Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
This is not surprising at all.

You have to have your holiday lineup nailed down by now if you want anyone to be able to stock your products.

Obviously Apple has a little more flexibility than that because they control two significant distribution channels: their web store and their retail stores.
But, still, its bad business to sell products that your distribution partners can't get because they were released too late. Do that once or twice and soon you won't have any more distribution partners.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
Lovely, the 24" Cinema display is obsolete now that the low end iMac also runs 1440 for like $100 more. New displays should have been refreshed this year.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I can't see what else they'd update. In the past month: iMac, Macbook, Magic Mouse, Time Capsule. Previous update: iPod nano, iPod, iPod Shuffle. And they had unibody updates a few months ago. What more do you want?

leducviolet

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
darn! I was waiting for the last round of updates to purchase a new 13" MBP, but there was no movement. so I decided to wait a little while longer, and now it looks like I'll be waiting til next year.

i'm hoping there are some minor internal adjustments and I can justify buying a new MBP within the next couple weeks. just because the holiday lineup is set doesn't mean they can't overstuff the stocking a bit, right!? :confused:

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Bummer guess we will have to wait until the next special event next year

-wiseguy-

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2009
well i guess there is no need to visit this site for 2 months hahahha :rolleyes:
Solid year though, and I'm sure 2010 will bring some great products!

jragosta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
educated guess here but I'll bet there will be updates next month (November), the macbook was updated after only 5 months so its possible for the macbook pro too.

We're supposed to believe that your 'educated guess' means more than plain words from an Apple VP? Don't count on it.

Way to put a damper on the stock Phil! :eek::

You've got it backwards. There are too many rumors of tablets and MBPs floating around. The worst thing for Apple is if people hold off on buying. Apple wants them to spend the money now instead of waiting to see if there's something new.

Everyone should know by now that when Phil says "no product", he really means "yes, there's a product, but I can't tell you about it yet."

Everyone should know that based on what? You have evidence that a senior officer of a public company has made statements that are flat out lies? Why haven't you reported it to the SEC?

Original:

"There are not going to be any new Apple products this year."

Revised:

"The holiday lineup is set."---

Parsing this:

1) this year--->holiday... does that include: Thanksgiving? Christmas? Chanukah? What about after Dec. 25?

2) new Apple products--->lineup... does this mean there could be new Apple products this year that won't be available for the holidays (in the "lineup")?

3) nothing--->set... Does set include: Already announced? Only those available for delivery? Any unannounced products, that could be announced, and possibly, available for (air freight) delivery?

There is all kinds of wiggle room in the revised statement-- interesting that Apple felt it necessary to post a clarification.

This is just plain insane. You conspiracy nuts need to grow up. It was a flat statement that there would be no new Apple products this year. There's not much wiggle room in that (although I guess one could argue about minor upgrades like 10.6.2 which will likely be out before the end of the year, but I don't think anyone considers that a new product).

No new products means just what it says.

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
Hmm... To buy a MacPro now, or not to buy a MacPro now... :confused:

One word: wait.

I can't believe the current MacPro won't be updated soon: updated processors, DVI + Display Ports (maybe HDMI? we can only dream); eSata ports to support fast external RAID arrays); bigger HDs (7200rpm, 2TB); BluRay burner and player;

the Pro is long in the tooth now, and awaiting a likely January time frame announcement is worth it, in my view. If one doesn't get announced, then buy one in January.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
This is just plain insane. You conspiracy nuts need to grow up. It was a flat statement that there would be no new Apple products this year. There's not much wiggle room in that (although I guess one could argue about minor upgrades like 10.6.2 which will likely be out before the end of the year, but I don't think anyone considers that a new product).

No new products means just what it says.

Just to encourage the conspiracy nuts, "Our Holiday lineup is set" was first uttered at the earnings call...on the 21st...the day before the hardware updates.

Just sayin'

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
You've got it backwards. There are too many rumors of tablets and MBPs floating around. The worst thing for Apple is if people hold off on buying. Apple wants them to spend the money now instead of waiting to see if there's something new.

WINNAR!!!

Finally someone understands.

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
I was really hoping for a new Apple TV hardware update. Oh well.
The timing is wrong for an Apple TV update.

Apple's margins on the Apple TV hardware is pretty low, then need to reduce costs, possibly by switching from a multi-chip Intel architecture to an ARM-based SoC (System-on-a-Chip) from P.A. Semi. In order to do that, they would probably write a new operating system, something in between the iPhone OS and Mac OS X.

They just wrapped up the Snow Leopard 10.6 release and its support for HTTP Live Streaming, so it's possible that they can focus attention on this new operating system and the developer environment required for a new platform. That takes time, so would think sometime in the spring of next year, the required pieces (new silicon, new OS, new SDK) would fall into place.

Also is the question of content. Apple probably needs to renegotiate contracts with Hollywood and add missing providers such as HBO. These negotiations take time and again, I think six months from now we could expect some changes.

Right now doesn't make sense after a major operating system release.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
They didn't post a clarification, but were asked for one.

No, read the story on gizmodo. Apple called them and clarified what Schiller was supposed to say. I think this is a massive give away that there may possibly be something. I'm not saying there is, I am saying it is possible.

Here ya go:

"Update: Interesting, after reading this, Apple called and said that the actual quote is "The holiday lineup is set." Weird. As far as I know, if "the holiday lineup is set," then there would not be any new products in 2009, right?"

-Gizmodo, http://gizmodo.com/5390583/phil-schiller-no-more-apple-products-this-year-[update-apple-called]

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC

In all seriousness, a very slim minority of potential Apple purchasers are up to date on any rumors pertaining to Apple.

There are still people who ask for a grape iMac.

L0s7man

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2009
Well, Sony was lying about new PSP and new PS3 until the last day. They were saying over and over again that NOTHING is coming. Hehe...

Lineup is set... Set for release? In any case, update in specs is just that, not a new product. There won't be NEW MBA, but there might be CURRENT MBA, slightly improved ;-) Or maybe the matte option for 13" MBP? That would be nice.

Unfortunately Apple sucks... Just read that new iMac will not take DVI/HDMI input. And I WAS SET to buy that damn thing. Now I'm back to the drawing board and need to figure out what to buy...

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Damn, since 10.6 came out my Quad G5 can no longer be updated so I will move on when the next MacPro comes out, but now I guess it will not until next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.