Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
A while back I was looking at a multi-purpose laptop and have been doing a bit of window shopping, researching, watching reviews and so on, mostly on the newer Mbps and iMacs. What keeps coming across my mind frequently is the storage on these things and how apple tries to cut every corner they can and pinch pennies and so on. There are other issues too that irk me. The more I think about things the more I think about things and so on. I'm not saying Macs are bad, just probably not for me, sure I've almost succumbed to buying one of the newest ones a few times I just couldn't.

So maybe I'll just build a new pc, though it's been years since I have and even used one. So recommendations are welcome as I've been out of the game for a bit

Right now I've got a case picked out
Fractal design define R5

A CPU
Intel i7-7700k kaby lake at 4.2ghz

Still looking on mobo (that's always a bit of a challenge) and ram, but probably do 16gb to start

Will probably stick a decent video card in as well for gaming, Nvidia of course

An SSD for programs, likely 256gb and maybe 1-2tb for storage as well as a spinner for backup

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Just ordered the case from Amazon, barring any issues, should have it in Friday.

Next step is to find a good mobo and ram combo for my CPU of choice.

Video card will probably be a hair later on, so psu probably needs found soon. Thinking about 800 watts?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I think I found my motherboard, ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING

It looks like a very popular board with some good reviews.

I'm still poking around and looking at stuff since the board will not be available until the 17th on Amazon

smeck

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
Aalesund Norway
I would recommend the Corsair HX850i psu, it very good and the fan does not run until its 50 degrees. I run a 6700k with a MSI gaming x 1080 no problem.
What cooling solution are you looking to use aio cooler or fans?
If you havent found a gpu yet the gtx 1080 plus models are a good value now.

Reactions: slitherjef

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
I would recommend the Corsair HX850i psu, it very good and the fan does not run until its 50 degrees. I run a 6700k with a MSI gaming x 1080 no problem.
What cooling solution are you looking to use aio cooler or fans?
If you havent found a gpu yet the gtx 1080 plus models are a good value now.

My case came in today, nothing to put in it yet, but that's kind of the idea, will give me a chance to figure out where to put it and have a look at the inside and get to know it's layout.

I'll probably do fans and if need be later on upgrade to water or something. The 1080 series was something I was going to look into, I don't need anything insane, but something that will take a bit of stress when I need it too should I fire up a game.

I think the next step is to order in a hard drive for storage,

an SSD (Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)) for program

CPU heat sink
Power supply
Windows 10
Thumb drive to run a live iso of a Linux distro to test things out a bit.

----

The ram, CPU gpu and motherboard will then come last as will as an updated monitor later on

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Looking like I am not going to have a PC built as soon as I wanted. Parts are still backordered or not in stock yet.

This morning I ordered my SSD, a 3tb Seagate barracuda drive and a power supply that is way beyond my needs, an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W, Fully Modular.

PSU and hard drive should be in by the end of the week. Have to wait on the SSD. Which is okay since the motherboard and CPU was still on backorder on Amazon the last I checked.

I guess this will give me time to select ram, a CPU cooler and a Blu Ray drive.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Is it your intent to build a hackintosh??

If this is going to be a windows rig look at X299 and put the bottom rung quad in it you'll be in the same ball park price wise as what you plan to build now but you'll have an upgrade path. The flip side and what I'd do is go all red team and go Ryzen AMD keeps it's sockets longer than Intel so you're going to get more life out of anything AMD if history holds and you supporting the underdog.

Since you've picked a case I find unappealing and loud but the community loves for some reason I'd fill it with bequiet! stuff so the computer might actually be quiet get their fans and coolers are high quality and are actually quiet.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Is it your intent to build a hackintosh??

If this is going to be a windows rig look at X299 and put the bottom rung quad in it you'll be in the same ball park price wise as what you plan to build now but you'll have an upgrade path. The flip side and what I'd do is go all red team and go Ryzen AMD keeps it's sockets longer than Intel so you're going to get more life out of anything AMD if history holds and you supporting the underdog.

