Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kettle

macrumors 65816
WOW! joking!

Kimberley said:
Boy have you got time!

Im NEW to Mac so didnt know you can't spell it a certain way!
People like you will make mac users decrease. You're doing apple no justice!

Its better you teach than preach sarcasm.

If you havent got any good advice then why bother waste your time?

There was actually "good" advice in there. When I say "keep yer PC" I meant buy any mac, they're all lovely, just DON'T throw away your P.C. because you could use it for Team Folding.

As for MAC or Mac, the little waste of typing I posted was just to annoy the "MAC doesn't mean Mac" idiots. I know very well that even spelling mistakes are understood by those who who wish to point out their failures, and as a reward for their unblinking eye for a well ordered world, I like to mess with them. (however badly received)

Sorry that you felt this was an attack at your newness, I know you will enjoy your soon to be "Mac Life" more than your "PC Life" or for that matter any of my postings, past, present or future. :p

Anyway, time you got down to an Apple shop, while the PowerBooks are freshly updated. May you be spared from a month before update purchase :)

mrviga

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
* G4 Powerbook 15.2" 1.5GHz
512 Ram (What is the difference between 1 SO-DIMM and 2 SO-DIMMs)
80Gb (5400 rpm)
DVD-R/CD-RW
Radeon 9700 (128 MB)
Bluetooth, Airport Card, USB, Firwire 400 & 800, Backlit keyboard, Applecare

1964.76 (UK Price inc. educational discount

I just ordered the updated 17" yesterday and when I checked, the difference between the 15" the way you have it configured and the 17" is only $100. I dont know if the difference will be that minimal in the UK, but check it out. If portability isn't that big an issue for you, the 17" is infinitely awesome.

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
kettle said:
As for MAC or Mac, the little waste of typing I posted was just to annoy the "MAC doesn't mean Mac" idiots.
Oh so there is no difference between MAC and Mac then? Oh ok - in that case PC means "Personal Computer" therefore Mac == PC. Apple themselves refer to the Mac as a Personal Computer on the G5 page, therefore all Mac users are PC owners and users.

Obviously you do not appear to have much experience in the IT world and so I will let it slide, however to some of us there is a BIG difference between Mac and MAC, particularly when discussing networking.

What's your MAC address? Have you registered your MAC with your ISP? Has your MAC changed?

Do you even know what a MAC address IS?

Datazoid

macrumors regular
May 10, 2002
I noticed that both of your options have the Superdrive option...any specific reason for this? You could save yourself £140 on the PowerBook by downgrading to a DVD/CD-RW (I find it strange that Apple UK charges £100 more for the SuperDrive on the PowerBook than on the iBook...sounds like a typo to me). I would definitely recommend the PowerBook over the iBook for what you will be doing, though, not necessarily because its more "future-proofed" as others have said, but because you will find the 1024x768 resolution of the 14" iBook to be EXTREMELY restrictive; I still have no idea why they would cripple it with such a low resolution (you have the same amount of screen space on it as you would with the 12" iBook). As others have said already, do NOT get any RAM upgrades from Apple...they are simply not worth the outrageous costs. Crucial is a great vendor of Mac RAM; I have also found MemoryX/WeLoveMacs to be very reliable and trustworthy as well. I would NOT suggest purchasing RAM that is not specifically designed for Macs, however; even though it is quite a bit cheaper, if there are any problems with it down the road, many vendors will claim that they do not test on Macs, and therefore your warranty does not apply (I have had this experience recently, specifically with a stick of Corsair RAM). Returning to the cost issue, although I will not say you *shouldn't* get AppleCare, I will say that in the past 3 years that I have had Macs, only one has needed attention (iBook 500Mhz), and that was within the original 1 year warranty period. However, computers (especially laptops) do have a relatively high failure rate, no matter the brand, and it gives many peace of mind to have AppleCare.

