Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I rather third party companies sell these than Apple. Apple would not pass on the cost savings to its customers, they'd add another 20-50% markup just to ensure a high profit margin.

It would have been nice to at least have the option, though. This computer has been out for an entire year and this is the first time you've been able to upgrade the SSD (unless you wanted to buy those possibly stolen parts off eBay)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'd like to know exactly what SSD's they are using because my 256GB SSD is much faster than what they advertise their 1TB drive to be.

From their page :

Performance

Read: 730MB/s
Write: 698MB/s

------------------------

My Mac Pro :

This just taken from my 1 TB SSD That Apple Installed.

Wonder why OWC Price is higher.

What stress level did you run yours at?
This is my 1tb drive from apple on the 5 gig

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 11.52.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 11.52.41 PM.png
    787 KB · Views: 138

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I doubt 2TB SSDs will come out for consumers in 2015. I expect 2016 at the very least when the fabs scale up.

Samsung is the leader on 3D NAND memory and they generally have 6+ month lead on competitors. They just released their first 3D NAND product, 850 EVO...
The 850 EVO is not the first. The 850 PRO was the first Samsung SSD for customers which contained/contains 3D NAND memory.

Samsung said:
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/news-events/press-releases/detail?newsId=13541

“Seoul, Korea on Jul. 1. 2014

Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., the world leader in advanced memory technology, today launched the 850 PRO, a new solid state drive (SSD) line-up featuring Samsung's cutting-edge three-dimensional (3D) vertical NAND (V-NAND) flash memory technology...”

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
A properly designed SSD doesn't need trim support. Trim is a low cost half assed solution to a problem better handled by the drive itself.
That is just an assertion without substance. Of course, you know more about SSDs and flash memory than the engineers behind the SATA and TRIM command specification and all SSD manufacturers + firmware developers together. :rolleyes:

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
nMP(6): 3Tb Fusion Drive?

It would have been nice to at least have the option, though. This computer has been out for an entire year and this is the first time you've been able to upgrade the SSD..

Any ideas why there is no 3Tb Fusion Drive option for the nMP(6)? They managed to squeeze one into the iMac, so it does not seem to be due to space/size limitations. http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6406/ipad-mini-150_575px.jpg

Maybe OWC could fill that gap too.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Are there people out there that find buying $3000 MacPro and then adding a $1000 storage reasonable ?

I hear same spec wintel machines can be found much cheaper. I guess it makes a big difference when you are running a firm and you need to buy 10 of those.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Are there people out there that find buying $3000 MacPro and then adding a $1000 storage reasonable?.

What you have to remember is that these machines are intended to be put to work, these are not your simple home/desktop system. This would be by freelancers or small business owners, and a lot of the cost of something like this is tax deductible for them (either in VAT or Income Tax).

So yeah, paying out an extra $1000 isn't really an issue.

jduncan

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2014
Can someone please explain to me why Apple decided to only put a storage bay on the back of ONE of the Pro's GPUs? It's baffled me from day one and I've still yet to find an answer.

It as combination of two facts:
1. Apple decided to design a pro workstation with only one CPU slot.
2. Intel does not have actual competency to Xeon, so they keep it with minimal investment and old architectures.

Why is so?
1. Each Xeon has only 40 lanes of PCIe. So if apple wants hight performance flash they have to accommodate for the lanes they have. So it will be (2) 16 Lanes for the graphics cards, and 4 for the PCIe flash storage and 4 for all the rest including 3 thunderbolt controllers. This decision by Apple has other negative connotations like low clock rate of the 12 core option (it could be tow 3.5ghz 6 cores). In the other hand it keeps power and costs down and the next generation Xeon will have up to 18 cores.

2. Even some personal computer chips on the Intel line have 40 PCIe lanes, so, one will have expected that since they keep Xeons one or two generations bellow their best, they will improve server related things. Memory bandwidth and IO are key performance components of server and workstation performance.They do not improve either. Go to intel ARC and you will see that Xeon supports lots of memory but is "low speed" memory. Some costumer processors also support 64GB of 1866 memory per socket.

Since Apple is not changing the mac pro enclosure any time soon, what we really need is AMD to launch a competitive server platform (unlikely).

