Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
This post gave me the confidence to order. I do like a bright, cool white screen, and it sounds like that was the default on your machine. I like hearing that you were able to change it to your liking using simple procedures. Plus, any post from a Minnesotan (?) is always good. :)
I simply jotted down my experiences with it so far; your own experience(s) will of course depend on the machine you will ultimately pick up.
Yes, Minnesota. Twin Cities :)

Lake17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I simply jotted down my experiences with it so far; your own experience(s) will of course depend on the machine you will ultimately pick up.
Yes, Minnesota. Twin Cities :)

Oh, I definitely know how these screens can vary. If it doesn't work out, it goes back....I'm just glad to hear that some of them, at least, have a high level of brightness. It's an odds game. I just don't want to go back to PCs. I will post when we receive it tomorrow. :)

Lake17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Where did you buy it off from? Apple Store or another online retailer? If I were you, I would go to an Apple Store (if there's one nearby); and buy it there. I double checked my unit before I walked out of the Store to have that peace of mind.

Amazon. They have a nice discount on the specific model we wanted, (5% off) plus we were able to support our favorite Canine charity through the Smile program. I sound like a commercial for Amazon, I know....

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
Amazon. They have a nice discount on the specific model we wanted, (5% off) plus we were able to support our favorite Canine charity through the Smile program. I sound like a commercial for Amazon, I know....
I see. I bought it through the Education Store (back to school), the cost (tax & Apple Care included) was almost the same as buying it from Amazon; so I just picked it up from the Store. Oh, and they also gave me a $100 gift-card.

Lake17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
I see. I bought it through the Education Store (back to school), the cost (tax & Apple Care included) was almost the same as buying it from Amazon; so I just picked it up from the Store. Oh, and they also gave me a $100 gift-card.

Great deal for students! I am not one, so 5% is the best available deal as of today. Tomorrow night I will post my impressions. :)

Lake17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Well, initially, I am very happy with this new machine. The brightness level is very good...nothing like the machine I returned in January of '13. I am currently using the D65 calibration, and I'm pretty satisfied. My whites look nice and white. More later, as I get used to it.

Brandon-411

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Macville, USA.
This week I picked at a new 2014 13" rMPB, and while there is no visible IR (at least yet) and the brightness is fine, the left third of the screen has an odd pinkish tint to it. :( Kind of disappointed and am considering going back to the Apple Store to swap it out, but I am afraid any replacement will not have a perfect screen either.

I have an A018 display.

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
This week I picked at a new 2014 13" rMPB, and while there is no visible IR (at least yet) and the brightness is fine, the left third of the screen has an odd pinkish tint to it. :( Kind of disappointed and am considering going back to the Apple Store to swap it out, but I am afraid any replacement will not have a perfect screen either.

I have an A018 display.

I've just noticed a pinkish tint in the left fifth or so of my screen. Not sure if my mind's playing tricks on me now... :mad:

It could just be my perception, but I don't remember Apple being this hit-and-miss years ago.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007

I have an A018 display.
Could you send a screenshot?

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007

I have an A018 display.
Can u take a picture of the screen?

----------

A screenshot won't do no good - it needs to be an actual picture of the screen!
Oh right!

Brandon-411

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Macville, USA.
Could you send a screenshot?

Here is a picture I took with my iPhone 5. The quality isn't the best and it is kind of hard to tell, but the left side is definitely a bit pinker than the right. Ignore the dot near the center of the image, it is a speck of dirt on the camera.

2hGVo2B.jpg

I cropped the left and right sides and put them side by side so it is easier to see.

WhSt4XD.jpg

Honestly I wouldn't mind it as much if it were on the right side, but once most webpages and documents you start reading right where the screen is off color making it very obvious... I'm pretty disappointed that Apple hasn't been able to iron out the ongoing issues in the retina laptops since 2012.

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Here is a picture I took with my iPhone 5. The quality isn't the best and it is kind of hard to tell, but the left side is definitely a bit pinker than the right. Ignore the dot near the center of the image, it is a speck of dirt on the camera.

I cropped the left and right sides and put them side by side so it is easier to see.

Honestly I wouldn't mind it as much if it were on the right side, but once most webpages and documents you start reading right where the screen is off color making it very obvious... I'm pretty disappointed that Apple hasn't been able to iron out the ongoing issues in the retina laptops since 2012.
Hmm...damn mine is coming in soon but just exchange it anything I am sure you'll get lucky enough and get a working one

Brandon-411

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Macville, USA.
Hmm...damn mine is coming in soon but just exchange it anything I am sure you'll get lucky enough and get a working one

Yeah, I think I'll take it in later this week and get it swapped out. Hopefully yours has no issues!

I kept my last MacBook Pro for over 5 years, so frankly if I am buying a nearly $2000 laptop which I will keep for a good while, I don't expect issues such as this. :(

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Yeah, I think I'll take it in later this week and get it swapped out. Hopefully yours has no issues!

I kept my last MacBook Pro for over 5 years, so frankly if I am buying a nearly $2000 laptop which I will keep for a good while, I don't expect issues such as this. :(
Agreed....

