Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So much for all the whining that these drives couldn't be upgraded.

So how many different SSD form factors is Apple using now? I was under the impression that at least some of them are the same (and I saw an article about switching them between two different mac models and it working fine, although I don't remember which models specifically). Great to see this available but hopefully soon there will be similar options for all mac SSD.

Any ideas why there is no 3Tb Fusion Drive option for the nMP(6)?

Fusion drive is SSD plus a traditional platter hard drive. I'm not surprised they didn't want to put one of those in.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
nMP(6): Why is no 3Tb Fusion Drive available?

Fusion drive is SSD plus a traditional platter hard drive. I'm not surprised they didn't want to put one of those in.
Understood, but there is certainly demand. The most recent iMac(Retina) does offer a very popular 3Tb/Fusion option, so it's alive & kicking. Internal drives are preferable to many. Plus, Fusion Drives provide a smart node - on the good/fast/cheap matrix.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I'd assume that most countries have a similar setup to support small businesses.

So its like, you deduct off your income tax whatever VAT you paid in business equipment.

Interesting, but in the USA they advertise prices without tax. So its probably $1000 SSD is really $1120 after tax. I don't know , but whenever I buy there is always that extra tax later on

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Interesting, but in the USA they advertise prices without tax. So its probably $1000 SSD is really $1120 after tax. I don't know , but whenever I buy there is always that extra tax later on

That's mostly because every state (and often different cities) have individual sales tax rates. Also depends on the time of the year, as some states have limited tax holidays. Some states have no sales tax at all, such as my state, Delaware.

onions

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Understood, but there is certainly demand. The most recent iMac(Retina) does offer a very popular 3Tb/Fusion option, so it's alive & kicking. Internal drives are preferable to many. Plus, Fusion Drives provide a smart node - on the good/fast/cheap matrix.

i don't think you get it. there just isn't enough real estate inside the mac pro to stick a traditional hdd.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Can you explain the tax deductible part? If you purchase a mac pro you can get a tax break from your income? how?

I am not an American

Don't worry, majority of Americans are confused as well because the tax laws are over-complicated and difficult to follow. You actually need a computer software or an accountant to figure out how to file tax returns.

In US, you get taxed on your income (actually three times, federal, state and city). However, you can reduce your taxable income by deducing any expenses you make for your business and you also get some tax breaks on certain purchases (for example for buying locally to benefit local businesses rather than out of state). It's really complicated for many self-employers, small business owners, and so on because each state and city have their own list of deductibles and exemptions.

So, if your income is like $40,000 and you spent $5K on expenses, your taxable income is $35,000, not $40K. That's generally true for federal taxes. If your state has no sales tax, you generally cannot deduct these expenses because you paid no taxes. Your total income is taxed but you get a smaller rate compared to the federal anyway and often, better than some of the states with sales tax. In these states, you paid taxes via the sale taxes and thus, they let you deduct them.

Now, also keep in mind, we do not have flat taxes. So, if you make 100,000$ a year, you're taxed 30-40% while folks at $50,000 level pay 20-30% instead.

So that's why accountants always tell their clients to deduct as much as possible to get the taxable income under $50K (or whatever is possible based in the income, if you game the system, you'll get audited by IRS which is really bad) to get the lower tax rate instead of higher ones.

It is also why many folks are asking for perks at work (think extra days off, vacation pay, etc etc) instead of accepting a pay raise) because these perks does not increase the tax rate and thus may save you more money in the long run. The more you earn, the more taxed you get.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
That's mostly because every state (and often different cities) have individual sales tax rates. Also depends on the time of the year, as some states have limited tax holidays. Some states have no sales tax at all, such as my state, Delaware.

So what happens if I am in Texas, I order from Amazon (lets assume based in New York), but the warehouse it ships from is in California. Which state gets the sales tax money?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So what happens if I am in Texas, I order from Amazon (lets assume based in New York), but the warehouse it ships from is in California. Which state gets the sales tax money?

Modifying your question a little: Which State _wants_ the sales tax? All of them :D
But, using the specifics in your example, maybe no state gets the sales tax.
If you search for "State Tax on Internet Sales" - you'll see that lots of states want their share.
The main distinction seems to be brick and mortar locations - retail locations actually within your state where you, the customer, ultimately make the purchase, and take delivery. Think of Sears, which will have retail locations in every state. You buy or order through Sears. The state collects sales tax, because there's actual retail stores within your state.
Amazon (and other net-only retailers) are not as simple.
Does a shipping warehouse qualify as a retail, brick-n-mortar store, and makes sales within the same state subject to state sales tax? Many states are saying "yes" to that, and happily collecting that tax.
Regional (or even local) warehouses make shipping times much faster - good for the customer, and Amazon, too.
Remember your original question, where shipping takes place from a different state? If Amazon also has regional warehouses IN your state, even though the product does not physically ship from that warehouse - then the state likely wants to collect state tax anyway. Whether they do - depends on what the individual state has decided.
Maybe Texas has determined that despite the fact that your order was processed in one state, and shipped from a different state, ultimately Amazon has a retail presence within Texas (your regional Amazon warehouse), therefore, Texas sales tax is collected, because the product is sold or delivered to a Texas address.
Some of this may not be completely accurate, but every state wants their share.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Some of this may not be completely accurate, but every state wants their share.

Well I thought American law was much more "united" . I never thought of every state act as if it is its own country. Very interesting.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Well I thought American law was much more "united" . I never thought of every state act as if it is its own country. Very interesting.

That's a bit of a leap - from each state having control over its own money - to "every state acts as if it is its own country"
There's a good reason the name of our country is "United States of America", and not "Unified States of America", and of course, they are far from "unified".
In theory, and way over-simplified, state law takes precedence over federal law.
Tax issues are complex, so I hope this doesn't degenerate into a political discussion - outside of the scope of this limited discussion about new SSDs available.

CharlesX

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2008
So is there no way to buy the Apple/Samsung 1TB commercially? I see them on eBay but not on OWC or elsewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.