Also, have you used Mac OS X before? If not, you will discover that there are several important differences (aside from aesthetics) from Windows (not ALL of them good — nothing is perfect). I would recommend checking out MacOSXHints, they have a lot of neat little tricks in their database that can improve your experience. There are many other good resources out there; even just doing a search of these forums will reveal a good deal of information. VersionTracker is a well known website that hosts tons of Mac downloads (freeware & shareware); do a search of the forums, many people have listed their favorites. Also, many people despise the 1 button mouse (or trackpad in this case...I love it, but that is beside the point), so you may want to look into getting a 3 button external mouse. Pretty much any mouse will work, although there are "Mac-styled" mice that work better aesthetically.

Congratulations on your new Mac, and good luck with it!

kettle

macrumors 65816
This is a thread about purchase advice, not communication protocol

Skiniftz said:
Oh so there is no difference between MAC and Mac then? Oh ok - in that case PC means "Personal Computer" therefore Mac == PC. Apple themselves refer to the Mac as a Personal Computer on the G5 page, therefore all Mac users are PC owners and users.

Obviously you do not appear to have much experience in the IT world and so I will let it slide, however to some of us there is a BIG difference between Mac and MAC, particularly when discussing networking.

What's your MAC address? Have you registered your MAC with your ISP? Has your MAC changed?

In a thread where someone is asking for advice on buying an iBook or a Power Book there is NO DIFFERENCE between MAC or Mac or mAc, we all know the context in which it was used, except YOU.

p.s. a mac = pc when bmw = car

have you understood that people don't do it to annoy you? (except me) they just do it because most of the time it doesn't matter?

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
e-coli said:
Go for the PowerBook for the bigger screen. You'll need it for design work. plus you can hook a "real" monitor up to it and it can be an extension of your desktop. iBooks only mirror what's on your laptop screen on your monitor.

Powerbook is a MUCH better decison.

I second that - if you can afford it - go for the powerbook. Much better screen for design work. And maybe next year you get yourself a 20" LCD !

brhmac

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Planet Earth
Someone call the Nobel committee...

Skiniftz said:

You know what? You're a real humanitarian.

In case you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.

And as for your use of "IS," do you mean "Information Systems" or the present tense of the verb "be"? Why capitalize "is"? If you're trying to be sarcastic - we know you're caustic - the emphasis should be in the form of italics.

D'uh!

Guess all the money your parents gave you for grammar lessons went to your PhD in MAC-ology.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Anyway Kimberly, I suggest getting what ever is best for your wallet. RAM is the most important issue here. Any designer will tell you this. Machine is pretty much non-issue. All the art professors at my campus have B&Ws in their office (I dunno what spec) and slightly faster Mystics in the lab (dual 450). Whatever machine you get I'd say should have a minimum of 1GB of RAM. That will allow you to work with larger documents, multiple documents, and scan at larger resolutions. Whatever machine you buy now will defiantly last at least 3-4 years in the design world, as long as you have the RAM. Many designers still have OS9 run machines as their primary work hounds, so anything in Apple's current lineup should suite you fine.

DesterWallaboo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2003
Western USA
Powerbook... definitely

I do visual effects in the film and broadcast television world. Definitely get the Powerbook. The RAM expansion abilities, video card, LCD screen quality and even the durability of the aluminum case make it all worth the extra bucks.

And... don't get your extra RAM from Apple.... purchase it from http://www.ramjet.com or http://www.crucial.com ..... it will save you a bundle of cash and memory installation on the Powerbook is a breeze.

Nny

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Skiniftz said:
Please - it's Mac, not MAC. MAC in caps is a recognised acronym of "Media Access Control" and is part of the Ethernet standard and nothing to do with the Apple Mac.

</anal>

I thought it was "Apple Macintosh". All this new age slang confuses me! Maybe Jobs will change it to the Apple "Granny Smith" and dump the "Mac" moniker. Make them bright green. And if you think Aqua was lickable, wait until they make the OS slightly tart to the taste. I'd buy one.

