Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's kind of embarrassing to see that almost as many people are still on a 13 year old (!!!!) operating system as there are Windows 7 users. It's even more embarrassing to see that there actually are people out there who use Windows Vista! And also, don't forget that Windows 8 came out more than a year ago.

Windows 7 is a solid OS. My favourite was Windows 2000. Solid and dependable.

Yeah it was solid and dependable, but that's easy to achieve when it's not compatible with any software at all other than MS Paint.

Last edited:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
And you can't do much without applications. Macs hardware would probably be dead by now if Apple did not switch to Intel CPUs thus enabling Macs to run Windows applications.

I don't think bootcamp is the reason macs are selling that much more than before. But yes the switch boosted Mac sales since developers could much more easily port their applications to OS X after the switch, so the native OS X software market became much bigger.

mfelb282

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2013
So, I still use XP too. But then again I also use Windows 7 and Windows 8. As a computer programmer I mess up the curve since I use most everything out there. But, my preferred OS is whatever Apple's latest happens to be. Yes, Mavericks still has some bugs that slow it down but I still prefer it to any iteration of Windows.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not only do I still use XP, I always set it to 'classic' mode so it looks like Windows 98. I don't need that newfangled green start button or double-wide start menu, thank you very much.

But my work recently upgraded me to Windows 7 :(

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Is this a glimpse into the future of iOS marketshare? Let's hope not.
Here's some interesting real-world statistics from the browser logs for a recipe site I run that I found downright astounding. The audience is heavily skewed toward North America, but there is worldwide traffic.

Interesting fact #1: If you look at mobile devices only, iOS has just about twice the amount of traffic as Android.

So however many Android devices are being sold, people sure aren't using them to browse the sites I run. And it's not in any way a site that would be "iOS user oriented".

Interesting fact #2 (this is the impressive one): Windows currently has about 42% of all pageviews. iOS has about 26%. Android has about 13%. The MacOS has about 10%. Linux, other mobile platforms, and bots make up the remaining chunk.

So a full 1/4 of the traffic to a site that isn't in any way geared toward tech savvy or mobile users--it's long-form recipes, not a blog or news or tech site--is coming from iOS. And if you combine the mobile platforms, they now nearly equal Windows. Based on current trends, in a few months Android and iOS together will outweigh Windows for traffic.

Given that Windows mobile is negligible (less than 1% of traffic), I expect that kind of statistic is a big part of why Steve Balmer got canned.

Interesting fact #3: The #1 browser is Safari (since the logs don't distinguish between desktop and mobile versions). Chrome is #2.

I can remember a time not so long ago when IE made up 90%+ of pageviews to any site I ran.

Things have changed incredibly in the last couple of years, and the distinction between desktop and mobile in so many of these analyst reports simply fails to reflect the reality that, out in the real world if you're running a website, they're both just users, and the proportions are ever more in favor of people on iOS and to a lesser extent other mobile platforms.

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
Is this a glimpse into the future of iOS marketshare? Let's hope not.

Probably not, but its also completely irrelevant. Mac has a sliver of the market share yet dominates every single metric that is at the pursuit of chasing that market share, most importantly profits. Microsoft dominates that market share chart, yet Apple dominates the PC industry profits, which is Microsofts ultimate goal for owning that market share. Another thing is developer mindshare which Apple also dominates, despite having little market share.

This is the same situation on smartphones, which is actually exacerbated even more in Apples favor. They control even more of the industry profits on mobile phones, and dominate developer mindshare and applications. They also dominate usage stats, which shows the customer base is a much more lucrative and valuable install base.

I'd say Apple isn't sweating too much. Its Apples competitors who are doing most of the sweating and aping of Apples strategy. Even Microsoft themselves are trying to upend the entire company and ape Apples market strategy as well as their product development culture as a functional organization.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Technically, Mac users like myself ruin the graph with multiple Windows running in a separate VM on a Mac.

I am not sure that is correct. You do run OS X and Windows on your Mac. Counting just one of them would be wrong. And you are probably skewing the stats in favor of OS X if you are running Windows but do not use a web browser on it (or some other net app that they can detect and count)

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Still hasn't been corrected, but I'd be curious to know where SL fits into the equation, relative to Lion and ML.

