Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
For those of you who are concerned about phone size...have your tried a device like iRing? I have no connection to this company and there are lots of competitors and knock offs. I have found the iRing-like devices made such a huge difference in how I use and enjoy my phone and it barely adds any bulk. My friends and Fam who see it always want to try and end up buying one. I used to always grabbed the phone like a bar of soap and balanced it on my pinky...but no more. Using my 6s plus is so easy and it makes the size so manageable.

My mom has one for her 6s and it is a amazing for the arthritis in her hand.

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Interesting. I use a kickstand style case on my larger phones for the same purpose, though, it isn't nearly as flexible as the iRing.

Attachments

• IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3507.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 171

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The issue with the size for me, is that I constantly have to take it out of my pocket. Yes, there's an issue about it being holdable as well, but its also carrying size. I don't see how the iRing can help me in my usage

Reactions: ATC and Digger148

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
I went from a 3 and half inch pos Android phone two years ago to an 4.7 inch iPhone 6 and thought it was gigantic. I recently upgraded to a 5.7 inch LG and it feels small to me. I guess I have gotten used to big phones.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
If phone is too big, the best option is exchange for a smaller one.

As human get older, we tend to make simple thing more complicate, because we have all the desire we want it all, even we could not have all. And we create even more complicate solution to try to solve complication problem we created from a simple original problem, because we want it all.
I bet if you ask a kid in grade school, they will give you same most logical answer, get a smaller one.

Reactions: Goatllama

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
If phone is too big, the best option is exchange for a smaller one.

As human get older, we tend to make simple thing more complicate, because we have all the desire we want it all, even we could not have all. And we create even more complicate solution to try to solve complication problem we created from a simple original problem, because we want it all.
I bet if you ask a kid in grade school, they will give you same most logical answer, get a smaller one.

Except what if you didn't enjoy the small one as much...Inwent back and forth between the 6 and 6 plus over and over when they first came out and did what you said...I stuck with my 6 for a year and didn't like it. And when the 6s plus came out...I bought it and loved and then loved it even more with the iRing. Amazing part about humans is their creativity and ability to create things! A simple invention and I can enjoy the phone I want.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Except what if you didn't enjoy the small one as much...Inwent back and forth between the 6 and 6 plus over and over when they first came out and did what you said...I stuck with my 6 for a year and didn't like it. And when the 6s plus came out...I bought it and loved and then loved it even more with the iRing. Amazing part about humans is their creativity and ability to create things! A simple invention and I can enjoy the phone I want.
You're starting to read like you have a connection to iRing, in my opinion.

Edit: A couple mentions of it in your posting history as well. Hmm.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

Like I said, human can't satisfied all of desire. Look for what you need, not what you want.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
5se also sounds like it's going to be a great, current gen option if it indeed gets A9 processor.

Honestly the most appealing thing about the 6+ to me is the pixel density. I've got an iPad, retina MacBook Pro and hdtv for when I need screen size. A smaller but pixel dense screen can go a long way for enjoyable viewing on the go. :)

Reactions: Simche

Digger148

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
"If phone is too big, the best option is exchange for a smaller one.

I bet if you ask a kid in grade school, they will give you same most logical answer, get a smaller one."

If you knew each and every person's "use scenario" I would pat you on the back, but, unfortunately, there are situations where the grade school kid's logic doesn't work.

Speaking of work, I'm required to carry a Nexus 6 for work and it is not a great fit for either my hands nor pockets. I don't have a smaller phone option available. I found a way to make the N6 easier to use by fitting it with a stand/case.

I have a good friend that has retina pigmentosa. She requires a very large font size and a large screen device makes it easier for her to see. She uses a Note 5, but, with her small hands she finds it very awkward. I rigged a device similar to the iRing for her phone and it has made a positive difference in her everyday use.

What do you find complicated about the iRing? I don't understand the problem with buying what you want and coming up with a way to make it work for yourself.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
What do you find complicated about the iRing? I don't understand the problem with buying what you want and coming up with a way to make it work for yourself.

iRing has no issue, it is the idea of MUST have big phone because they "want" to not they "need" to, even though it does not fit they hand, they still "want" to, not "need" to.

For your case, of Nexus 6, why Nexus 5 is not an option? Is it the case if you ask for cheaper Nexus 5, your company will say no? Is it really "need" to, or simply you "want" to.

If your friend have vision issue "need" bigger screen to even see clear, it is "need" to, then finding more complicate solution to help handle bigger phone make sense.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
You're starting to read like you have a connection to iRing, in my opinion.

Edit: A couple mentions of it in your posting history as well. Hmm.

