Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
It's kind of embarrassing to see that almost as many people are still on a 13 year old (!!!!) operating system as there are Windows 7 users. It's even more embarrassing to see that there actually are people out there who use Windows Vista! And also, don't forget that Windows 8 came out more than a year ago.

Dude, Windows is expensive. I'm not embarrassed to be still on Vista. Why are you embarrassed for me? I don't have a disposable income. Congratulations if you do.

Buy me a 64-bit Windows 7 Professional license and I will upgrade my Vista machine. I'm dirt poor and migrating to Mac and away from PC. My PC just isn't that critical to me any more. It runs what it runs well enough to run away from it when not playing Windows-only games on my also greatly outdated nvidia 8800gtx.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Maybe if Apple lowered prices they might just get their OS out there more!!

You pay a premium for hardware/software integration on a Mac. In and of itself, the software is worthless and the hardware is still premium. Give me a premium built computer that will last six years and still receive free software updates.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
It is truly amazing how the Windows world has fragmented itself.
Fragmented? Why? Almost all applications for newer Windows versions are backwards compatible to XP. You call that fragmented!?

Seeing a third of the WinWorld still using XP is amazing and I know some who are using Win2k in machine-specific roles. This really shows a lack of enthusiasm by MS's customers and they need to get back to building an OS people actually want to use.
No, it shows that you do not understand how productive environments work. People and companies use certain workflows over years. A new OS requires unnecessary changes.

Btw, Windows 7 SP1 is a good replacement for Windows XP SP3.

icolove

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Why are Windows 8 and 8.1 counted as two different OSs? 8.1 is pretty much just a service pack for 8. As 8.2 will be.

Same reason Mavericks and Mountain Lion are considered different OS's.... Apple just names their service packs.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
More people use Vista then ALL OF OSX

and people wonder why Apple doesn't care about OSX anymore

PDXoPDX

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2008
A lot of students can't upgrade to Mavericks yet. My university, for example, uses exam software that's still incompatible with 10.9. The university sent out a notice to all students at the beginning of the semester warning us not to upgrade until next term.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Huh?

Windows 7 is compatible with tons and tons of software. What are you talking about?

I'm talking about Windows 2000! Not 7! :D

----------

Dude, Windows is expensive. I'm not embarrassed to be still on Vista. Why are you embarrassed for me? I don't have a disposable income. Congratulations if you do.

Buy me a 64-bit Windows 7 Professional license and I will upgrade my Vista machine. I'm dirt poor and migrating to Mac and away from PC. My PC just isn't that critical to me any more. It runs what it runs well enough to run away from it when not playing Windows-only games on my also greatly outdated nvidia 8800gtx.

Exactly what you say. It's embarrassing that Windows is so expensive that people are forced to stay with old versions. Windows Vista is full of flaws and while it has been patched there is no reason - other than price - for someone to use it instead of Windows 7 or XP, which are both better OSs. And price should not be such a big obstacle for people to have up-to-date software, as it benefits everyone (less botnets, better software compatibility, etc...). What's embarrassing (not for you, or me, but for Microsoft!) is that they care more about their money than making the world better for their users and the world. MS has a huge responsibility as they dominate the desktop market, they should know better!

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

----------

Exactly what you say. It's embarrassing that Windows is so expensive that people are forced to stay with old versions. Windows Vista is full of flaws and while it has been patched there is no reason - other than price - for someone to use it instead of Windows 7 or XP, which are both better OSs. And price should not be such a big obstacle for people to have up-to-date software, as it benefits everyone (less botnets, better software compatibility, etc...). What's embarrassing (not for you, or me, but for Microsoft!) is that they care more about their money than making the world better for their users and the world. MS has a huge responsibility as they dominate the desktop market, they should know better!

Most people in the Windows world don't go out and buy Windows seperately, especially not for the retail prices.

The big boost is when people buy new hardware. Most OEM built machines come with a copy of windows. Most people stick with that copy of windows on that hardware till it's time to replace hardware.

Apple is different. Apple users tend to replace the OS with a later one more frequently than hardware.

Clubber

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
Windows 7 is a solid OS. My favourite was Windows 2000. Solid and dependable.

That OS was huge, because it merged the 9x (games) and NT (workstation) operating systems. I still have it on a VM somewhere.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Woo hoo!!! I'm part of the 1.53% still on Snow Leopard!

I can't move up until I get a new Macbook as 10.6 is the most up to date Mac OS my 90 month-old Mac book will run. Works just fine for web browsing, etc.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
A lot of students can't upgrade to Mavericks yet. My university, for example, uses exam software that's still incompatible with 10.9. The university sent out a notice to all students at the beginning of the semester warning us not to upgrade until next term.

I don't believe there is software that runs on Mountain Lion that won't run on Mavericks.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Mac adoption just continues to drive higher and higher at the expense of Windows and Linux. I think it will be the dominant computing platform in a few years while of course iOS will dominate the mobile side. These are exciting times to be an Apple consumer.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
No, that's not true. The Mac has an overall marketshare of 7.56%. Much higher than Vista.

That's the comparison of operating systems. Microsoft beats Apple easily.

But now compare computer sales. How many computers does Apple sell, and how many does Microsoft sell?

----------

I don't believe there is software that runs on Mountain Lion that won't run on Mavericks.

Oh well.

When 10.4.10 was released, there was software that wouldn't run because it checked the operating system version, and 10.4.10 is alphabetical before 10.4.2. There's always software that doesn't run, for all kinds of more or less stupid reasons.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
mavericksadoptionnovember.jpg

Hahahahahahahahaaaaa

Hoooohohoohohohooohooooooo

Hahahahahahaha

etc

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

----------

That makes more sense. I never used 2000, though. I had ME.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Wow. Even "Other" outpaces OSX. :eek:

This is what consumer-oriented products gets you.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Funny that Win 8 is 6.66%.

I still use XP in my virtual machine and on a some dedicated task PCs. Works well enough and little reason to upgrade since they run the one or two apps fine.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Funny that Win 8 is 6.66%.

I still use XP in my virtual machine and on a some dedicated task PCs. Works well enough and little reason to upgrade since they run the one or two apps fine.

I like using XP in a virtual machine because it uses < 1gb of ram. Makes it more tolerable than 7/8 on my macbook with only 8gb.

With nothing running it's only like 200-300mb. I play poker and with all the HUD tools open (postgres) + 2 tables I still only hit around 600-700mb.

I can't stand the way OSX uses virtual memory, so this is a big deal to me. (Why the F does OSX swap to disk when you run out of free space instead of purging the "inactive" memory and using that ?!!?!?!?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.