Since you've picked a case I find unappealing and loud but the community loves for some reason I'd fill it with bequiet! stuff so the computer might actually be quiet get their fans and coolers are high quality and are actually quiet.

A hackintosh hadn't really crossed my mind, nor has the x299 system but that does bring a good point about upgradability. Amd kind of has crossed my mind, but I wanted to take advantage of Adobe software that'd I would probably use.

It's been a really long time since I've built a PC, years actually.

Since I have yet to order the actual insides, I'm sure I can change my mind on the build and go a slightly different direction.

I'd be interested in more information on the ryzen and x299 platforms

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
A hackintosh hadn't really crossed my mind, nor has the x299 system but that does bring a good point about upgradability. Amd kind of has crossed my mind, but I wanted to take advantage of Adobe software that'd I would probably use.

It's been a really long time since I've built a PC, years actually.

Since I have yet to order the actual insides, I'm sure I can change my mind on the build and go a slightly different direction.

I'd be interested in more information on the ryzen and x299 platforms

What does AMD have to do with the creative suite?

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
What does AMD have to do with the creative suite?

AMD has nothing to do with the creative suite,

I hear Nvidia, Adobe and Intel use processes (Cuda) together better. Not that I am huge video editor or pro. I do want to dabble in 4K and maybe raw formats. Photography and some gaming is going to be the PCs main use.

I do have one major concern and that is going to be heat, no matter what system I end up with.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
AMD has nothing to do with the creative suite,

I hear Nvidia, Adobe and Intel use processes (Cuda) together better. Not that I am huge video editor or pro. I do want to dabble in 4K and maybe raw formats. Photography and some gaming is going to be the PCs main use.

I do have one major concern and that is going to be heat, no matter what system I end up with.

CUDA is an nVidia thing Intel has nothing to do with it. If you do want to edit video you're going to want cores which is why older Mac Pro's can keep up with the trash can with both FCP and Premiere.

Heat is managed via the CPU cooler and newer AMD and Intel need to dissipate the same amount of heat so just pick the quietest cooler you can find and just roll with it.

I'm a bequiet! fanboy so my case is a silent base 800, all my fans are silent wings, my cooler is a darkrock pro 3, my power supply is an 80+ platinum dark power pro. PC components are all about what you're willing to pay for what you want, I want silent and cool and am willing to pay you have to decide what you want.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
My power supply, SSD and hard drive finally came in. I am still waiting for the main parts to be in stock around the same time before ordering. I could also go in a slightly different direction on the build. There are still several things I need before I actually build the thing.

I do have thoughts on the new 27" iMac. I do wonder if that would be a safer and reliable machine for what I wish to do. I think pricing would actually be similar to the PC build, if I chose the right bto iMac.

One thing that really concerns me is the airflow and potential to overheat.

Last edited:

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
The iMac is nice but keep in mind that it's fairly difficult to upgrade compared to a desktop PC. Plus if you want to upgrade your video card, you'd have to spend several hundred on an external GPU box on top of whatever you're spending on the video card itself.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Still waiting on the i7 parts to become available and also wondering if maybe I should give amd ryzen a chance.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
What will you be running beside games?

Probably Lightroom and possibly Photoshop and light video which includes time lapse, and 4k and possibly raw if the options come up.

Bottom line is I don't want to worry if I have a task I want to do

ryzen 7 1800x looks to be similarly priced to the i7 build

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Probably Lightroom and possibly Photoshop and light video which includes time lapse, and 4k and possibly raw if the options come up.

Bottom line is I don't want to worry if I have a task I want to do

ryzen 7 1800x looks to be similarly priced to the i7 build
I would just buy a 1700 and eventually do an easy overclock to 3.9 GHz.
All the Ryzen should be able to do 3.8 comfortably at worst.

An advantage of the 1700 is that it comes with a LED cooler, but not the biggest one. I have seen it running at 3.85 but would probably dial it down to 3.7 just to be safe.

