Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xMacFeinx

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2014
Seattle, WA
My 2014 Retina MacBook Pro seems to have a 'cold' screen. Comparing it to my older MacBook Pro it has a blue-ish tint. It's not enough to see with the naked eye; I've got to set both MacBook Pro's side by side to tell.

Like someone said I'm sure some people can just look at a screen and tell whether or not it has a 'warm' or 'cool' tint.

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
My rMBP screen is just fine. I've got this feeling that you guys/gals are just waaaaaay too much overlooking into simple things. Idk if it is a OCD thing or something (with all due respect) but, even mathematically your chances of getting four (actually five) defective products in a row is very, very slim.

I don't really think a non-uniform screen is a "simple thing". When I pay 4400 dollars for a product (yes, that's the price for a maxed out MBP in Europe), I expect everything to be pretty much perfect with the computer. Mathematically it would have been slim if it wasn't for the fact that I believe all of the MBP's with Retina inherit this problem. Again, I challenge anyone with a 2013 or 2014 MBPR who claim their screen is "perfect" or with "no issues" to load a black image on their computer in full screen mode and take a picture of their screen in a dark room. I'll rest my case the day I see one of these so-called perfect screens. And by the way, there are loads of threads about this problem, both here, and on Apple's own discussion forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I don't really think a non-uniform screen is a "simple thing". When I pay 4400 dollars for a product (yes, that's the price for a maxed out MBP in Europe), I expect everything to be pretty much perfect with the computer. Mathematically it would have been slim if it wasn't for the fact that I believe all of the MBP's with Retina inherit this problem. Again, I challenge anyone with a 2013 or 2014 MBPR who claim their screen is "perfect" or with "no issues" to load a black image on their computer in full screen mode and take a picture of their screen in a dark room. I'll rest my case the day I see one of these so-called perfect screens. And by the way, there are loads of threads about this problem, both here, and on Apple's own discussion forums.

I happen to think light bleed using your test is actually looking for problems. It's not a real world usage test. However I do believe the IPS panels Apple use do exhibit colour shifts across the panels having experienced it with several ipad Airs, minis and retina pros. These shifts are noticeable in normal usage scenarios and are totally unacceptable in my opinion.

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
I happen to think light bleed using your test is actually looking for problems. It's not a real world usage test. However I do believe the IPS panels Apple use do exhibit colour shifts across the panels having experienced it with several ipad Airs, minis and retina pros. These shifts are noticeable in normal usage scenarios and are totally unacceptable in my opinion.

You're right, it does accentuate the problem, but it also shows whether or not there is a problem in the first place. And yes, the issue is noticable during normal usage too. Yep. I had the same problem with three iPad Mini Retinas, the fourth one was acceptable, but not perfect. My iPad Air 2, however, does not exhibit the problem.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
You're right, it does accentuate the problem, but it also shows whether or not there is a problem in the first place. And yes, the issue is noticable during normal usage too. Yep. I had the same problem with three iPad Mini Retinas, the fourth one was acceptable, but not perfect. My iPad Air 2, however, does not exhibit the problem.

I've just learnt my lesson not to go "out of my way" to look for problems. Colour shift, dead pixels etc tend to jump out at you and are pretty much noticeable quite quickly. On iPads the same can be said, including book spine, dust under the screen etc.

Light bleed and IR are just not things I go looking for.

EDIT: I went through 5 iPad Airs from the Apple store which all had colour shift or dust under the screen. Eventually got one from John Lewis that was faultless. Went through 5 retina minis with varying degrees of yellow shift or ghosting around the status bar. Now waiting for a refurb 13" retina MBP to arrive having purchased one last week with several dead pixels and the replacement having an instantly noticeable pink tint on the left 3rd of the screen.

EDIT 2: However, my iPad Air 2 is faultless, as is my Retina 5K iMac.

emporiky

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I am relatively satisfied with my refurb 15'' 2013 rMBP, the only problem I am having is that there is slight light bleed on the left upper corner of the screen. The strange thing is that the difference between the left and right corner could be seen only on black screen. The other colours seem to be fine and I managed to get the preferred tone of white trough calibration :)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I am relatively satisfied with my refurb 15'' 2013 rMBP, the only problem I am having is that there is slight light bleed on the left upper corner of the screen. The strange thing is that the difference between the left and right corner could be seen only on black screen. The other colours seem to be fine and I managed to get the preferred tone of white trough calibration :)

I think the general belief is that you stand a better chance of getting a good screen with a refurb, as most new devices are returned for screen issues.

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007

I believe this is normal for "light bleed", mostly, I think it just raises the black point luminance, reducing contrast, meaning that the delta difference between tones in different parts of the screen gets smaller as tones get brighter. In fact, I think if the white point luminance is lower on the same part of the screen than in the centre, it's likely a middle grey tone will look practically identical between this part of the screen and the centre.

Don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong.

Martin82

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2014

Agree. I payed around 4000$ in EU and also expect screen to be as good as in other products I own or see (TVs, PC monitor, other notebooks). One of the main feature of MBPr is screen and its not ok. I don't need test or extreme measurement, just eyes to experience the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.