Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryC

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
North America
Why is the OS name plural anyway? OS X releases have always had singular names... Tiger, Panther, Lion, Leopard, etc... now... Mavericks?

OS X Maverick would have sounded nicer.

Also, moving from felines to livestock? Kind of a downgrade I think...

I think of it more as a move from cats to horses. I like that better.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Even though os x mavericks was named after the place called mavericks, that place was actually named after a dog called maverick.

dankedieter

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
Munich, Germany
You could sense in the keynote and even see it in Tims face.. Apple is definitely going full force and I couldnt help but smile for for most part..

A little confession
I even clapped when I saw the iOS 7 vid even though I was home alone

Me too, plus a bit of excited yelling. Probably sounded like I was watching the superbowl.

The only part of the keynote I felt was lacking was during the iworks running on icloud presentation. Never seen that guy before but definitely could use some practice presenting.

lpetrich

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2009
As to codenames, I'd expected Apple to use other notable big land carnivores. I was inspired by Kodiak, an early OSX codename. Let's see:

Grizzly
Wolf
Hyena
Alligator
Crocodile
Komodo Dragon
Python
Eagle

As to support for 68K and PowerPC architectures, that can be done by emulating those architectures, as Apple has done in the past. Either by running 68K code alongside PPC code or PPC code alongside x86 code. But a simpler approach is to create virtual machines that run the old architectures and that run old versions of the MacOS inside of them. That's how Apple had handled MacOS Classic in MacOS X, though Apple had run the PowerPC version of MacOS Classic that way.

It would certainly be nice if Apple offered some virtual-machine app that could run 68K and PPC MacOS Classic, and perhaps also PPC MacOS X. While we are at it, it might also be nice to throw in some Apple II emulation.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It would certainly be nice if Apple offered some virtual-machine app that could run 68K and PPC MacOS Classic, and perhaps also PPC MacOS X. While we are at it, it might also be nice to throw in some Apple II emulation.

That is not Apple's way. Never look back was Job's mantra and I doubt that Cook will change it. There are plenty of G5s available on eBay for those who need to run plenty of OSX PPC or Classic applications and Sheepshaver still works on Mountain Lion for those with one or two they still need.

Apple is concentrating on what makes the most money for the shareholders. Supporting legacy applications would be a step in the opposite direction.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Good AppNap.. The first thing i'm going to do, is see if i can disable it...

I have a feeling these will cheese me off with Apple's default apps.

I don't want stuff to slow down at all .. period...... I want control myself. EVen if its Apple's "best intention" for battery.....

ANother thing, is, this looks like its only "per app" basis, which is gonna be a pain, as there may not be a global setting in System Preferences for all default Apple apps.

Thirdly, regardless, this better be on battery only, not when plugged into power either...

Looks by the redesigned Battery menu, I doubt any of this is possible at all, but no doubt someone will come out with an app later...

They always do...

The new truck icon is a laugh.........

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
You can also run snow leopard server under vmware fusion in mavericks to run the os x ppp apps. I think parallels desktop will be updated soon to be compatible with mavericks as well.

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Support for machines from 2007 is pretty impressive.

well my imac has intel core 2 due 64 bit processor and 2007 MacBooks have that as well, so why not? 2007 imac with ssd runs pretty much close to my 2012 mba. as long as i don't encode videos or do heavy stuff anyway. so finally apple being NON-apple trying to sell more iphones 5 just for airdrop capability.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
The new Dock looks pathetic. But following the hideous iOS 7, it is no surprise that the MacOS will be destroyed as well...

New dock? Nope. Same old dock from 10.5, almost 3 versions ago. iOS 7 isn't hideous. If it's hideous so it Android and WinPhone and every other phone on the planet. Anything else?

----------

I'm surprised Apple didn't give Mavericks the same "flat" look that IOS7 will have. That would've been cool, IMO.

That would require a systemwide change. I guess they didn't have time to do it all by WWDC. They had to focus on iOS 7.

----------

so finally apple being NON-apple trying to sell more iphones 5 just for airdrop capability.

ahem... no design changes? no activation lock? no iTunes Radio? no background app updates? no Audio-only FaceTime calls? no new Inclinometer? no advanced photo sharing?

