Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Regarding this, based on WWDC keynote, they mentioned (and demoed) about merging Finder tabs from multiple already open windows into a single window.

But how about getting into Finder from initially ?

As if you need multiple windows open first just to have tabs in Finder,its gonna be a bit cumbersome.

Basically, creating new tab in a single Finder Window... This would also be good. Much like you can do the same in Safari now.

View > Show tab bar - this shows tab bar with only one tab - although I don’t see why you need it when you can command T to open a tab as you would normally anyway even without the tab bar showing.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
The plain notes and calendars make me sad :(

Can't we get a little colour? It's the same with Google Docs; so plain. What was wrong with the old notes and calendars? :(

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Dock looks the same. iOS 7 isn't hideous. Got anything else?

Glad you cleared that up! Just because you don't think iOS 7 is ugly doesn't mean it isn't. It needs some serious work. Way too much white. A lot of the icons are trash. Messages looks terrible.

sessamoid

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
Glad you cleared that up! Just because you don't think iOS 7 is ugly doesn't mean it isn't. It needs some serious work. Way too much white. A lot of the icons are trash. Messages looks terrible.

I must have missed the part where it was a finished product already. What we've seen is a preview, a sign of things to come. It's not the end of the journey.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011

Can't we get a little colour? It's the same with Google Docs; so plain. What was wrong with the old notes and calendars? :(

What are you talking about? The calendar is full of colours, look at the days. The only colorless parts are the ones that don't need to be emphasized, because they carry no information. I think this is the good direction.

BTW in my opinion the ugliest part of ML that needs to be changed is Reminders. Just look at it... actually, it is so ugly, that I never use it only because it's freakin ugly. :rolleyes:

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
You need your eyes examined. And yes, Jony Ive is responsible for it.

You need your brain examined. As we know now icons were created by marketing team. I won't be surprised if Ive denies his responsibility. It's so hard to acknowledge your own mistakes.

Last edited:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Look i love apple as much as the next guy and own anything from macs to ipads but you gotta admit apple loves to just cut some functionalities even if the system is fully capable of running those functionalities. The airdrop was just ONE example. It's happened before and will happen again, nothing we can do about it. I can live with that, but i can as well criticised them for that. I paid my money, i can express my opinion. You don't have to listen to it nor even read it. Go on with your life and leave ME alone, angry fanboy. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they'll cut the 2007 machines from the final release. Why? Because.

So you are basically saying I'm not entitled having an opinion different to others and disagree with people's comments? I paid my money, I can express my opinion. You don't have to listen to it nor even read it.

BTW I was just pointing out some great features that you seemed to miss. Sorry if I was too harsh for you. :D

----------

They don't sell. People complain. The old notes and calendars look old. People want a fresh new look once in a while. But I agree there should be more colors on iOS 7.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
No, yes, yes.

Why no? Because the current beta has many issues, not only internal but with third-party apps. It's a beta for a reason. Perhaps by DP3 or so it'll be good enough for main usage, even then though its not recommended since there can always be rather big bugs lying within.

I'd recommend you give it a try on a separate partition, and try the apps & games you can't go without. And also test out the overall stability.

Personally I'm someone who always likes to test beta software just for the heck of it, and I generally run it as my main OS, obviously I always back up my files using Time Machine.

Contacts looks ... in one word... White.

Coverflow in finder: Still there.

Another thing: Rubberband scrolling is gone. Or is it because I changed the defaults?

Installing the developer preview as the main OS: Bad idea. Because: Because.
Yesterday I took the risk and installed 10.9 DP1 over 10.8. Luckily NO issues, except of some applications and plugins couldn't run. It surprises me that almost everything works fine so far, even my giant Mailbox. Sure, many bugs here and there. One is really annoying: scrolling through the left mailbox-bar in Mail is almost impossible. Every time you scroll down, it gets up again. But it's a beta, right? ;)

And tags aren't working. Clicking them on the Finders sidebar gives an Internal Error. Is it just me? Tagging was my reason for the installation! :D

FINALLY no stupid leather and paper in Contacts, Notes and Calendar! Love it!

