom of the sys req, Lion ran like crap, even on machines newer than mine.

Really though, there hasn't been any dramatically compelling new features that I think SL people are missing out on. Most of them were just lipstick without substance. I'm only just now starting to feel the age of my machine in ways that have me planning to replace it next year.

----------

As in my previous quote... it's lipstick, not features, or compelling features. SL has none of the bugs, performs better, is faster... Lion brought back the bloat that SL got rid of.

SL also doesn't have the identity crisis of Lion and ML.... "My GUI wants to be an iPad, but still wants to be a Mac. If only I had a touch screen..."

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
As in my previous quote... it's lipstick, not features, or compelling features. SL has none of the bugs, performs better, is faster... Lion brought back the bloat that SL got rid of.

SL also doesn't have the identity crisis of Lion and ML.... "My GUI wants to be an iPad, but still wants to be a Mac. If only I had a touch screen..."

So ML is kind of Windows Vista, or Windows 8. Windows in the past had the famous bug, blue screen of death. I don't know too much about OS X, can you tell me the bugs you see?

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Agree with MacAddict1978 100%.
[Since I've started my Mac experience with Leopard (and Snow Leopard on my private Mac) I guess I don't have enough "street cred" :), but I'll throw in my few cents anyways.]
Both my 13 and 15" MBPs came with Lion and I've upgraded to ML - gotta say I don't see much of a difference, I didn't have any issues with neither. But my girlfriend running SL on her 2007 white MB also doesn't have any problems with it. It runs just as smoothly and fast as it did a year ago when I bought her the MB and installed SL on it. Plus she can tweek the icons with Candy Bar which she likes very much - it's a small thing, but important for her:)
As for Lion/ML - sure iCloud integration is great, especially after a while when you get used to not saving things on your HDD and then copying them to pendrives other Mbs when needed etc, but still that's something one can easily live without. And it comes with a downside, like when your web connection goes out or you find yourself in a "web-less" place:) Then what? You still need "hard" copies.
As for ML I can't realy complain since like I've said I don't have any issues, but the "new" features are truly a laugh:
• notification center - ok, cool, probably someone's using it, but not me. Wanted to turn it off right away, but it turns out you can't - gotta use a termninal command. WTF?
• battery indicator - seriously? Why did they change it? For the sake of it? As if "80%" tells me more about how much longer I can run on battery than time indicator. Gotta install another app just to get it back. Come on! Hope they'll bring it back in 10.9 and they'll probably hype it as a new cool feature:)
• Facebook, twitter etc integration - cool, it's more of a tweek not a feature and honestly I could live without it and spend a minute posting a pic to facebook.
• Game center - haven't used it once and I'll probably won't. I'm a "Sunday gamer" so to speak:)
• Launchpad - ok, I've even found myself using it more often that my Apps folder in the dock since I can arrange program icons according to my preferences. But still, they could just make the Apps folder (put in the dock) act like launchpad, no need to double "beings".
• notes - great. No complaints.
• reminders - OK I guess, but I don't use it. I tend to remember things:) But if someone has lots of appointments etc it could probably be useful.

Can't think of any other issues or regrets about ML. All my software that worked on SL - most importantly Adobe and Office work great, but obviously the whole Lion/Mountain Lion upgrade didn't really feel needed from my point of view.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Even Mac users do not like ML. I guess OS X has no future. Apple will focus at iOS, iTune and consumer electronic.

Right now Windows 8 sales is not good. I think Windows 9 will kill the momentum of iMac and Mac Book Pro if OS X is not in Apple's product roadmap.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Way to miss the point. Even to buy once only, I would have to register and get an Apple ID. No thanks!

As for payment method, I insist upon choosing. Cash where feasible, and choosing to give my name and card number on other occasions.

The prime point is choice.

Don't know if this would work for you, but I use an iTunes card whenever I want something from App Store or whatever they call it these days. I got a bunch as gifts over the years, so I had to put them to work.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
So ML is kind of Windows Vista, or Windows 8. Windows in the past had the famous bug, blue screen of death. I don't know too much about OS X, can you tell me the bugs you see?

See...!? :mad:

What did I say...?

Bring in Windows users, and here comes the ML-Windows worshippers... These "new" people have never used Snow Leopard before, and they will never understand why some long-time Mac users hated Lion and Mountain Lion so much...

This is the problem I see with Apple nowadays trying hard to dumb down OS X just to satisfy them by offering dumbed down Windows-esque features on OS X... No wonder L/ML are flops...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.