Last edited:

jduncan

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2014
I'd like to know exactly what SSD's they are using because my 256GB SSD is much faster than what they advertise their 1TB drive to be.

From their page :

Performance

Read: 730MB/s
Write: 698MB/s

------------------------

My Mac Pro :

Probably a crappy 2 Lane PCIe that is common in the PC word. They should have gone 4PCIe lanes even is more expensive. But they wanted to "look" like a cheaper alternative when they are not. Even the price difference is not that big. If you buy the 1TB option for the mac pro you get a SSD that is around 30% faster
and you pay 100$ less. Of course then you don't have the 256GB ssd but a 256GB ssd is about 100$ so what's the point again ? It's only for people that did not but enough storage to begin with and maybe for some that want fully internal storage even if it means a slow one.

The only good part is that they cracked the interface.

Apple is been stupid with the trim stuff. They are becoming Microsoft like trying to force crap into users. An example: they try to force people to sync the iPhones via the then subpar net services (blocking USB). For a time it was easier to sync the iPhone with with a Windows machine.

The discontinuation of Aperture is other point, Apple can have a product that is not rentable. But a new story of trowing pros under the rug (Shake anyone?) point in one direction: Should a company invest in FCPx?

I understand that Adobe use Photoshop's monopolistic power all the time (quarkxpress, Macromedia, Apple Aperture) but they should have move the cost to the Mac division or give Photos all the power that Aperture has now even if they leave the pro market to Adobe.

Best regards,

Last edited:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Deleting post so that this doesn't confuse later since I have been corrected!

Last edited:

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Go to their page, it specifically states it is compatible with the 2013-2014 Macbooks as well as the 2013 iMac's and newest Mac Mini

----------

Yes their page specifically states they are compatible.

This is incorrect, it says it's compatible with the OWC Envoy Pro, which is a USB 3.0 external drive. But who knows, the actual PCIe SSD will probably work on all other PCIe based Macs.

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
native trim support ?
Guess. ;)

A properly designed SSD doesn't need trim support. Trim is a low cost half assed solution to a problem better handled by the drive itself.
Educate yourself how GC works, educate yourself about its shortcomings regarding filesystems and deleted files, and finally educate yourself how TRIM is mitigating these shortcominigs and why GC without TRIM is not a viable alternative.

Then reevalute your posting.

Have a nice day. :)

PS: If TRIM really were a "low cost half assed solution", why is Apple enabling it for all its SSDs? ;)

smalm

macrumors newbie
I actually think they ran out of PCI Express lanes.[...]
If you look at the GPU cards, at least some of the early released pictures, it actually looks like they had the intention of putting an SSD on each card.

Yes every PCIe lane is used.

I think the new PCIe SSD generation became much faster than Apple expected and they went from a two slot PCIe x2 design to a one slot PCIe x4 design.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
This is incorrect, it says it's compatible with the OWC Envoy Pro, which is a USB 3.0 external drive. But who knows, the actual PCIe SSD will probably work on all other PCIe based Macs.

You are correct. I missed the fact that it was under the Envoy Pro section. Thank you for correcting me!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I saw 2TB SSD in the title and jumped out of my seat...until I saw 'for mac pro'.
I have been waiting so long for a macbook pro 2TB SSD. ADATA promised one in the 4th quarter of this year at two tech events (one in Janurary and one in June). Still no 2TB SSD for laptops by any company! :(

I agree, but I honestly think it may have to do with price. After a certain point, no one will want to drop that kind of bread on a 2TB laptop unless they are a power users and/or have the disposable income. Other than that it's enterprise, which would eat that kind of drive up, but then the price would no doubt sky rocket above even the $1500 price for this 2TB.

I don't like the prices, but given that someone could buy the Mac Pro then upgrade it's a welcomed addition.

Although I'd rather buy the right drive at the time of purchase.

My tinkering days are pretty much over.

dashpuppy

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
I guess if they are making the Mac-Pro larger SSD's then i bet they will be releasing larger ones for the MacBook-Pro :)

Id love to buy a mac pro :(

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
Where are the graphics cards upgrades for the 2013 Mac Pro? ;-(
Hopefully, we will see nVIDIA graphics for the Mac Pro now that their Maxwell architecture is out. It would really be nice if they released cards like the Titan Black (unlocked CUDA cores) so people using Blender can use the Cycles Render engine.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
It as combination of two facts:
1. Apple decided to design a pro workstation with only one CPU slot.
2. Intel does not have actual competency to Xeon, so they keep it with minimal investment and old architectures.