In any case, 4.0 or 4.1 would be the absolute limit with a better cooler for practical purposes. I think the optimum for the process is around 3.3 and becoming quite power hungry above 3.9 .

I would start stock, move to 3.3 if I needed more speed, then to 3.7, and eventually look for a cooler or upgrade.

You need a B350 or X370 board to overclock. X370 can do SLI and has a bit better connectivity.

Ryzen likes fast RAM. Check that the board can now support at least 3200MHz, which is quite common.

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
One question has been kind of bothering me and that is, with my Lightroom on my MBP and library on the external drive as well as the raw images being dumped on the drive as well is it going to be a problem getting at least the raw images moved to Windows?

I still suspect macOS would be a bit safer for my non replaceable images.

Yes I do appear split down to both platforms. It'd be a no brainier if Apple would stop charging insane prices on storage and soldering everything together

Last edited:

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
More research this morning since the Intel board I've been looking at has a ship date of mid July...and was not shipping from Amazon but a 3rd party

The ryzen 7 1700x build looks ok, until I realized that board I was looking at had no on board video, which is not a huge issue but it requires a video card with purchase and since I was looking at an upper range card, I'd likely be looking at 500 bucks along with the purchase of the main guts at once. I haven't even looked into cards yet.

I have a 27" iMac kind of built,
  • 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 512GB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
  • Magic Trackpad 2
  • Magic Keyboard - US English
$2750.00

Plus tax, shipping and potential month wait...

In the mean time I have an m.2 SSD, a HDD, the power supply and a nice case sitting and waiting

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Prices of the R9, the RX 470,480,570,580, the GTX 1060,1070 are inflated now because the miners are depleting the inventories.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Prices of the R9, the RX 470,480,570,580, the GTX 1060,1070 are inflated now because the miners are depleting the inventories.

Building a PC is one of the best thing I ever decided to do. It's unfortunate that the miners are running up the price of gpus.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
More research this morning since the Intel board I've been looking at has a ship date of mid July...and was not shipping from Amazon but a 3rd party

The ryzen 7 1700x build looks ok, until I realized that board I was looking at had no on board video, which is not a huge issue but it requires a video card with purchase and since I was looking at an upper range card, I'd likely be looking at 500 bucks along with the purchase of the main guts at once. I haven't even looked into cards yet.

I have a 27" iMac kind of built,
  • 4.2GHz quad-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • 8GB 2400MHz DDR4
  • 512GB SSD
  • Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB video memory
  • Magic Trackpad 2
  • Magic Keyboard - US English
$2750.00

Plus tax, shipping and potential month wait...

In the mean time I have an m.2 SSD, a HDD, the power supply and a nice case sitting and waiting

Forgive me for not reading enough of the previous post, but is this the price of a iMac that you are looking to build? $2750 could build you a killer PC.

I built a PC this last summer, buying the parts over the course of a month (so some deal shopping, but nothing major). I got a very roomy, phantex case, along with: i7-6700k, asus gtx strix 1070, 16 gb ram (ddr4, 3000+ mhz, I don't remember which because I don't have the processor overclocked...yet), 512 gb ssd (sandisk, high end), asus z170 pro gaming mobo, 4 corsair led fans, corsai gtx h100i liquid cooler for cpu, tp-link pci-express AC network card, corsair k70 mechanical keyboard, a corsair gaming mouse (can't remember the name), and a nice Asus moniter for about $1300-1500. I also had two spare 2tb hard drives, that are used for plex and onedrive cloud-local sync.

In regards to your previous post, why would you have problems moving raw data files from lightroom? At one point, I was using a 2016 MBPtb with my desktopo, syncing all raw adobe files via onedrive, and there was zero compatability problems.

Eventually, I got frustrated with the skylake mbptb, and moved to a dell xps 9560 on a steep sale, and couldn't be happier.

Anyway, I am sorry for the lengthy post, but I am here to help if you have any questions.

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
BTW, the ram I have sitting in my wish list is:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

will this work for either system or just intel?

I am still waiting for parts to become available. Evidently this is NOT the time to build a PC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.