Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyproductions

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2014
Are there any known alternatives to the part you are using (i. e. i have a FS8860 33C on some dead graphics card) or does it have to be this particular thing?
Seeing some less-serious shops call FS8860 and 1117 family regulators interchangeably. I think they are about the same.
They might be serious after all. Cause yesterday i had some unexpected success in that case! šŸ˜Š

Just out of curiosity, as i had the AMS1117 allready desoldered and had this FS8860 around, i clamped the thing to the solder pads and put the card in the Quicksilver to see, if there would be any sign of life. With the AMS on it, the QS didn't even bong.

To my very surprise the QS booted up nicely. So my first thought was the chip wouldn't have made real contact to one ore more of the pads and the card had been completely ignored. But System Profiler showed all of the info just like in the Sawtooth! So i soldered the part down...

Chip.jpg

...to do some real testing. And all i can say is, it just works!

Operation including booting is just like one would expect from one of the machines these cards are known to work in. So i did some benchmarks using the very same SSD, to see at least read speeds are noticeably faster than in the Sawtooth.

Sawtooth results:

Sawtooth Standard.png

Sawtooth Extended.png

Sawtooth XBench.png

Quicksilver results:

Quicksilver Standard.png

Quicksilver Extended.png

Quicksilver XBench.png

I'll never understand stupid XBench's scoring scheme, giving just 30 point more for nearly double the read speeds. But, this aside, results speak for themselfs.

Card is a SIL 3114, running the WiebeSATA firmware. Cannot say, if this will work for everybody in any Quicksilver. But for my part, i have yet to come across any problems. And, as mentioned above, with the regulator it came with, the QS didn't even bong with the card installed.

So chances are, the FS8860 is a second option to get these things working in Quicksilvers...alltogether with a slightly more pleasant look than what i've seen of the MIC29150 so far... šŸ˜

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.