Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Proud Liberal

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2005
Unfortunately, this news doesn't excite me. I have a HUGE music collection that I want with me at ALL times (please - for the 13-18 year old crowd on this forum: don't tell me that I can't possibly ever listen to all that music. It's not for you to decide how I use MY iPod. I'm a business traveler & don't have time to decide what 8GBs of music I'm going to take with me from trip to trip. Nor do I want to.) Therefore, the thought of Apple going to NAND flash for all their iPods only means 1 thing: smaller capacity iPods. That's not an option for me. Nor is it negotiable. If they go this route, they will lose a segment of their customer base that IS willing to pay premium prices for a high capacity player.

I also have the iPhone. Steve Jobs once said that it's the "best iPod" they've ever designed. I have to disagree. While I like what they've done with the iPod interface on the iPhone, for some reason they decided to eliminate the "Shuffle-->Albums" feature that is on the 5G iPod. I specifically switched to the iPod for that very feature. I listen to mostly full albums, in a random order. On the iPhone there is no way to do this. Why eliminate a feature? Doesn't make sense to me.

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
I think that porting versions of OS X to the entire iPod family (except the Shuffle, of course) would MUCH better explain the Leopard delay than the explanation of just tweaking the iPhone's version of Mac OS X.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Unfortunately, this news doesn't excite me. I have a HUGE music collection that I want with me at ALL times (please - for the 13-18 year old crowd on this forum: don't tell me that I can't possibly ever listen to all that music. It's not for you to decide how I use MY iPod. I'm a business traveler & don't have time to decide what 8GBs of music I'm going to take with me from trip to trip. Nor do I want to.) Therefore, the thought of Apple going to NAND flash for all their iPods only means 1 thing: smaller capacity iPods. That's not an option for me. Nor is it negotiable. If they go this route, they will lose a segment of their customer base that IS willing to pay premium prices for a high capacity player.

Very interesting post. The high capacity is why I bought my iPod in the first place. The idea of picking 10-20 songs (which is what I was doing with my first mp3 player) wasn't that far removed from making mixed tapes every couple of days. And the Creative Jukebox, despite its horrible appearance, nearly got my business at one point. I also like to have all of my music-- or as much as possible-- with me at all times. Yes, they should have at least one iPod for people like us. Jam that new 160 GB puppy into it and use flash for the lower-end models.

-Squire

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
So that iBook, Aluminium PowerBook and G3- Mid range G4 iMac users, can buy an iPod, without replacing their computers!

Easy solution: get a new computer. And besides: Al PB's did have USB2-ports, as did iBook G4. iMacs have had USB2 since 2003.

Phew... Rant over... So firewire support would be nice for those people....

Those people are few and far between, and their numbers are diminishing every passing day.

When I had a iPod Mini G1 I got a chance to use it with both USB2 and FW. UBS was noticeably quicker when transferring songs but FW was really fast when it came to big files over 50MB.

Is it, really? I would guess that USB2 is more than enough to saturate the slow-spinning HD in the iPod.

Most how of have probably noticed how the computer slows down when you're transferring files from the computer to your iPod. That's not the case with FW, it doesn't rely on computer's CPU for the syncing.

CPU's are so fast these days that such slowdowns are neglible at best. I haven't seen those, hell I didn't see them on my 1.25Ghz G4 Mini!

Further more if you have a FW hub connected to a port on the computer the devices connected to the hub will all individually get full bandwidth, where as USB devices sharing a port will share the bandwidth.

I don't have FW-hub, most other people don't have one either.

I'm a firewire africando and wish we would see it in more devices but the problem is Apple's high license fees which makes most manufacturer choose USB instead.

It's not just that, Firewire is simply more difficult do implement than USB is, due to added complexity. It's OK to like FW (hell, I like it myself!), but that still doesn't mean that it should be forcibly shoehorned to places where it's not really needed.

So Firewire obviously makes sense on hard drives and video cameras, because you need that constant speedy transfer of data. With an iPod, you sync once and you're pretty much done. Though with the advent of movies on the music store, as well as more video podcasts, maybe it makes sense to have firewire for these larger files.

Like I said, the HD in the iPod wouldn't be fast enough to really take advantage of the extra bandwidth.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Since all the connectors since the 3G iPods are the same, couldn't you just buy a FireWire cable and use it?

The new iPods don't have internals that support firewire file transfer. Though you can use a firewire cable to charge any iPod with a dock connector.