Martin82

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
Issues are still present. I ordered top MBPr 15" about a month ago. 1st delivered one had a yellow tint on the left. Very disappointing. About a week ago I received 2nd MBPr where the white is pink as well as apple logo on the bazel. I went to the store to compare it with 2 different macs (15" and 13")...and there was a shock. Both were much much dimmer then "mine" (all set at full brightness) so I even didn't compere screen whites. I went to my friend to compere it with his iMac (where whites are white for my picky eyes) and after this comparison I am sure my white is pink. Amazingly disappointing for a 3500$ MB PRO(!!) which I really dreamed about for a long time. It's absolutely unacceptable for me. At this point I am not sure If I want 3rd exchange or my money back.

I dont remember the 1st MBPr's screen model, but the 2nd is A022 which is Samsung I guess (bright as it should be, all pink, pink logo)

Last edited:

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
Issues are still present. I ordered top MBPr 15" about a month ago. 1st delivered one had a yellow tint on the left. Very disappointing. About a week ago I received 2nd MBPr where the white is pink as well as apple logo on the bazel. I went to the store to compare it with 2 different macs (15" and 13")...and there was a shock. Both were much much dimmer then "mine" (all set at full brightness) so I even didn't compere screen whites. I went to my friend to compere it with his iMac (where whites are white for my picky eyes) and after this comparison I am sure my white is pink. Amazingly disappointing for a 3500$ MB PRO(!!) which I really dreamed about for a long time. It's absolutely unacceptable for me. At this point I am not sure If I want 3rd exchange or my money back.

I dont remember the 1st MBPr's screen model, but the 2nd is A022 which is Samsung I guess (bright as it should be, all pink, pink logo)

My advice is: Get your money back. I don't believe a perfectly even MBP display exists. I went through about four exchanges and one screen exchange and the result was the same each time. Get your money back and wait until the next MBP-revision; I have a feeling the issue will be solved due to upgraded Retina technology.

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
My advice is: Get your money back. I don't believe a perfectly even MBP display exists. I went through about four exchanges and one screen exchange and the result was the same each time. Get your money back and wait until the next MBP-revision; I have a feeling the issue will be solved due to upgraded Retina technology.

The 13 and 15" RMBP have been produced for two years now and so far only the image retention issue seems to have been properly addressed. I'm not sure the next revision will bring any improvement in terms of manufacturing tolerances, but who knows, perhaps the one after ?

Regarding wondering if one should get his or her money back or keep exchanging, I suppose it mostly depends on the intended use. As far as I'm concerned the RMBP 13" that I have now is less homogenous than the MacBook Air I used to be with, but it remains a lot more productive for preliminary photo editing than the Air (simply because it's an IPS display).

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
my screen has zero issues.

If this is the case, please load a black image in full screen mode, take a picture of the screen in a dark room. Post your results. Until I see it, I don't believe it. :)

----------

The 13 and 15" RMBP have been produced for two years now and so far only the image retention issue seems to have been properly addressed. I'm not sure the next revision will bring any improvement in terms of manufacturing tolerances, but who knows, perhaps the one after ?

Regarding wondering if one should get his or her money back or keep exchanging, I suppose it mostly depends on the intended use. As far as I'm concerned the RMBP 13" that I have now is less homogenous than the MacBook Air I used to be with, but it remains a lot more productive for preliminary photo editing than the Air (simply because it's an IPS display).

Well, the iPad Mini Retina had the same issue, but seems to be corrected with the iPad Air 2. Would think there would be a parallel, but might be wrong.

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
I don't believe a perfectly even MBP display exists. I went through about four exchanges and one screen exchange and the result was the same each time.
My rMBP screen is just fine. I've got this feeling that you guys/gals are just waaaaaay too much overlooking into simple things. Idk if it is a OCD thing or something (with all due respect) but, even mathematically your chances of getting four (actually five) defective products in a row is very, very slim.

Martin82

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014
My rMBP screen is just fine. I've got this feeling that you guys/gals are just waaaaaay too much overlooking into simple things. Idk if it is a OCD thing or something (with all due respect) but, even mathematically your chances of getting four (actually five) defective products in a row is very, very slim.

or maybe you are just blind. I showed issues to a person who is not connected with photography or graphic design etc. She confirmed my observation ( ie. I put a white screen on and asked her what did he see. The answer was "left side is darker and more yellow"). So many crazy people see pink/yellow/ dimm screens? Mathematically chances are low that everyone is crazy. I don't see such a problem with my friend's 2 or 3 years old iMac. It was bought for less then half of the price of MBPr. Morover, I have already received 3 yellow screened Iphones 6 in a row. I was in a store and difference was obvious. That is poor quality issues and no control over screen supplies. That's my opinion. I absolutely don't feel myself being to picky considering the price and a "pro" tag for a macbook.

Last edited:

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
or maybe you are just blind.
I will NOT take your response personally and start a discussion. I simply quoted psychedelia's response reading "I don't believe a perfectly even MBP display exists". If that was the case, you'd have not a handful, but hundreds of thousands or perhaps more threads out there. Why do you think it is the same/handful of people complaining about certain things?
In my case, my screen coating came off despite the fact that I have been following Apple's own instructions. I might have bought a defective product. That's something Apple needs to stand up and perhaps confess about their QC process.
Coming back to the screen uniformity (and various other related things), people out there might be in my shoes (as in a QC victim) or simply overlooking at stuff.
I am respectfully expressing my own opinion and I sincerely suggest that you do the same instead of doing all the name calling and everything.
Have a great rest of the evening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.