Why is so?
1. Each Xeon has only 40 lanes of PCIe. So if apple wants hight performance flash they have to accommodate for the lanes they have. So it will be (2) 16 Lanes for the graphics cards, and 4 for the PCIe flash storage and 4 for all the rest including 3 thunderbolt controllers. This decision by Apple has other negative connotations like low clock rate of the 12 core option (it could be tow 3.5ghz 6 cores). In the other hand it keeps power and costs down and the next generation Xeon will have up to 18 cores.

2. Even some personal computer chips on the Intel line have 40 PCIe lanes, so, one will have expected that since they keep Xeons one or two generations bellow their best, they will improve server related things. Memory bandwidth and IO are key performance components of server and workstation performance.They do not improve either. Go to intel ARC and you will see that Xeon supports lots of memory but is "low speed" memory. Some costumer processors also support 64GB of 1866 memory per socket.

Since Apple is not changing the mac pro enclosure any time soon, what we really need is AMD to launch a competitive server platform (unlikely).

Got it - thanks!

AndyUnderscoreR

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Can someone please explain to me why Apple decided to only put a storage bay on the back of ONE of the Pro's GPUs? It's baffled me from day one and I've still yet to find an answer.

It's actually quite simple... there's not enough spare processor bandwidth to run another SSD. All the PCIe lanes from the CPU are allocated already.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

----------

I actually think they ran out of PCI Express lanes. If you figure that they used 32 for the GPUs that only leaves 8 for the rest of the entire system. I don't know a lot about the architecture of the Mac Pro so look at this as a guess based on what I know of Xeon.

If you look at the GPU cards, at least some of the early released pictures, it actually looks like they had the intention of putting an SSD on each card.
Anandtech has a good description on how the PCIe lanes are used in the 2013 Mac Pro.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
I just pre-ordered the 2TB. I have been sick of moving stuff back and forth on my 256GB drive.
Then I just looked at the specs and the 2TB is no where near as quick as my current drive. Not sure if I should cancel my order.
I wish Apple would release these to buy separately after you buy the Mac Pro!

Now for buyers remorse to really kick in, Apple will release a 5k Display that is not compatible with 2013 Mac Pros.
I am beginning to feel like I am a Guinea pig and should have waited for gen2 of the new Mac Pro...

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
The 850 EVO is not the first. The 850 PRO was the first Samsung SSD for customers which contained/contains 3D NAND memory.

I stand corrected. 850 Evo is the first 3D NAND SSD to use TLC, the Pro was using MLC. I misunderstood what Anand wrote.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
What you have to remember is that these machines are intended to be put to work, these are not your simple home/desktop system. This would be by freelancers or small business owners, and a lot of the cost of something like this is tax deductible for them (either in VAT or Income Tax).

So yeah, paying out an extra $1000 isn't really an issue.

Can you explain the tax deductible part? If you purchase a mac pro you can get a tax break from your income? how?

I am not an American

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Can you explain the tax deductible part? If you purchase a mac pro you can get a tax break from your income? how?

I am not an American

Neither am I, I just applied the rules of my country (the Netherlands) to the situation.

In my case I buy something like this and claim the VAT back (21%) using what's know as the Kleineondernemersregeling (Small business arrangement). As long as I keep the VAT on my income within a certain threshold I can either not pay VAT at all or only pay a percentage of it. Anything I purchase that is used for my work is then deductible from my income, as it's an investment in my business, and is deductible from my Income Tax Return.

I tend to balance my accounts at the end of each year and work out what I need to buy to reduce the amount of tax I pay. So this $3000 Mac Pro plus this $1000 upgrade wouldn't end up costing me anywhere near $4000.

Here's an example of paying no VAT in the Netherlands. It's in Dutch but pretty straightforward to understand. In the Example the individual has made € 30.000 during the year, and has personally paid out € 5.330 on purchases/expenses for their business. The technically owe € 970 to the Tax Office but using the kleineondernemersregeling the can actually pay 0.

I'd assume that most countries have a similar setup to support small businesses.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.