Sorry guys, corrected this. Snow Leopard is 1.53 percent and Leopard is 0.32 percent. I added that in to the original post too since you guys were wondering about it.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
It's free hence the adoption rate. If it were $30 like Lion it would be less . And the bugs with this OS are plentiful. It is the Vista of OSX. Don't believe me? Well just check out this forum's 10.9 section.

No, I don't believe you. Having downloaded every single .0 release since Leopard, I think Mavericks was one of the most stable releases yet. The early betas were remarkably stable, and that no doubt contributed to the golden master release.

If there was any "vista" of OS X, it would be 10.7, no doubt.

----------

Good to see Windows XP still going string. It was all downhill for Windows after that release.

I thought Windows 7 was pretty solid myself.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
How many applications are available for Mac versus those for Windows on PCs? That's why I care about what could happen for mobile devices. Android already has a lead. While developers currently get more bang for their buck on iOS, if marketshare continues to dwindle this won't last long...

Exactly :( The same thing happened for Mac software in the early 90s. Before long you had to pay more to get the generation old version of software on Mac. It still is that way with a lot of software.

The problem is that despite having zero software licensing fees for software/OS, Apple charges a premium for generally non-upgradable hardware. That was understandable when you could get your mac II engraved on the back with the names of employees in CA who built the machine. Not so much when the machines are built by the same Chinese laborers who also put PCs together only saved from suicide by nets placed underneath their windows.

Market share does matter and the majority of PC buyers are in a market 25-40% below the price of Macs, iPads, and iPhones. Apple is stuck in One Vicious Infinite Loop.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I am still actively running Leopard, Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion and Mavericks on different machines (Lion is not welcome in my house). The Leopards just don't really go online anymore.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
How many applications are available for Mac versus those for Windows on PCs? That's why I care about what could happen for mobile devices. Android already has a lead. While developers currently get more bang for their buck on iOS, if marketshare continues to dwindle this won't last long...

For that the answer is in the next post.. Where iOS leads in SALES by number of users buying from iOS and in how much more they spend. THAT gets you apps first.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Surprised, but yet not surprised that Windows 8 is so low. What a mess of an OS.

Thinking Mavericks will get a boost when 10.9.1 is released.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's kind of embarrassing to see that almost as many people are still on a 13 year old (!!!!) operating system as there are Windows 7 users. It's even more embarrassing to see that there actually are people out there who use Windows Vista! And also, don't forget that Windows 8 came out more than a year ago.

Yeah it was solid and dependable, but that's easy to achieve when it's not compatible with any software at all other than MS Paint.

Huh?

Windows 7 is compatible with tons and tons of software. What are you talking about?

EdRed

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2007
Not only do I still use XP, I always set it to 'classic' mode so it looks like Windows 98. I don't need that newfangled green start button or double-wide start menu, thank you very much.

But my work recently upgraded me to Windows 7 :(

You can set Windows 7 to 'classsic' mode too!

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
It is truly amazing how the Windows world has fragmented itself. It used to be that people advance ordered the new Win and could not wait to get it. Seeing a third of the WinWorld still using XP is amazing and I know some who are using Win2k in machine-specific roles. This really shows a lack of enthusiasm by MS's customers and they need to get back to building an OS people actually want to use.

Really? I saw kiosks, offices, and industry equipment running Windows 3.11 well into Windows 2000's obsolescence. If consumers are unwilling or uninterested in upgrading, they don't until they buy a new computer. If the computer lasts well beyond the market's opinion of how long they should last, then the market is wrong in that opinion. Also, professionals with stable production machines are loathe to change a working system (especially if they're relying on discontinued hardware or software that does not work on newer systems). They tend to change it only when it's so obsolete that it isn't production worthy any longer.

Windows has always been a fragmented and backwards compatible platform. That has been one reason for its dominance.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Surprised, but yet not surprised that Windows 8 is so low. What a mess of an OS.

Thinking Mavericks will get a boost when 10.9.1 is released.

It isn't too bad after you get use to it. They were just trying to do something different and fresh for a change since Windows 95. The Start screen is basically the Launchpad on the Mac that is your default screen that can be customized a bit more. It supports what looks like full screen widgets that you can download from the Windows App store that work in both the ARM version and the Intel version of Windows 8. Besides, those additions, it is pretty much the same Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.