On a related note, since I don't have my firewire cable anymore, who misses being able to charge your iPod off of firewire while your PowerBook sleeps?

KilGil27

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2006
Philadelphia
thank you... :)

Dear Steve,

I want an iPod with bluetooth stereo headphones, bluetooth syncing, full os x, wi-fi, a pony, a built in tap, an HD TV, and a BLU-RAY player.

Love,

MacRumors Dreamers

Even if all those things were to magically appear, half of you would bitch about the kind of bear that came out of the tap. Many would complain that the HD TV was only 1080i instead of 1080p. Half of you wanted an HD Disk not Blu Ray, and the pony doesn't run fast enough.

When it comes to the iPODs, just remember what Steve said a while back, "It's about the music"

Don't expect too many added features.

I hope a bear doesn't come out of my iPod :eek:

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Put me down for the 25th (a Tuesday) or the 26th September.
O2 contracts (might go on sale/on sale from October 1st), new ipods, new nanos (shuffles either ten or October), Mac Pro bump, possible MacBook bump, iPhone updates, Xserve updates.

kddpop

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Easy solution: get a new computer. And besides: Al PB's did have USB2-ports, as did iBook G4. iMacs have had USB2 since 2003.

actually, not all PB's had USB2. my rev a 12" does not. nor does it have dvi out. those things were added in rev b.

im happy with my new macbook (with USB2) and waiting/hoping for the new large capacity ipods.

~kyle

Rolltideguy77

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I kind of hope the are fullscreen, with customizable backgrounds (wallpapers)similar to what you could do on most cell phones. Perhaps maybe some sort of animation similar to Zune. I also would like to see an FM transmitter as well.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
You know what I love about this? I'm loving how Apple just so easily ports OSX onto any computer or mobile device. Contrast this to say...oh I dunno, Windows CE, which is now being shown up for the useless lump of junk code it is. Six versions. Still rubbish.

That's true.
and there are many devices I'd rather like to see running OS X. GPS systems for instance. I know they are rumored to be in Mercedes cars soon, but I'd like to get a handheld one.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
That's true.
and there are many devices I'd rather like to see running OS X. GPS systems for instance. I know they are rumored to be in Mercedes cars soon, but I'd like to get a handheld one.

Perhaps GPS is their next venture, since they're rumored to come out with another line of digital devices in 2008. Handheld GPS as well as working with car manufacturers to get all of that integrated in. Who needs iPod connectivity (though I'm sure it'll be there) when you can use Wi-Fi and have your GPS sync with iTunes everytime you park in the driveway.

dlastmango

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
West Coast - FLORIDA
What does OS X in an iPod mean?

What would this allow us to do with our ipods? would this be a small tablet with wi-fi internet? I know we'll have to wait to find out...:(
Chris

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I think that porting versions of OS X to the entire iPod family (except the Shuffle, of course) would MUCH better explain the Leopard delay than the explanation of just tweaking the iPhone's version of Mac OS X.

Really?

I would have thought that if they're going down this road, they'll have wiped the table clean on the previous iPod hardware, and built up as much of a common platform as they could (CPU type, logic chipset, Flash or HDD... you know, the underlying architecture).

Then, the act of "porting" OS X from the iPhone to the next generation iPod would be limited to removing the non-applicable features and then "tweaking" the user interface to the unique characteristics appropriate to each form factor's human/computer interface.

The massive engineering effort would have gone into getting OS X to boot on their ARM architecture in the first place, and that was taken care of under the umbrella of the iPhone project.

(except the Shuffle, of course)
Who's to say that the Shuffle wouldn't also benefit from the addition of OS X? The vast majority of the stuff going on in a typical OS is totally independent from what's visible on the screen at any point in time.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
It better not have a click wheel anymore. It has to be full touch screen.

Why? Multi-touch is only useful when you have a variety of different interfaces.

An iPod needs a click wheel because it basically does one function- and a tactile interface is an important part of that (controlling music in your bag, pocket etc.)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the current promotion for students to get a free nano with the purchase of a laptop.

It ends september 16, probably around when a new one would be announced. Apple has announced new ipods around the end of this promotion in the past.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
YES THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! :):D;)

I cannot wait to ditch my 4th gen for a full screen! They say up to 4 new models, so that could mean Shuffle, Nano, Full Screen, and a new model? Perhaps maybe a NAND regular size model with a click wheel? Oh the possibilities! I'm so excited :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.