Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
The fact that Mountain Lion is not adopted faster than Lion or Snow Leopard sure must be a disappointment for Apple since it can be easily purchased in the Mac AppStore, to which most users should have access by now.

At the time Lion was released, not that many people had access to the AppStore, and Snow Leopard had to be purchased the old school way.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I completely agree with you. I have a mid-2009 13" MBP, Snow Leopard installed. 3 years after I bought it, my mac began to perform very slow. Upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 4GB, and changed the HDD to SSD. And I was amazed on how fast and smooth it performs now, just as fast (if not faster) when I bought it 38 months ago.

Proud user of Snow Leopard. :cool:

We can thank former Senior Vice President of Software Engineering, Bertrand Serlet. Serlet worked with Jobs at NeXT and went with Jobs to Apple in 1997, retiring in 20011. Serlet was primarily responsible for OS X Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard.

On March 23, 2011, Apple announced that Bertrand Serlet was leaving the company "to focus less on products and more on science."

According to BusinessInsider, he has founded a startup in cloud computing called "Upthere" with other former Apple employees.

In July, 2012 he joined the board of directors of Parallels, Inc.

It seemed until recently no one had taken over as Senior VP of Software Engineering. At the date the article was written, no one had that title until Craig Federighi was [finally] listed on Apple's Executive Profiles. Here is an interesting article about the fate of OS X (I don't agree with all of it, but the writer has some valid points):

Another Crystal Clear Sign That OS X Is Going to Die Really Soon

Last edited:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'd caution against making ASSumptions based on SL installs because many that have SL and cannot upgrade would do so if they could.

As you pointed out to many, that's your opinion and assumption. Statistically, the number of users running Snow Leopard has increased, especially on new Mac hardware shipped post 10.6. Thus, statistically (that tricky word again), it appears OS X users are actively installing Snow Leopard on new systems, especially servers. Here's an interesting read (long yet detail oriented) on the changes between OS X Server 10.6 and 10.7/8:

Server, simplified: A power user's guide to OS X Server

With Lion Server and now Mountain Lion Server, the software has followed the hardware in becoming cheaper and simpler, and in shifting its focus from large businesses to small ones... As the product has gotten cheaper and within reach of regular people, the tools used to administer it have become correspondingly less complex, both in terms of how difficult they are to use and in how powerful they are.

My fear in this brave new world is that OS X Server will suffer the same fate as Apple Remote Desktop, another enormously useful tool if you're trying to manage a large number of Macs. Remote Desktop's last major update, version 3.0, was introduced all the way back in 2006. Though it is still technically being maintained and sold in the Mac App Store—its current version is 3.6—most of those point updates have served only to add compatibility with new OS X versions and add incremental feature improvements like IPv6 support.

There's still some good, low-hanging fruit that Apple could harvest to make OS X Server better for the kinds of users they're gunning for—things like centralized FileVault management, the ability to patch iOS with the Software Update service, and local iOS device backups. If the software goes into maintenance mode, I worry that we'll never see server features that keep pace with the features in the OS X client.

It is because of reasons such as the above that many have reverted to Snow Leopard Server and Consumer; they have proven to be solid OS X builds with the features most require. 10.7 Lion was the first time in over a decade I have read many complaints; certainly every OS has its fair share of issues. Yet it has been a far different story since 10.6, even more apparent on the developer boards as numerous recognized bugs are still open and unresolved, even from 10.7.

Last edited:

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
The fact that Mountain Lion is not adopted faster than Lion or Snow Leopard sure must be a disappointment for Apple since it can be easily purchased in the Mac AppStore, to which most users should have access by now.

At the time Lion was released, not that many people had access to the AppStore, and Snow Leopard had to be purchased the old school way.

The forced use of the AppStore is the number one reason why I will not upgrade, nor buy new Apple hardware.

Old school or not, I insist upon being able to privately purchase my needs.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Does anyone else here have a hard time remembering the order of the OSes? Off the top of my head, I can tell which is 10.8 by the look of the graph but 10.7 or 10.6?

10.0 was Mac OS X Cheetah

10.1 was Mac OS X Puma

10.2 was Mac OS X Jaguar

10.3 was Mac OS X Panther (a favourite of mine)

10.4 was Mac OS X Tiger

10.5 was Mac OS X Leopard

10.6 Snow Leopard

10.7 Mac OS X Lion

10.8 OS X Mountain

I presume 10.9 will be called Cougar.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
I love me some Snow Leopard! Still my favorite having uninstalled both Lion and Mountain Lion.

BingClawsby

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
My absolute fav is Rhapsody. Still use it!