You are right. Apple is just trying to sell new phones only with new airdrop functionality.

Swealesy

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Notification position?

Seeing as a lot of work has been put into updating notifications, does anybody know whether the really annoying lack of notification position configuration has been addressed?

Surely new functionality wouldn't have been added to notifications without this being resolved?

Likewise for lack of configuration option on the reminders snooze duration?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Finder tabs

Regarding this, based on WWDC keynote, they mentioned (and demoed) about merging Finder tabs from multiple already open windows into a single window.

But how about getting into Finder from initially ?

As if you need multiple windows open first just to have tabs in Finder,its gonna be a bit cumbersome.

Basically, creating new tab in a single Finder Window... This would also be good. Much like you can do the same in Safari now.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Support for machines from 2007 is pretty impressive.

For some reason my quad core Xeon won't install Mt Lion so I probably can't run Mavericks. I'm stuck at Lion. :\ It would be nice if apple could get all the desktops unified like ios6.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Ha it will run on my 2009 uMB but I am still running the original OSX SL...lol

I am not sure it is even worth updating this system, however I will most likely run it on my 2012 Base 13" MBP.

No one has seen minimum requirements have they? Apple has not published much on the OS other than it will run on some 2007 systems and later?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
When it comes to power saving and slowing the background app slows down in the keynote while the front-most app gets all the attention, Apple's only doing this mainly cos Flash is still around.

HTML5 wouldn't need power saving feature in the OS. Something will probably improve here.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Way to make me feel really old, dude.

Well, you've been here a while too. We're both getting old. ;)

You're not the only old members here...:)

Also, I'm glad that linen is gone. 2005? I would've guessed 2008, but it suppose does feel like we've been living with it for almost a decade.

lukarak

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2011
My Macbook Late 2007 is about to hit 6 years old. It would be flawless short of all the scratched plastic if the battery had not decided to explode. $100 I could put toward a new notebook there. I edit my podcast on that machine.

My late 2007 MB is a beast with 120 GB SSD, 500 GB HDD, 6 GB of ram, boots in 15 secs, runs Win 7 with VMWare, Apple replaced the cracked topcase, so it's in premium condition. And is stuck on Lion :(:(

I would really like just one Mavericks function, and that's the multiple desktop feature.

myhaksown

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
I don't know if anyone has tried yet but the final Macbook (7,1) does work with 10.9 . I noticed that the regular Macbook wasn't listed.

Attachments

• 10.9 on 7,1.jpg
    10.9 on 7,1.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 134

devianter

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
New dock? Nope. Same old dock from 10.5, almost 3 versions ago. iOS 7 isn't hideous. If it's hideous so it Android and WinPhone and every other phone on the planet. Anything else?

----------

That would require a systemwide change. I guess they didn't have time to do it all by WWDC. They had to focus on iOS 7.

----------

ahem... no design changes? no activation lock? no iTunes Radio? no background app updates? no Audio-only FaceTime calls? no new Inclinometer? no advanced photo sharing?

You are right. Apple is just trying to sell new phones only with new airdrop functionality.

Look i love apple as much as the next guy and own anything from macs to ipads but you gotta admit apple loves to just cut some functionalities even if the system is fully capable of running those functionalities. The airdrop was just ONE example. It's happened before and will happen again, nothing we can do about it. I can live with that, but i can as well criticised them for that. I paid my money, i can express my opinion. You don't have to listen to it nor even read it. Go on with your life and leave ME alone, angry fanboy. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they'll cut the 2007 machines from the final release. Why? Because.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Would be nice to have the option to install it though. I have customers with well over a GB of useless data / applications on their iOS devices that they don't even access / need. Having the option of Offline mode at the price of 1GB or less wouldn't bother me with my 32 and 64gb devices.

Definitely! I have a 16GB iPhone 4 right now, which is constantly maxed for space.... but I'm upgrading to whatever they release later this year if i can, and I'm definitely not going anywhere below 32GB. In that case, a gig for offline Siri is worth it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
You can do custom tags, it's pretty easy actually, you click on the file, then the tags button and just type in whatever you want. It seems to automatically recognize the iCloud tag as what's in your iCloud too, so the tagging system seems somewhat intelligent.

Excellent! Thanks for the info :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.