Lol! I wish. I'm just a regular ol' SAHM. If this was my invention I would be thrilled. Wish I had thought of it.
[doublepost=1455836169][/doublepost]
"If phone is too big, the best option is exchange for a smaller one.

I bet if you ask a kid in grade school, they will give you same most logical answer, get a smaller one."

If you knew each and every person's "use scenario" I would pat you on the back, but, unfortunately, there are situations where the grade school kid's logic doesn't work.

Speaking of work, I'm required to carry a Nexus 6 for work and it is not a great fit for either my hands nor pockets. I don't have a smaller phone option available. I found a way to make the N6 easier to use by fitting it with a stand/case.

I have a good friend that has retina pigmentosa. She requires a very large font size and a large screen device makes it easier for her to see. She uses a Note 5, but, with her small hands she finds it very awkward. I rigged a device similar to the iRing for her phone and it has made a positive difference in her everyday use.

Exactly! My mom needed the bigger screen to see her phone better. At 70+ having things in bigger text helps her a lot. But, her arthritic hands didn't like the heavier phone. I just like not having to grip the phone anymore. It just works in my lifestyle.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
iRing has no issue, it is the idea of MUST have big phone because they "want" to not they "need" to, even though it does not fit they hand, they still "want" to, not "need" to.

For your case, of Nexus 6, why Nexus 5 is not an option? Is it the case if you ask for cheaper Nexus 5, your company will say no? Is it really "need" to, or simply you "want" to.

If your friend have vision issue "need" bigger screen to even see clear, it is "need" to, then finding more complicate solution to help handle bigger phone make sense.

There's a lot of stuff that you buy that you simply just want and don't need. And you know what? That's perfectly fine. Human beings are curious and want better things. If we would just settle with what we have we would be stuck in the Stone Age.
I would never use that product. But still think it's great that people solve their problems so they can use what they 'want'.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
There's a lot of stuff that you buy that you simply just want and don't need. And you know what? That's perfectly fine. Human beings are curious and want better things. If we would just settle with what we have we would be stuck in the Stone Age.
I would never use that product. But still think it's great that people solve their problems so they can use what they 'want'.

I never say it is not good to be creative, I just say simplest option is pick the right one you need, not you want. If you want to pick something you want, instead of something you need, and spent a lot time and $$$$$ try to solve the problem was not a problem to start with, if you picked something you need, not good.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Holding it isn't the issue. I want the phone to be smaller so it is easier to carry and more inconspicuous. This device does nothing for me.

thatanonymoususer

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2015
If you're going to be slapping a ring on the back of your phone, you might want to check out Linkmount. It isn't as re-useable since it uses 3M mounting tape, but it does use magnets to mount to things, it's compatible with tripods, you can add a wrist strap, and it doubles as a kickstand.

EDIT: Not affiliated in any way. I just supported their KickStarter, and I like how it turned out so I want to see them succeed.

Last edited:

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
apple has confirmed that the 5se will have the a9 processor...if it has 2gb ram , I might go back to a 4" iphone when my contract's up in 10/17 if the 7s has no headphone jack or no reduced bezels.

the 6s is a little too big for true one-handed use. i don't know how 6s+ users do it.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
apple has confirmed that the 5se will have the a9 processor...if it has 2gb ram , I might go back to a 4" iphone when my contract's up in 10/17 if the 7s has no headphone jack or no reduced bezels.

the 6s is a little too big for true one-handed use. i don't know how 6s+ users do it.

Apple has not confirm anything. Still are all rumor. It might be very strong possibility rumor, but definitily nothing confirmed by Apple about any iPhone in 2016 yet.

Reactions: Simche

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
The 5.5 inch iphone is perfect size for me. I don't think I would like anything bigger or smaller.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Apple has not confirm anything. Still are all rumor. It might be very strong possibility rumor, but definitily nothing confirmed by Apple about any iPhone in 2016 yet.

An Apple exec has quietly confirmed the a9 in the 5se. Google it.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Reachability. All the time. Double light tap that home button and I can get to anything. Occasionally it's annoying, but most of the time I have a free other hand.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
An Apple exec has quietly confirmed the a9 in the 5se. Google it.

Who? Ask anyone to google it on something you brought it up is just irresponsible or lazy or maybe too much imagination.

Added: If you are talking about below article, read it again included FULL content, not just title or other website's interpretation. John Srouji never mention 5se. It is still consider as "rumor" no confirmation. Yes, it might be true, but saying he confirmed is wrong.

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-johny-srouji-apple-chief-chipmaker/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.