I did the installation just because I have two hard drives, one for the OS, the other one for all my files and the home folder. Else I would never risk that.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
As to codenames, I'd expected Apple to use other notable big land carnivores. I was inspired by Kodiak, an early OSX codename. Let's see:

Grizzly
Wolf
Hyena
Alligator
Crocodile
Komodo Dragon
Python
Eagle

As to support for 68K and PowerPC architectures, that can be done by emulating those architectures, as Apple has done in the past. Either by running 68K code alongside PPC code or PPC code alongside x86 code. But a simpler approach is to create virtual machines that run the old architectures and that run old versions of the MacOS inside of them. That's how Apple had handled MacOS Classic in MacOS X, though Apple had run the PowerPC version of MacOS Classic that way.

It would certainly be nice if Apple offered some virtual-machine app that could run 68K and PPC MacOS Classic, and perhaps also PPC MacOS X. While we are at it, it might also be nice to throw in some Apple II emulation.
That is a great idea.I would love to be able to run Descent in a VM. Uh or I mean that prepress app that only ran on 680xx chips.
I bet a lot of us old coots have boxes of our old Apple software in an attic or basement. Not to mention a "legacy" data that we need to pull up in case of an auditor.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Mountain Lion supports the Mid 2007 17-inch MacBook Pro. Does anyone know why Mavericks drops this support and starts with the Late 2007? Wikipedia says they're both identified as MacBookPro3,1. The only differences appear to be an option for a 2.6GHz CPU and slightly faster/larger hard drive options.

Has anyone actually tried Mavericks on a Mid 2007 17-inch?

The earlier machine supported a max RAM of 3GB, the later machine 4GB.
This suggests that the Northbridge and memory controller changed.
Also different GPU (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT instead of the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600)

- It may be that Mavericks requires 4GB (though my guess is that that's not it; Apple was selling 2GB MBAs until recently).
- It may be that Apple just doesn't want the OS having to bother with the older chipset (more likely).
- It may be that the issue is the GPU. X1600 was not supposed to be supported as part of ML, and if it was that appears to be luck on your part. (most likely)

----------

well my imac has intel core 2 due 64 bit processor and 2007 MacBooks have that as well, so why not? 2007 imac with ssd runs pretty much close to my 2012 mba. as long as i don't encode videos or do heavy stuff anyway. so finally apple being NON-apple trying to sell more iphones 5 just for airdrop capability.

Airdrop requires specific WiFi HW to work because it operates even without a base station present --- that's kinda the point, that it works anywhere.

Airdrop on Macs is exactly the same --- it doesn't work on all Macs, only newer ones which have the appropriate WiFi HW.

----------

I have a 3,1 MacBook (late 2007) and I can see I have 64 bit EFI:

$ ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi
| | "firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">

So... Am I missing something? I've never tried to boot it with 64 bits, though, but I think I can... I'm using Lion right now, and I hate it. Hate it. I'm going back to SL if I can't get Mavericks to work.

What do you think? Should I be able to run Mavericks despite apple's official "support"? I think Mavericks would run just as smoonth as SL on this machine...

That's has Intel GMA X3100 graphics.
The cleanup of Mountain Lion officially dropped machines without UEFI-64 and with older graphics cards. People have hacked ML to run on these machines.

This may or may not mean you could do the same with 10.9. However with each new rev Apple is going to be more aggressive in using HW features guaranteed by the HW specs, without testing for bad compatibility. They may well, for example, just naturally use throughout the UI some OpenGL features which are not supported. The GMA X3100 only supports up to OpenGL 2.0.

----------

I question their definition of "support". Example: my late 2010 MBA is supported by Mountain Lion, but not one of the key new features: Air Play. Buried in the technical notes, it explains that it can not be supported on my machine due to the graphics processor. A 3rd party program (AirParrot) works just fine mirroring my desktop and audio to my aTV.

So while Mavericks may "support" my MBA, I'll be shocked if AirPlay materializes. How knows what other little features are to be left out?

For crying out loud. None of this is secret. AirPlay requires SandyBridge or later because it is using SB to encode the video.
No-one is claiming there aren't other ways to do it. But Apple isn't interested in wasting engineer time figuring out three ways to do the same thing. They choose one way, the way that makes sense going forward, and use the rest of the time for other purposes.

What are you complaining about? You have an alternative, and Apple has ALWAYS been this way --- it's not like this is anything new. You will be able to use large parts of the new stuff in 10.9 --- but you'd rather be unhappy about the 5% of new stuff that you can't use?

