Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
Sorry, but this seems a bit harsh to me. It seems nuts to me that you could have a computer you bought in 2008 and have it not work with the latest OS. Anything less than 5 years is too much.

ncianca

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
very fair.

this is why im on the verge of jumping ship entirely to apple.

my notebook is a sony vaio and support has been weak.

have they invented two button mouses yet in the apple world? :p

In fact they got rid of the only one they still had.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Of Course Apple Declined To Comment "Why"..

Planned obsolescence drives HW sales. And if you just state the truth there will be @#$% to pay. When I invest in a computing device I want it to be able to stay current for a MINIMUM of 5 years.

Clearly Apple has a different "minimum" in mind for most of its computing devices.:eek:

And since the trend is away from DIY upgrades/part replacements...we are even more at the mercy of the computer industry. If they ever get to one year disposable devices, hopefully we will be able to trade them in for a sizable down payment to get the latest and greatest.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Not a big deal. They are dropping support for computers 4-5 years old.
I would love to see my old single core windows xp computer handle windows 8.

Does it meet these specs?

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
People can't legitimately expect to receive the newest updates on machines that are 3+ years old.

Some people can, I call them Windows/linux users. As long as you have a decently speced machine ( fast single core, early dual core, at least 2gb of ram and a 6k series or better gpu. ), there's no reason a 7 year old machine can't run windows 7. And hell, windows xp is still patched and supported 10 years later.

The only real reason most of these machines can't run 10.8 is because apple says so.

Your Mac must be one of the following models:

- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

Really??? So the Mac Pro is given the same treatment as the Generic "Macbook" line? And is given worse support than the iMac and MBP? I feel sorry for Mac Pro buyers... Apple really hates you. I'm pretty sure the Mac Pro has only been refreshed once since it's "Early 2008 or newer"

Edit: ok twice. And no, I don't count that "update" last month...

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
have they invented two button mouses yet in the apple world? :p

Apple decided that one button was already one too many, so they've gone to the no-button mouse, instead.

Next up: the keyless keyboard

----------

what about my Powerbook? that was 64bit, i should be able to run it on that

You need to have a PowerBook G5 to run Mountain Lion, sorry.

jmggs

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
People can't legitimately expect to receive the newest updates on machines that are 3+ years old.

Planed obsolescence :mad:
That why like Linux a lot. I have a Pentium 4 Server that runs like hell the last version of Linux and rocks! :D

A 3+ years old computer is not so old to run updated software. Windows 7 can run pretty good in 6 years old or more PC.

That's why i think Apple don't care about environment. They want force people to buy and buy new gear trashing away very capable gear.

This starts to make remember a time that my mobile phone broken and i go assistance and the guy said that phone it's old...that phone was released 6 months ago!!!!

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Apple apparently decided that it was not worth investing the resources to upgrade those drivers to 64-bit in order to support OS X Mountain Lion
How much resources does one have to invest to update a bunch of drivers? :rolleyes:

What's particularly irritating about this is that lion wasn't a good os, ml is supposed to offer fixes and enhancements (a would say it's a service pack, but some will disagree).

Apple had us update to lion on our older macs, suffer them slowing down, being less capable, less responsive and more buggy, and now a year later when they release what's supposed to be a better os, that some say brings things up to par with snow leopard they are withholding this from us.

I had been using mobileme, I was paying dearly for very mediocre (by SJ's admission) service. Apple moved to the free icloud and I felt compelled to upgrade mostly because I wanted mm functionality that I couldn't have in sl.

Now after a year suffering through lion, apple tells me to eff off, because they don't think they can spare the "resources" to support my computer....

Is this guy for real? Windows 8 will run on machines that are 7+ years old....

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Whoah, bad news for me using a 3.0 2x dual core mac pro tower maybe.

Kinda pisses me off my mac pro may not get new osx, especially when there isn't a proper new mac pro. Apple ought not release osx that won't work on semi recent models. Pretty bad for customers. Could be an reason to upgrade... To a windows workstation

Well, if you're pondering Windows, just save yourself the money for a new machine (guessing your Mac Pro runs just fine at this point) and install Windows 7 on your Mac Pro and you'll get security updates through 2020.

SleeplessChaos

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
On the plus side, there will probably be decently significant price drops on quite a few good macs that can still run lion and snow leopard.

Definitely nothing like the old Power PC prices for the time being, but the perceived value of these older macs is bound to go down considering that they'll be left out of every major OS update from here on out.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Bad news...

Bugger, I was going to run ML Server on one of my early Intel Xserves... would be a great web/wiki server... some nice features coming up in ML...

alas this machine, is now stuck in the OS X black hole...

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
juuust under the wire

I have an aluminum macbook ('08). Looks like this might be the last new OS for it. Considering it's four years old in a few months, I can't complain too much. I have a little more time to sell this unit to finance an upgrade.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
I'm pretty certain a few years ago people used to say "5+ years", by 2015 are people going to be saying "People can't legitimately expect to receive the newest updates on machines that are the last generation."

I agree, when I buy a pc I usually go full out and expect it to last around 5 years (3-4 on a laptop depending on battery). 3 years is short for modern day standards especially if you buy top of the range and bump ram.

russofris

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012

Longevity (when compared with a Windows PC) is one of the reasons many of us purchase a Mac. While I hate assigning arbitrary numbers to something as intangible as OS Support, 3 seems low.

That said, I hope they maintain Lion for another year or two as they did with PPC/10.5.

F

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
Whoah, bad news for me using a 3.0 2x dual core mac pro tower maybe.

Kinda pisses me off my mac pro may not get new osx, especially when there isn't a proper new mac pro. Apple ought not release osx that won't work on semi recent models. Pretty bad for customers. Could be an reason to upgrade... To a windows workstation

And then what? If you are on a Mac, then you must prefer the platform. So in a year, when Apple releases actually new Mac Pros, are you going to switch back, or remain on Windows out of spite?

The question that you really must ask yourself is "what is in Mountain Lion that I need to have before next year? Does Windows provide that feature in Mountain Lion that I absolute need?"

And I'm not being a fanboy here - switching platforms for a temporary inconvenience is pretty stupid no matter which platform you prefer.

Itpirate

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
NC
That stinks! I can upgrade my 08 iMac, but not my 2007 Mac Pro? My Mac Pro can run circles around my iMac.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.