----------

The forced use of the AppStore is the number one reason why I will not upgrade, nor buy new Apple hardware.

well shut my mouth. was just gonna say exactly the same.

besides all that, having your entire life and things you purchase umbilical corded to the internet.... might as well have them put a monitoring chip in your head right now and get it over with

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
well shut my mouth. was just gonna say exactly the same.

besides all that, having your entire life and things you purchase umbilical corded to the internet.... might as well have them put a monitoring chip in your head right now and get it over with
Fortunately for both of you, it's very easy to purchase software from places other than the Mac App Store.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I wonder if you would feel the same the way if car companies did the same thing. I own a 2006 Camry. What if I have a problem with my car and Toyota says you need to upgrade to newer model to drive it :eek:

I had to buy a new car to get side impact air bags. Wasn't even an available option for my old car. Neither was the hybrid power train. Should I have expected the manufacturer to add both of those to my old car? :rolleyes:

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006

What forced use of the AppStore? :confused:

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
We use it all in my house

My son has 2010 MBP 13 running SL

My Wife 2009 uMB 13 running SL

Me 2012 MBP 13 running ML
2011 Mini running Lion

I like them all however my most favorite is SL but since the 2011, 2012 stuff does not work, I am stuck using ML and Lion

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I had to buy a new car to get side impact air bags. Wasn't even an available option for my old car. Neither was the hybrid power train. Should I have expected the manufacturer to add both of those to my old car? :rolleyes:

If we're talking about iCloud, then its better to put it this way.

Your old car had ESP, but after a while the manufacturer disabled the feature and to get it back you need a new car.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Snow Leopard is a Classic - it did put a big mark in the computing world

The ONLY reason I'm not using SL is, as an iOS app developer, Apple forces me to upgrade my desktop/laptop OS in order to run the latest version of Xcode.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
As you pointed out to many, that's your opinion and assumption. Statistically, the number of users running Snow Leopard has increased, especially on new Mac hardware shipped post 10.6. Thus, statistically (that tricky word again), it appears OS X users are actively installing Snow Leopard on new systems, especially servers. Here's an interesting read (long yet detail oriented) on the changes between OS X Server 10.6 and 10.7/8:

Server, simplified: A power user's guide to OS X Server

It is because of reasons such as the above that many have reverted to Snow Leopard Server and Consumer; they have proven to be solid OS X builds with the features most require. 10.7 Lion was the first time in over a decade I have read many complaints; certainly every OS has its fair share of issues. Yet it has been a far different story since 10.6, even more apparent on the developer boards as numerous recognized bugs are still open and unresolved, even from 10.7.

That article pretty much hits the relevant info. If someone uses Snow Leopard server I don't advise they upgrade because of the significant upgrades/downgrades of the newest versions.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Why do I get the feeling Apple is running out of big cats to name their future OSX releases?

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011

Do you mean the convenient way, where you simply grab a DVD and insert it into the computer, or the new improved way where you buy an $80 flash drive (not compatible with all models), or wait 4 hours to download it, again and again (unless of course you shut the thing down in time, a decidedly un-Apple like approach). My copy of Snow Leopard is 10 seconds away if I need it, and I've downloaded all the current updates ONCE! and they're always available, and don't attempt suicide.

I had a great day once where I went to the Apple Store and got the little "irate customer" speech from the Employees: "We're sorry you're Apple computing experience isn't as wonderful as you had hoped, we could resolve this problem for you if we actually had more intellect or authority that a fry-cook at KFC". I almost felt sorry for the little robots.

And I was thrilled to know my latest Mac qualified for the up-to-date program and a "Free" copy of Mountain Lion. So after filling out the form four times, submitting all the documents three times, being told "Yes we're reviewing your order"; "No, you don't qualify"; "This is a duplicate order", "You can only access the up-to-date program at uptodate.com", "Please locate the phone number for you regional Apple Service Center and call", "No, you shouldn't have called, please got to uptodate.com" and "how did you like the service?" when the phone contact told me I should go look at my computer to make sure it had Lion on it, because maybe it had been updated and that was why I didn't qualify.

Now after wasting more than two hours of my time, I get my fantastic "Free" $15 operating system upgrade; oh wait, I've got a four hour download ahead of me, but I'll remember to pull the plug the first time.

Basically they told me "We have a hundred Billion dollars in the bank, and we couldn't care less about last year's operating system, in fact we're pretty sure we never made such a thing, and since you don't have one of our phones, we're pretty sure you're not one of our customers."

Much easier than tossing a 50¢ DVD in the box.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm stuck with Leopard on my G5 until my new 27" iMac gets here.

The one upside to the quick OS X turn around if the cheap upgrade cost, I remember when not to long ago it was much more expensive. I prefer yearly updates instead of a number of years for Windows.

What's even left at this point? 10.9 Cuddly Kitten?

I'm waiting for Pink Panther or Garfield :D

Last edited:

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002

I agree for people in your situation this is one significant limitation of the AppStore and there are plenty of people in your situation.

However, I do appreciate the liberal license and near-invisible DRM that Apple puts on developers to the benefit of the customer.

The good with the bad and obviously each person will have to determine if the costs outweigh the benefits based on their needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.