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Mid versus Late 2007 17-inch MBP:
The earlier machine supported a max RAM of 3GB, the later machine 4GB.
This suggests that the Northbridge and memory controller changed.
Also different GPU (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT instead of the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600)
Neither of these is true. The Mid 2007 17-inch supports 4GB and has the 8600M GPU. It looks like you're thinking of the Late 2006 models. The Mid and Late 2007 MBPs are practically identical. I have since received confirmation that the Mid 2007 17-inch MBP can boot the 10.9 DP release.

mklprc

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Revised Safari

I wonder if Apple will finally figure out a way to squash the dreaded "Webpages not responding...force reload all pages" bug that has been a part of it since version 5.1. I can't believe it's hung around this long. Not seen it? Usually it happens if you like to use a lot of tabs and keep open windows in the Dock.

Attachments

• WebpagesNotReloading.jpg
    WebpagesNotReloading.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 113

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
You need your brain examined. As we know now icons were created by marketing team. I won't be surprised if Ive denies his responsibility. It's so hard to acknowledge your own mistakes.

Interesting I was thinking about the same thing last night. I feel that being the head of the HI Team, approving something makes him just as much responsible.

JBCaver

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
I know this thread is a tad old, but my battery life on my 11.6" MBA has increased by about an hour and a half running Mavericks. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but when you consider it's only imbedded software that's utilizing the resources more efficiently, and it's a Beta software, that's pretty amazing. I'm also running iOS 7, and for my own personal experience, it's running great (knock on wood!). Anyways, thought I'd share my two cents. I do know that in OS X Mav, in the Maps app, I am not currently able to upload driving directions to my iPhone. The developer seed info stated that some users wouldn't be able too, so I'll try that feature later!!

MACRM32

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Portugal
I've tried it for two days, and so far, here's what I noticed:

• Safari seems to hang for a second whenever you open a link on a new tab
  • Skype started crashing when starting a conversation, after updating to the most recent version
  • Battery seems to have increased a full hour, from 3:30h to 4:30h
  • iBooks is nowhere to be seen
  • Maps works pretty well
  • Overall performance seems faster, especially opening Mission Control

Dankex

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
name99 said:
That's has Intel GMA X3100 graphics.
The cleanup of Mountain Lion officially dropped machines without UEFI-64 and with older graphics cards. People have hacked ML to run on these machines.

This may or may not mean you could do the same with 10.9. However with each new rev Apple is going to be more aggressive in using HW features guaranteed by the HW specs, without testing for bad compatibility. They may well, for example, just naturally use throughout the UI some OpenGL features which are not supported. The GMA X3100 only supports up to OpenGL 2.0.

That is true. I'm running Lion right now on this MacBook 3,1 with 4GB RAM and it sucks. Will go back to SL IF I can't upgrade to Mavericks. I couldn't install Mountain Lion, so I won't probably be able to do so with Mavericks without some hacking. Will try this out in a few weeks with the Beta version that is floating around.

From all I could see, Mavericks is even lighter than ML, so it should work ok with my old MacBook IF it supports OpenGL 2.0 system wide too. Will have to test it myself or wait for others feedback (if you could point me some threads, that would be great). :)

Thanks for the input.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
As to codenames, I'd expected Apple to use other notable big land carnivores. I was inspired by Kodiak, an early OSX codename. Let's see:

It would certainly be nice if Apple offered some virtual-machine app that could run 68K and PPC MacOS Classic, and perhaps also PPC MacOS X. While we are at it, it might also be nice to throw in some Apple II emulation.

Lemonade Stand and Zork for all!

----------

That is true. I'm running Lion right now on this MacBook 3,1 with 4GB RAM and it sucks. Will go back to SL IF I can't upgrade to Mavericks. I couldn't install Mountain Lion, so I won't probably be able to do so with Mavericks without some hacking. Will try this out in a few weeks with the Beta version that is floating around.

From all I could see, Mavericks is even lighter than ML, so it should work ok with my old MacBook IF it supports OpenGL 2.0 system wide too. Will have to test it myself or wait for others feedback (if you could point me some threads, that would be great). :)

Thanks for the input.

If you can't run ML you won't run Mavericks... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.