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
Nny said:
I thought it was "Apple Macintosh". All this new age slang confuses me! Maybe Jobs will change it to the Apple "Granny Smith" and dump the "Mac" moniker. Make them bright green. And if you think Aqua was lickable, wait until they make the OS slightly tart to the taste. I'd buy one.
Beat you to that one in a previous post I'm afraid... :D

Kimberley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2004
GOODBYE PC! HELLO Mac!

I DID IT!!! :) :D

Ordered my Powerbook 15.2", 1.5Ghz today and I can't wait to get it. Thanks to everyone for the advice - it helped alot!

Not only will this be my first mac, but my first laptop - FREEDOM HERE I COME! No more am I restricted to sit at my desk - I now have the option to be in a different environment. :cool:

With your question about my internet setup on my PC, it is broadband connected with Cable USB Modem. This is an option in UK, not sure if it is used outide UK. I can use an ethernet connection but I didn't bother to get a card put into my PC so had to run off the USB Modem -But I do have an ethernet lead.
Does this mean I can still use this setup on the powerbook? Only thing I'm guessing is that if I do I'll have to be in one place as that wouldn't make it wireless.

When I get my Powerbook I'll let you know how I'm getting on.
And lets all forget about this 'mac' issue, I didn't know it was gonna become such a big topic - although it has been a bit of a laugh. :D

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Kimberley said:

Ordered my Powerbook 15.2", 1.5Ghz today and I can't wait to get it. Thanks to everyone for the advice - it helped alot!

Not only will this be my first mac, but my first laptop - FREEDOM HERE I COME! No more am I restricted to sit at my desk - I now have the option to be in a different environment. :cool:

With your question about my internet setup on my PC, it is broadband connected with Cable USB Modem. This is an option in UK, not sure if it is used outide UK. I can use an ethernet connection but I didn't bother to get a card put into my PC so had to run off the USB Modem -But I do have an ethernet lead.
Does this mean I can still use this setup on the powerbook? Only thing I'm guessing is that if I do I'll have to be in one place as that wouldn't make it wireless.

And lets all forget about this 'mac' issue, I didn't know it was gonna become such a big topic - although it has been a bit of a laugh. :D

Congrats!!!

As for the USB modem issue, since it does have an ethernet port, then it will work with your powerbook. You are going to have to get a wireless router to use the powerbook wirelessly.

The Apple Airport Extreme Base Station is a Wireless router, but may other companies also make wireless routers that are cheaper. Just be sure to get one that is 802.11G

rogerw

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2004
west sussex UK
kimberley - if u can, get the wireless broadband set up. ive got it here at home (not office yet though) and its brill. Absolutely no idea how it was set up, a mate sent one of his engineers round to sort it, but well worth

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
Kimberley said:

Awesome! :cool:

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Kimberley said:
I DID IT!!! :)

Congrats. I don't forget to tell us what you think and what your expierence are. I think it will take you 2 or 3 days to find out how everything works on the Mac because its partly a little bit different then on the PC site. Most things are much easier, but because you are used to the PC you don't think that it just works and try to find out how. You will see what I mean.

If you have questions. Come here.

Cheers

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i just want to add something to the endless MAC/Mac discussion

how to most people in here type BMW ? right "bmw" in small letters ... do you want to write it out everytime ? ("Bayrische Motorenwerke") perhaps bmw in small letters mean something different.. same with "vw" vs "VW" which means "Volkswagen"
does it make a difference ? no because everybody knows what is meant with it because of _context_
same with "mercedes" (which is only a name like "John") when they mean the "Mercedes-Benz" cars produced by DaimlerChrysler (Daimler-Benz before)

same in the political "the us" are accept for "the united states of america" (short "the USA" in capital letters would be correct)

sorry for being off topic but the people who don't like this shouldn't be so nitpicking ...this is an international forum and nobody can be right all the time

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
Skiniftz said:
Please - it's Mac, not MAC. MAC in caps is a recognised acronym of "Media Access Control" and is part of the Ethernet standard and nothing to do with the Apple Mac.

</anal>

I thought it was "Money Access Card" . .

Skiniftz

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2004
Kimberley said:

Well I hope you like it! Ok - I guessed you were in the UK. Your USB cable connection is not going to work with the Mac. The PowerBook comes with ethernet built in, so no problems there - you can just connect it straight into the cable modem until you get your wireless sorted out.

Now the relevance of the MAC / Mac issue. You are going to have to tell your ISP (NTL? Telewest?) the MAC address of your Mac. (to my critics: notice how the caps make the distinction). Kimberly - a MAC (Media Access Control) address is a unique number that is associated with your computer's network ports. The cabled network socket in the PowerBook has a unique MAC address, and you must tell your ISP this number before the computer will work using your cable modem. (Cable companies in the UK usually allow 5 MAC addresses to be registered; note "MAC" has nothing to do with "Mac" - every networked device that uses Ethernet has a MAC address) ISP's do this to restrict the number of computers that you connect to their network.

The easiest way to find out the MAC address of a PowerBook is this:

Open up the system preferences (it looks like a white square with an Apple logo on it in the dock along the bottom of the screen).

Click "Network"

If you see a list, pick "Built in ethernet", then "configure".

Click the button in the row that says "Ethernet"

You should see a number called "Ethernet ID:" - it will look something like this 00:0a:95:12:34:56 - this is a MAC address, and it is the number you will need to tell your ISP.

Note that when you go wireless, the Airport interface will have a different MAC address - you can get this in the same way, but choosing "Airport" rather than "Built-in Ethernet".

Now - how confusing would this have been if you didn't know the difference between MAC and Mac? :D

amnesiac1984

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2002
Europe
Skiniftz said:
Well I hope you like it! Ok - I guessed you were in the UK. Your USB cable connection is not going to work with the Mac. The PowerBook comes with ethernet built in, so no problems there - you can just connect it straight into the cable modem until you get your wireless sorted out.

Now the relevance of the MAC / Mac issue. You are going to have to tell your ISP (NTL? Telewest?) the MAC address of your Mac. (to my critics: notice how the caps make the distinction). Kimberly - a MAC (Media Access Control) address is a unique number that is associated with your computer's network ports. The cabled network socket in the PowerBook has a unique MAC address, and you must tell your ISP this number before the computer will work using your cable modem. (Cable companies in the UK usually allow 5 MAC addresses to be registered; note "MAC" has nothing to do with "Mac" - every networked device that uses Ethernet has a MAC address) ISP's do this to restrict the number of computers that you connect to their network.

The easiest way to find out the MAC address of a PowerBook is this:

Open up the system preferences (it looks like a white square with an Apple logo on it in the dock along the bottom of the screen).

Click "Network"

If you see a list, pick "Built in ethernet", then "configure".

Click the button in the row that says "Ethernet"

You should see a number called "Ethernet ID:" - it will look something like this 00:0a:95:12:34:56 - this is a MAC address, and it is the number you will need to tell your ISP.

Note that when you go wireless, the Airport interface will have a different MAC address - you can get this in the same way, but choosing "Airport" rather than "Built-in Ethernet".

Now - how confusing would this have been if you didn't know the difference between MAC and Mac? :D

If your gong to be that pedantic about this Mac MAC issues then why don't you write MAC as M.A.C. seeing as its an acronym. Then nobody would get confused (not like anybody did).

ephica

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2004
Nny said:

you are my hero :D

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Skiniftz said:
Actually it's Macintosh, commonly abbreviated to "Mac". Yes everyone knows that Apple don't market "The Mac" as "Mac" anymore, however its what it is still referred to as. If I said I have a Mac, people know what I mean. (If I have a MAC then I would be talking about something else.)

they stopped marketing it as Mac? right.... "every mac needs .mac!" thats really not referring to it as Mac! I'm just imagining things! </sarcasm>

ok
i think that you should get the powerbook. i believe the have better lifespan, they have faster processors, better video, more ram (oh sorry RAM) capacity, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.